Game Thread: Alabama at UCF (yes, that UCF)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The inside guys need to be taught to jump into a big player when they take it up instead of fading away and giving him space to block the shot. Smith faded away on a jump hook and hit nothing but air. The big UCF player (Fall) was a definite impact on defense but he could have been fouled out with a little better play on Bama's side.

Hall passed up on a couple of shots (one when he had to be less than 2 feet from the basket) when the big UCF player was on the bench. This made no sense but was likely carryover from a couple of earlier blocks by UCF.

Mack struggle to fit in again and only played 14 minutes. Petty did not shoot well at all. I'm still expecting points game-in-and-game-out from these two.

Lewis had 14 points and I think 12 came in the 2nd half. He wants the other players to score but at some point earlier in the game, he needs to put up more shots. He leads the team in scoring now.

The first 5-8 minutes of the game was a jumbled mess for Bama's offense. I don't know if it was the lineup or just a slow start at getting comfortable with the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm scared to read the earlier comments.

This was pitiful to watch. I literally recorded it, waited about an hour, and fast forwarded thru most of the game. I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll add: something is terribly wrong when your leading scorer (and arguably best player) is a 17 year old that really ought to be playing HS basketball this season.

Kira's going to be a really good player, but the fact he's our best one right now is mystifying.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The officiating was about as bad as it could get last night with horrible calls on both sides of the court. UCF got away with 2 flagrant fouls that were called as regular fouls instead. I believe both of them were against Donta, the first when a UCF poppped him in the mouth with his elbow and the second when a UCF player grabbed him and slung him to the ground. The second might have been a bit of acting on Donta's part but the replay wasn't clear and it should have been a flagrant foul. I saw a few bad calls in our favor, once when Dazon (?) shot the ball and the UCF player blocked it cleanly and they called a foul on the UCF player. I agree with others that bad officiating makes it difficult to watch college basketball which is a shame because college basketball used to be so exciting.
I lost interest years ago (played in HS one year) when it became “bodyball “. Our pickup games at the park were cleaner than any organized b-ball today, and back then if it didn’t draw blood or break something it wasn’t a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I lost interest years ago (played in HS one year) when it became “bodyball “. Our pickup games at the park were cleaner than any organized b-ball today, and back then if it didn’t draw blood or break something it wasn’t a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the officials should let the teams play and call it fairly for both sides. It's the bias for one side over the other that bugs the stew out of me, plus they call so many fouls the flow of the game is constantly interrupted. The continual going to the monitor to review drives me crazy in both basketball and football. This may be more so in football than in basketball but I get very annoyed when a team has no timeouts but the officials continually stops play for several minutes to review something minor giving that team a free timeout. Let the teams play and only call fouls in the most obvious situations and the game of basketball would be much more fun to watch.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I'll add: something is terribly wrong when your leading scorer (and arguably best player) is a 17 year old that really ought to be playing HS basketball this season.

Kira's going to be a really good player, but the fact he's our best one right now is mystifying.
Agreed, where the hell is Petty?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
yeh, sometimes it's not as complicated as it seems. He is what we've seen i think. Not a good ball handler or passer, but streaky 3 point shooter with athleticism. gotta play to our guys' strengths and weaknesses

Could be, he's just not that good of an overall player. He's a shooter that can be dealt with pretty easily on the defensive end is what I see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.