For those into "graded" autographed sports paraphernalia.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't know how many on the board collect graded autographed sports paraphernalia. If so I've got an interesting story for you. One of my friends is big into collecting sports paraphernalia of all kinds. I collect baseball and football cards only. But he is into Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey cards, tickets to games, autographs etc. Sometimes he'll send something off to be "graded" by one of the grading services. He recently sent a boxing ticket signed by Evander Holyfield from one of his championship fights. Holyfield signed the ticket literally with my friend watching him do it. The grading service sent the ticket back with a letter stating "in their opinion" it was not authentic so they couldn't grade it. He calls the company and talks with a representative and has a 45 minute conversation with the guy. The representative told him they had over 300 examples of Holyfield's signature and their staff (which includes hand writing "experts") determined the one he sent was not authentic. My friend said I couldn't stop laughing the entire time he was telling him this and kept repeating "I literally watched Holyfield sign the ticket. I was standing three feet from him."

My friend said this brings up an interesting point. That if these services can make a mistake on recognizing a signature and reject it as not being authentic, the reverse was just as likely. How many items have they deemed as authentic that weren't, yet have been sold many times over for astronomical prices? These auctions and "seal of authenticity" that have to be on most items sold in the auctions may not be as authentic as they claim. But once that seal of approval has been stamped by a recognized grading service. Whether truly real or not, it is now "real" and "authentic" within the market.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't know how many on the board collect graded autographed sports paraphernalia. If so I've got an interesting story for you. One of my friends is big into collecting sports paraphernalia of all kinds. I collect baseball and football cards only. But he is into Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey cards, tickets to games, autographs etc. Sometimes he'll send something off to be "graded" by one of the grading services. He recently sent a boxing ticket signed by Evander Holyfield from one of his championship fights. Holyfield signed the ticket literally with my friend watching him do it. The grading service sent the ticket back with a letter stating "in their opinion" it was not authentic so they couldn't grade it. He calls the company and talks with a representative and has a 45 minute conversation with the guy. The representative told him they had over 300 examples of Holyfield's signature and their staff (which includes hand writing "experts") determined the one he sent was not authentic. My friend said I couldn't stop laughing the entire time he was telling him this and kept repeating "I literally watched Holyfield sign the ticket. I was standing three feet from him."

My friend said this brings up an interesting point. That if these services can make a mistake on recognizing a signature and reject it as not being authentic, the reverse was just as likely. How many items have they deemed as authentic that weren't, yet have been sold many times over for astronomical prices? These auctions and "seal of authenticity" that have to be on most items sold in the auctions may not be as authentic as they claim. But once that seal of approval has been stamped by a recognized grading service. Whether truly real or not, it is now "real" and "authentic" within the market.
Along similar lines I have two "autographed" pics of Mark Ruffalo, the Hulk in the new Avengers movies. He must've signed one with his foot or something, but they both claim to be authentic. It's the thought that counts lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Along similar lines I have two "autographed" pics of Mark Ruffalo, the Hulk in the new Avengers movies. He must've signed one with his foot or something, but they both claim to be authentic. It's the thought that counts lol.

The autograph market is big business. About ten years ago I remember seeing a news segment on all the fraud that was in it. They showed Mark McGwire a lot of items he supposedly signed. He took one look at the signatures and instantly said they weren't his. But the stuff had been repeatedly sold for big sums of money with a forged signature.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless you can pull DNA off the item, you can’t prove the person actually signed it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Unless you can pull DNA off the item, you can’t prove the person actually signed it.

I'm currently reading a book called Mint Condition. Great book on the history of trading cards (specifically baseball cards) in American history. Seeing that baseball cards went from a kid's hobby to being considered a financial instrument, fakes have become a real problem at auctions and grading services over the years.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I collect arrowheads for fun, and there is always that same issue: Genuine or not. Modern arrowheads were a problem, so the Cert. Of Authenticity business became popular. The problem with that is some authenticators were incompetent, and some were just dishonest. I was pretty heavily involved for years buying and selling nationally, so I learned all the inside details of this stuff.

The bedrock lesson I learned is no authenticator has a perfect record, every one has called some wrong.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
What about buying NFL/MLB/NHL/etc. autographed jerseys, et. al. off official team/league sites? Any authenticity issues here?
You should have a lower risk of encountering "fakes" on official team/league sites. But again, unless you actually see the player sign it. You cannot be 100% sure it is authentic. The autograph memorabilia market is so lucrative, the incentive for employees within the big companies to perpetuate fraud is very real.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
You should have a lower risk of encountering "fakes" on official team/league sites. But again, unless you actually see the player sign it. You cannot be 100% sure it is authentic. The autograph memorabilia market is so lucrative, the incentive for employees within the big companies to perpetuate fraud is very real.
That's what I figured. I'm looking into getting some autographed jerseys in the near future for the man cave wall. I just have to decide if I want to drop a few hundred bucks. Since I'm buying to keep for my temporal duration, I'll never know if they are fake. I'll probably go for it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That's what I figured. I'm looking into getting some autographed jerseys in the near future for the man cave wall. I just have to decide if I want to drop a few hundred bucks. Since I'm buying to keep for my temporal duration, I'll never know if they are fake. I'll probably go for it.
If you're buying from an official team/league website the item probably comes with a certificate of authenticity. Which more than likely means they paid the player to come in, sit at a table for several hours and sign jerseys in front of a company representative. That is what trading card manufacturers (Topss, Upper Deck etc) do when putting autograph inserts into their trading card packs. What used to happen was they would send the player 1,000 cards to sign and then return to the company. But, as you would know it, they started finding out that there were times the player got tired or simply didn't want to do it and got someone else to sign the cards. So now they have the player come in for a set amount of time and sign "X" amount of items at their facility.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.