Latest Dabo comment to keep me hating

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
How can it be a quarterfinal game if 5 conferences have championship games trying to create the same kind of playoff excitement. ;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, Dabo said that if Clemson loses a football game less than 24 hours before the final CFP committee vote then they are out.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It certainly doesn't in this case. It did help us last year, when we didn't play in it. I find it a little odd that the other teams in consideration for one of the top 4 spots have such an easy game to win this week (ND- off, Clemson - Pitt, Ohio St - Northwestern, Oklahoma - Texas), while two of the top 4 have to play and possibly eliminate each other. Notre Dame has a better chance to lose in its bye week than any of the other contenders, with the exception of Oklahoma, who is playing a team that already beat them once (tough to beat the same team twice though, just ask Auburn).
That's ultimately his point. If you really want the top 4 teams -- why make them play another game that means nothing? If Alabama and Georgia are two of the Top 4 -- they should both be in.....the SECCG was fine until the playoff format started. Now, it's just a roadblock to a deserving team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's ultimately his point. If you really want the top 4 teams -- why make them play another game that means nothing? If Alabama and Georgia are two of the Top 4 -- they should both be in.....the SECCG was fine until the playoff format started. Now, it's just a roadblock to a deserving team.
You are forgetting about the $$$$$.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It certainly doesn't in this case. It did help us last year, when we didn't play in it. I find it a little odd that the other teams in consideration for one of the top 4 spots have such an easy game to win this week (ND- off, Clemson - Pitt, Ohio St - Northwestern, Oklahoma - Texas), while two of the top 4 have to play and possibly eliminate each other. Notre Dame has a better chance to lose in its bye week than any of the other contenders, with the exception of Oklahoma, who is playing a team that already beat them once (tough to beat the same team twice though, just ask Auburn).
Most of the other conferences are a hot mess this year outside of a couple of teams. That’s why the ‘Bama didn’t play anybody ‘ argument doesn’t hold water. 2 of the 3 SEC losses this year were to Clemson, and A&M shoulda won and Carolina put up almost 650 yards against them. Best argument that Georgia should get in with a loss.
[/URL][/IMG]

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
How about this...when the ACC has both the #1 team, and the #4 team in the Nation playing in a ACCCG with the same criteria that Bama and UGa have...come talk to me about it. Other than that, this is ridiculous.

ROLL TIDE!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I will be one who says he likes Dabo.
Yes, but aren't you the guy who likes gals with *TROUBLE* written all over them? :biggrin2:

(You notice that I didn't write that as "tattoo", for reasons that should seem obvious. Well, at least in the context of this thread.)

(I'll stop now, while I am ahead.)

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
See his quote below. I'm not sure how the ACC championship is a quarterfinal. With that logic, so was the iron bowl.

Isn't the requirement that EITHER team has the opportunity to progress if they won? Let's take a look....

2014 FSU (#4) GT (#11)
2015 UNC (#10) Clemson (#1)
2016 Clemson (#3) VT (#23)
2017 Miami (#7) Clemson (#1)
2018 Clemson (#2) Pitt (unranked)

So one year, maybe, the other team could have made the playoffs. Man I hate dabo. And can a mod fix "Dani" to dabo please?

From this article
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tate-oklahoma-loses-happens-then?platform=amp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This reads to me like his team is slopping around in practice and he's trying to motivate them to play hard and focus in on this game against Pitt. Sounds like his team may be acting like they can "mail it in". Piqued my interest in this game. May have to watch it now.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Like Coach said last night ---

If we didn't have Conference Championships......the four best teams are: Alabama, Clemson, ND and Georgia.

The SECCG does nothing to help teams get into the playoff......
Respectfully, I disagree. Were it not for the championship game last year, odds are even we would have stayed home.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I get where Dabo is coming from. I believe this is a follow up to the ungrateful fans speech he had. Some of their fans are probably not excited about this game and he is reminding them if they lose they won't be in the playoffs. So come out and support the team. No shot taken at Bama.

I also like Dabo.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think what Dabo is saying is that the ACC is an "elite" conference and the champion is always going to end up being in the playoffs and the loser out, so in that sense it is a quarterfinal.
dsp, I think you are right.

No, not particularly. I just dislike Dabo and took the quote as an excellent opportunity to disparage him. Even if out of context......Even if he hasn't said it. Even if he wasn't Clemsons coach
In that spirit, the proper reply to Dabo's remark is "Maybe if you coached in a league as tough as the SEC you might have a better chance of getting in if you lose your conference championship."

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
He's right for the most part IMO.

Look, I remember very well his past transgressions and I don't appreciate it in the least. But from all indications he's learned from it. He's built and sustained a competitive football program. If and when the University of Alabama were to entertain employing him I wouldn't have a problem with it at this point. And I was one of those absolutely against it when the initial "WHAT IF" came up.

BUT I'M IN NO HURRY!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.