Ridiculous: OU players not allowed to do 'Horns down' gesture during B12 title game

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Some of these rules need to be enforced equally.
A Bama player was given a penalty this year in the Ole Miss game for doing the landshark sign after a big play. Yet Ole Miss players are allowed to do the sign when they celebrate a play. To me it should be.... everyone can do it or no one can do it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am of two minds. On the one hand, it is clearly taunting. They are not doing it to celebrate a great play. They are doing it to rub their opponent's nose in the dirt. I am not sure why anyone would want their child to behave like that. And, if we would expect our children to behave better, then it is not unreasonable to expect the same of grown men.

On the other hand, most of these guys are talking trash all game long. The least of their offenses through the game is probably a hand gesture like this. You see it everywhere. A RB runs over a guy and he gets in his face. A WR makes a catch and immediately gets in the face of the DB that he beat. Same applies on the other side of the ball. Talking trash isn't new, and it is generally accepted, but it is most assuredly taunting.

IMO, the taunting rule is put in place to avoid the kind of bench clearing nonsense that we see virtually every year in the Egg Bowl. It amounts to babysitting men because they cannot be trusted to act like men. But what happens if we stop enforcing the rule?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some of these rules need to be enforced equally.
A Bama player was given a penalty this year in the Ole Miss game for doing the landshark sign after a big play. Yet Ole Miss players are allowed to do the sign when they celebrate a play. To me it should be.... everyone can do it or no one can do it.
If Alabama did it in every game, they would be allowed to do it in the Ole Miss game.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
A little off topic, but in the same breath of sportsmanship, I liked the way Mullen stopped mid interview to prevent his players from planting a flag mid logo at Doak Campbell stadium.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
To Texas' fans it is like giving the middle finger. I would call that taunting.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Guys, from the time UT made "Hookem Horns" and the hand sign part of their tradition opposing teams have flaunted the Horns Down symbol. Fans do it in the stands. We call them UTerus because the Longhorn head resembles a female part They call us Mobilehoma, Landthieves, and Dirt Burglars. When they sing " Texas Fight" the change the words to Give em hell, Give em hell, OU SUCKS. This is our most hated rival and the feeling is mutual. This rule is absurd.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It's taunting, not that far of a stretch. Might be to keep a brawl from breaking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weird, cause I've seen no shortage of hook'ems given by Texas in their games throughout the season

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Why ridiculous? I mean, I find it funny, but it definitely falls under taunting. Yeldon got that penalty in 2014 for doing the Manziel money sign and then a throat slash.

While I think the overall rule of celebration and taunting needs looking at, this seems to at least be consistent with what the NCAA currently enforces.

I absolutely hope they keep those kind of celebrations out of college football....big reason I lost interest in the NFL.

As Coach Bryant once said; 'act like you've been there before, and plan on being back.'

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.