JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Georgia preview: A rematch in name only, as so much has changed
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 29th, 2018 02:22 AM

The last time we saw the Georgia Bulldogs, they – like everyone else in the college football world – were staring, dumbfounded, at an Atlanta scoreboard trying to make sense of what they had just witnessed. Alabama’s true freshman backup quarterback, some guy named Tua Tagovailoa, had […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Thanks Jess! Any thought/insight into the coaching matchup this weekend? Does Kirby show that he learned from the master and stick to what's worked for Georgia all season, or does he hit the panic button if they go down 2-3 scores? Will be interesting to see if the roles are reversed from the NCG (if Tide is up, say, 13), does Smart insert Fields in much the same manner as Saban did with Tua.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write up. My score prediction was similar. The key is to stop their run game. I am hoping Bama can run the ball well too. I know Tua will do his job in the passing game.

RTR!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This last line really sums up he whole thing...

The best way to answer the question of whether Alabama would make the College Football Playoff in the event of a loss to Georgia, is simply not to lose to Georgia. From where we sit, something weird would have to happen to make such an event come to pass.
I agree with every call you made. The only quibble worth making is at RB. Yah, they probably deserve the nod because of production, but I really think our group is better top to bottom. I think early season struggles were more a factor of a gelling O-line and then we haven't really needed to run it all that much because we have the best QB is the history of a program that is already the best in history.

It's really semantics I suppose as GA's unit certainly has been more effective.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Nice work with your preview and analysis, Jess. I'm really looking forward to the game. Both are quality opponents and it should be quite a war.

I wanted to congratulate you on such an outstanding performance on your predictions this year:

Editor’s Note: Last week marked the season’s end of our weekly SEC Preview and Predictions article. Last week’s results were an 8-0 record, for a season total of 93-17 (84.6%). The SEC Championship Game is our final game to be counted for 2018; bowl predictions are not included.
93-17 is truly remarkable and worthy of noting.

Thank you again for an entertaining and informative predictions thread each week and best of luck in Atlanta on Saturday.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks, Jess. I will take any win under the circumstances.
I just hope nothing weird happens, a la Auburn or Ole Miss, that leads to a late score for them.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Good write up.

I'm still wondering which Ga. is gonna show up.
I watched several games where Ga. looked down right ordinary,
and I watched a couple of games where they looked like championship material.
My prediction is similar to yours. I picked us to win 42-21.
The difference is Tua.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for your analysis. I look forward to it each week. It always makes me feel better when you predict a nice win. I hope it end like you predicted. I always think it will but worry it won't.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks Jess! Any thought/insight into the coaching matchup this weekend? Does Kirby show that he learned from the master and stick to what's worked for Georgia all season, or does he hit the panic button if they go down 2-3 scores? Will be interesting to see if the roles are reversed from the NCG (if Tide is up, say, 13), does Smart insert Fields in much the same manner as Saban did with Tua.
I've always thought Kirby was good head coaching material (he was going to be my choice to replace Saban here eventually, but that was all going to be contingent on Georgia's job situation, at least to some degree). I typically refrain from getting into coaching matchups because with Bama, on gameday, Saban is very involved with the defense but only tangentially involved with the offense. So if the offense is struggling, what is Saban going to do about it other than coach the coaches on that side of the ball? So much of what we see in a game is scripted, or at least the fruit of preparation done on a Tuesday the week before the game, that what we call "coaching advantage" these days oversamples things like picking the right spot to fake a punt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.