Notre Dame should be seeded fourth

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I still think that a one loss conference champion whether OK or OSU will jump ND. It would send them a message. Besides, I would love Bama to hang 50 or more on them.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
If Ohio St blasts NW, ND will have 1 team in the top 20. Oklahoma and Ohio St will have atleast 2 each.
Using latest cfp rankings,

ND has played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.
OSU has played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.
OU has played 3 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Clemson has played 2 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Bama has played 4 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.

Assuming all favored teams win, next week it could look like this:

ND will have played 1 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10 (assumption being NW drops out).
OSU will have played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10 (assumption being NW drops out).
OU will have played 4 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10 (Texas counts twice).
Clemson will have played 2 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Bama will have played 5 top 25 teams, 2 of those is in top 10.

If number of top 25 teams faced and number of top 10 teams is used as a criteria for SOS, it's hard to argue against Bama's resume, they are battle-tested. Conversely, it would seem that Clemson's schedule was every bit as unchallenging as Notre Dame's, arguably easier.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson, unlike Alabama, cannot afford the trip up against Pitt. They will not make the field with a loss.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Clemson, unlike Alabama, cannot afford the trip up against Pitt. They will not make the field with a loss.
Clemson is an outstanding and talented team with a monster DL and a stud RB, but they are arguably the least tested team among the contenders. They only played 2-teams worth a crud all season and they barely won those two (TAM & Syracuse). Now they have beat the snot out of some mediocre teams for what that's worth.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
For me it's 100% nothing to do with worry. My statement is based solely on what I think the ranking should be. Last year, I had fear of OU, and that was all based on Baker Mayfield.

Not to take away from Murray, but he doesn't scare me like Baker did even though Murray may actually be better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
FIFY. You are getting your A&M QBs mixed up. :)

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Using latest cfp rankings,

ND has played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.
OSU has played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.
OU has played 3 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Clemson has played 2 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Bama has played 4 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10.

Assuming all favored teams win, next week it could look like this:

ND will have played 1 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10 (assumption being NW drops out).
OSU will have played 2 top 25 teams, 1 of those is in top 10 (assumption being NW drops out).
OU will have played 4 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10 (Texas counts twice).
Clemson will have played 2 top 25 teams, 0 of those is in top 10.
Bama will have played 5 top 25 teams, 2 of those is in top 10.

If number of top 25 teams faced and number of top 10 teams is used as a criteria for SOS, it's hard to argue against Bama's resume, they are battle-tested. Conversely, it would seem that Clemson's schedule was every bit as unchallenging as Notre Dame's, arguably easier.
Three top 25 teams for Notre Dame. Syracuse is number 20. Pitt just fell out of rankings and will likely stay out with a lose to Clemson this weekend in ACC championship game. Stanford would likely replace NW if they win their rescheduled game and NW happens to fall out after this weekend.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
??? I still see two tops???
Three top 25 teams for Notre Dame. Syracuse is number 20. Pitt just fell out of rankings and will likely stay out with a lose to Clemson this weekend in ACC championship game. Stanford would likely replace NW if they win their rescheduled game and NW happens to fall out after this weekend.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not a Notre Dame fan, but I think some people are really not giving them enough credit. Even in the BCS Championship Game, yes Alabama dominated them, but they still belonged there. They won their games, they played a legit schedule, they belonged. This season? They went undefeated, and they did so according to Sagarin playing a tougher schedule than Alabama and Clemson.

I'm not going to argue that is actually true, but I will say this much. Playing a slightly tougher schedule shouldn't erase a loss, that's ludicrous. Oklahoma lost and Ohio State lost (badly). As things stand right now, their SoS is within seven places of each other, but Notre Dame is undefeated.. No way on earth that Notre Dame should be ranked behind either of them.

I also find it odd that some Alabama fans seem to be following a line of logic that would actually have kept Alabama out of the playoffs last year. Notre Dame shouldn't get any extra credit, but they finished the regular season undefeated. That is of no less value than if Oklahoma or Ohio State had done the same.

Edit: I will also add that this fixating on the top 25 is silly and arbitrary. For instance, was it a top 25 team that beat Ohio State (Sagarin has Purdue at 37th)? So clearly, it's not just playing top 25 teams that matter. I figured it out before, but basically only top 50-60 teams really matter, everything below that doesn't in terms of a contender. But, no way on earth that people should count top 25 teams like it's some magical importance, what if a team is 26-30? You're going to tell me that's a huge difference?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not a Notre Dame fan, but I think some people are really not giving them enough credit. Even in the BCS Championship Game, yes Alabama dominated them, but they still belonged there. They won their games, they played a legit schedule, they belonged. This season? They went undefeated, and they did so according to Sagarin playing a tougher schedule than Alabama and Clemson.

I'm not going to argue that is actually true, but I will say this much. Playing a slightly tougher schedule shouldn't erase a loss, that's ludicrous. Oklahoma lost and Ohio State lost (badly). As things stand right now, their SoS is within seven places of each other, but Notre Dame is undefeated.. No way on earth that Notre Dame should be ranked behind either of them.

I also find it odd that some Alabama fans seem to be following a line of logic that would actually have kept Alabama out of the playoffs last year. Notre Dame shouldn't get any extra credit, but they finished the regular season undefeated. That is of no less value than if Oklahoma or Ohio State had done the same.

Edit: I will also add that this fixating on the top 25 is silly and arbitrary. For instance, was it a top 25 team that beat Ohio State (Sagarin has Purdue at 37th)? So clearly, it's not just playing top 25 teams that matter. I figured it out before, but basically only top 50-60 teams really matter, everything below that doesn't in terms of a contender. But, no way on earth that people should count top 25 teams like it's some magical importance, what if a team is 26-30? You're going to tell me that's a huge difference?
Honestly I don’t get this weird fascination for ND by Alabama fans. How many threads is this in the last month whining about ND not playing an extra game.

Where was this whining in 2015 where Oklahoma got in over Ohio St? Yeah I guess Bama fans can excuse it when it adversely affects Urban Meyer when Ohio St was clearly the better team.

Where was this argument last year? Again as long as we benefit and Urban is playing in a NY6 bowl that no one will remember.

I get that there is this perception that ND gets the benefit of the doubt undeservingly amongst Bama fans because of the 60’s and 70’s, but if we are being honest... since 2001 Oklahoma has gotten way more passes than any other team in the country. But yet only me and Selma acknowledge this almost.

But ND deserves to be in the top 4 and anyone that says otherwise is letting their biases get in the way because I know if the situations between Alabama and ND were flipped this board would be saying we should be in even though we played 12 games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
why in the world does everyone seem worried about OU? have you seen their defense?

No, seriously, if you have seen the OU defense, please point them out because no ones seen them at their games.

Tua would have a field day against them.
Murray would not against our defense.
^^^this^^^

OU scored 21 points on Army in regulation!!! Had to go to OT to win! Bama would double the score on OU. 40-20, 60-30, 80-40, etc.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
??? I still see two tops???
Michigan, Northwestern, and Syracuse are all top 25 currently. That's three currently (it was four last week). It's possible they could have five by Sunday (If Pitt pulls upset, if Stanford wins).

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You are 100% correct.Like the rest of CFB, I had already forgotten about Michigan...my bad.
Michigan, Northwestern, and Syracuse are all top 25 currently. That's three currently (it was four last week). It's possible they could have five by Sunday (If Pitt pulls upset, if Stanford wins).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.