Per ESPN: Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech expected to announce retirement

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
good, maybe Tech can be competitive again and take some the wind from Kirby’s sails. He’s just a few lost assistants and a coordinator away from returning Georgia back to just above average. I think having recruiting competetition in state would help tip that. I HATE GEORGIA!
Georgia Tech will never truly compete with Georgia in recruiting. The facilities and notoriety of the program just are too far behind right now. Couple that with the fact that Tech has limited financial means in the athletic department, and the odds are that they will never be a consistently upper-end college football program. Even under George O'Leary, when they had perhaps their best run of sustained success since the Dodd era, they couldn't really move the needle much in terms of upgrading facilities, etc. This is why I think their best approach in hiring a coach should be to get someone who can bring instant attention to the program and who has a proven track record in recruiting. That person may only stay 3-4 years and move on to the next best gig, but it could put the program in a better position moving forward.

Some friends and I were talking about how the school is viewed nationally and we agreed that the most comparable power 5 program is probably Purdue. A public research school that competes at the highest level in athletics, but only every 10 years has a really competitive season, at least in football.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Georgia Tech will never truly compete with Georgia in recruiting. The facilities and notoriety of the program just are too far behind right now. Couple that with the fact that Tech has limited financial means in the athletic department, and the odds are that they will never be a consistently upper-end college football program. Even under George O'Leary, when they had perhaps their best run of sustained success since the Dodd era, they couldn't really move the needle much in terms of upgrading facilities, etc. This is why I think their best approach in hiring a coach should be to get someone who can bring instant attention to the program and who has a proven track record in recruiting. That person may only stay 3-4 years and move on to the next best gig, but it could put the program in a better position moving forward.

Some friends and I were talking about how the school is viewed nationally and we agreed that the most comparable power 5 program is probably Purdue. A public research school that competes at the highest level in athletics, but only every 10 years has a really competitive season, at least in football.
the academic requirements at tech are a challenge as well

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Yes, and I think that gets down-played by a lot of other schools who are highly regarded academically, but those schools have a liberal arts program and don't require all students to take two semesters of calculus. That is a big deal from a recruiting perspective.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Paul Johnson to announce retirement. I never understood why he continued to run the option when he had to know he wasn't going to win a national title with it. Thank god DaBaxter was wrong in his prediction and Johnson wasn't hired here. I have no doubt he would have ran it here and it would have been a disaster.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nson-retire-coach-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets
Yup & I'm grateful he was never hired as our HC as well..He's a decent enough HC, but, one of his shortcomings as a HC was recruiting..You have to be relentless on the recruiting trail when you're the HC at Alabama & he was never a top notch recruiter at all..That would've been his downfall at Bama & I'm forever grateful we didn't have to live through that.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Yes, and I think that gets down-played by a lot of other schools who are highly regarded academically, but those schools have a liberal arts program and don't require all students to take two semesters of calculus. That is a big deal from a recruiting perspective.
I just scratched them off my list as well [emoji3]. Two semesters? That's crossing a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
That and other challenges primarily matter for recruits from Georgia. If GT positions itself as a national school for academics and football, à la Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, I don’t see why they couldn’t be successful, with the right coach, in that conference. Plus, walking distance to the Varsity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Purdue is in Indiana. There aren't many good football players in Indiana and midwestern programs other than Ohio State,Michigan and Notre Dame can't pull in the kids from SoCal or the South. GT doesn't have to out recruit UGA. They could feast on the "leftovers" in the state of Georgia and still get a bunch of 3 stars and some 4 stars. My question is whether the GT alums will pony up the money to hire a rising young coach and good assistant coaches. I'm guessing that Kiffin is out of their price range. Kingsbury would likely be paid more as an OC at Tennessee than he would as a head coach at GT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.