President George H. W. Bush has passed

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Rest in Peace, Mr. President.
I had an opportunity to meet GHW Bush in the Vice President's Office for a Republican fund raising event. I was impressed to say the least and voted for him and admired him throughout his Presidency. I have always felt that the country made a serious wrong turn in voting for Clinton over a WW ll veteran and vastly experienced administrator and diplomat. RIP to one of the few remaining members of the greatest generation.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Kind of figured he would go pretty soon after Mrs. Bush. What an accomplished life. He packed a lot into 94 years. Rest In Peace President Bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
RIP, I often wonder what the deficit would look like today if he had won in 1980.
Given we were fighting a Cold War and given the Democrats ran the House the entire eight years....I'm thinking it would be maybe slightly less than Reagan but more than Carter. However, I honestly doubt the Beirut barracks bombing or the Iran-Contra scandal would have happened with him minding the store.

And so....I doubt it would be substantially less, but......admittedly it's speculative all the way around.

Btw - for those who don't know - Bush was the other finalist (along with Rockefeller) to be Ford's VP after Nixon resigned and Ford had to appoint a VP. He also was offered a high-paying job in the late 70s by a successful businessman named H. Ross Perot.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Given we were fighting a Cold War and given the Democrats ran the House the entire eight years....I'm thinking it would be maybe slightly less than Reagan but more than Carter. However, I honestly doubt the Beirut barracks bombing or the Iran-Contra scandal would have happened with him minding the store.

And so....I doubt it would be substantially less, but......admittedly it's speculative all the way around.

Btw - for those who don't know - Bush was the other finalist (along with Rockefeller) to be Ford's VP after Nixon resigned and Ford had to appoint a VP. He also was offered a high-paying job in the late 70s by a successful businessman named H. Ross Perot.
I'm thinking the debt today could be half what it is. Reagan showed the otherwise fiscally conservative republicans how you could 'buy' votes with voodoo economics. The dems never were known for fiscal responsibility.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Okay, the coverage is already over the top. I feel bad for his family. I think he was a decent guy, and he served his country well in both war and peace, but the wall-to-wall coverage is going over the top. Three ex-presidents on 60 minutes? Flags at half staff for 30 days?
He was civil servant, not a god. The American people did not even re-elect him when they had a chance; they fired him.
I don't feel worse at his loss than when my garbage man died. At least I had met my garbage man and, other than Bush's WW II service, my garbage man had a much more unpleasant job.
A republic should not act this way when a civil servant passes on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Okay, the coverage is already over the top. I feel bad for his family. I think he was a decent guy, and he served his country well in both war and peace, but the wall-to-wall coverage is going over the top. Three ex-presidents on 60 minutes? Flags at half staff for 30 days?
He was civil servant, not a god. The American people did not even re-elect him when they had a chance; they fired him.
I don't feel worse at his loss than when my garbage man died. At least I had met my garbage man and, other than Bush's WW II service, my garbage man had a much more unpleasant job.
I don't know your age TW, but this is what is astounding me on this whole deal.

I have a pretty damned good memory, and I lived through his entire Presidency and recall every single day. Other than the crass comments and - despite the disclaimers a lot of folks want to give now - many of the same folks lionizing him said a lot of the same things they say NOW about Trump.

He committed treason with Iran-Contra.
He committed adultery with his assistant, Jennifer Fitzgerald.
He was a racist.
We went to war with Iraq over his son's oil.
He was a pushover for the Commies that tried to oust Gorbachev in the 1991 coup
He was awful at picking Cabinet members and subordinates
He obstructed justice by his Weinberger pardon

ALL of those things were said about the man when he was President. Loud and long. I will grant Trump is a uniquely slimy President, but the fact is that many of the same folks now saying things like "this was before Republicans lost their minds" and "I could vote for him because it was never personal with him" are the same folks who pilloried him when he was running the show.

On the flip side, TW, Bush did have a rather lengthy and substantial service record in many areas. So maybe (being charitable here) it's the fact Bush's reach was so far in so many areas.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if lefties will be saying nice things about Trump when he dies. The far right’s reaction to Carter’s death will be interesting.

The 30 day half-staff thing is SOP for when presidents die.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wonder if lefties will be saying nice things about Trump when he dies. The far right’s reaction to Carter’s death will be interesting.

The 30 day half-staff thing is SOP for when presidents die.

Let me qualify my comments above (and you seemingly saw it).

What the political partisans say about the opposition never changes. "My opponent is X."

Btw - political reporter Jeff Greenfield (in essence) mused on Twitter the same comment you made (about Trump).

The REAL one to watch on the right is when Clinton dies. Carter is generally accepted to be a nice guy who was doing a job too big for him - almost like a Democratic George HW Bush (if I may speak anachronistically).

Let me modify jthomas' comments above. There's a lot I disagree with about, well, every leader we've had. But I don't doubt (and never did) the internal love of country (the patriotism if you will) of Carter, Reagan, Clinton, both Bushes, or Obama. They may have wanted to change the country, but I think at their core there was a realization about America's uniqueness in history, about how we've tried within a system of peace to change things.

I don't sense that same asset in the current leader.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Criticizing the media is frowned upon here, TW. Unless it fits a narrative, of course......;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

One more note: Bush is the first President to die in the social media era.

This is - unfortunately - the new normal.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't know your age TW, but this is what is astounding me on this whole deal.

I have a pretty damned good memory, and I lived through his entire Presidency and recall every single day. Other than the crass comments and - despite the disclaimers a lot of folks want to give now - many of the same folks lionizing him said a lot of the same things they say NOW about Trump.

He committed treason with Iran-Contra.
He committed adultery with his assistant, Jennifer Fitzgerald.
He was a racist.
We went to war with Iraq over his son's oil.
He was a pushover for the Commies that tried to oust Gorbachev in the 1991 coup
He was awful at picking Cabinet members and subordinates
He obstructed justice by his Weinberger pardon

ALL of those things were said about the man when he was President. Loud and long. I will grant Trump is a uniquely slimy President, but the fact is that many of the same folks now saying things like "this was before Republicans lost their minds" and "I could vote for him because it was never personal with him" are the same folks who pilloried him when he was running the show.

On the flip side, TW, Bush did have a rather lengthy and substantial service record in many areas. So maybe (being charitable here) it's the fact Bush's reach was so far in so many areas.
I'm not saying Bush Sr. was a bad guy (he was generally an honorable man), and I feel bad for his family (they have lost their pater familias), just that the over-the-top coverage is unbecoming. Like I said, the American people, collectively, weighed him in the balance and fired him. The republic will survive his passing.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.