Bama-UGA Possible Repeat in 1st Round CFP?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Herbie is really pushing for it.
Yeah he is , to the point of getting upset that others on the set couldn’t see things from his perspective. I for one really don’t want to play them again. But if we did, I would have confidence that we played like hot garbage for 2 1/2 quarters and still won the game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think they're the 2nd best team in the country. I think they'd crush OU, Ohio State and Notre Dame just like we would. And I think they'd probably beat Clemson too.

That said, I don't want to play them again. I think we'd likely win assuming a healthier Tua and maybe Terrell Lewis?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Herbie is really pushing for it.
A bit overboard on it imo. I like Herbie, but man. He kept going on about how well they played. I wanted Fowler to just shout, “THEY LOST THE GAME. They lost TWO games”.

ESPN just had a commercial for the playoff with the tag line, “every second of every game matters...Who is in?”

If UGA gets in that line is bunk. The games and losses have to matter. Not “who is hot right this second”. Or the season is meaningless.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A bit overboard on it imo. I like Herbie, but man. He kept going on about how well they played. I wanted Fowler to just shout, “THEY LOST THE GAME. They lost TWO games”.

ESPN just had a commercial for the playoff with the tag line, “every second of every game matters...Who is in?”

If UGA gets in that line is bunk. The games and losses have to matter. Not “who is hot right this second”. Or the season is meaningless.
I thought Fowler was going to tell him to shut up. Fowler looked like he was getting upset with Herbie.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Scott Van Pelt on ESPN just showed the Strength of Record stat, which has been the best predictor so far of which teams will make it into the CFP, with 94% accuracy. Strength of Record measures the difficulty of achieving the record that each team actually achieved against the teams it played. This year, after all games played, OSU ranks 4th and Oklahoma is 6th. OSU was also the beneficiary of being the single outlier in 2014, when their SOR would not have put them in the top 4, but they got in at #4 and ended up winning it all.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Nope, so solly Cholly. It would be different if they had beaten LSU, but there are no do-overs at this level when you have two losses. It's going to be Bama, Clemson, OU, and Notre Dame in that order.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On one hand, I kind of like the recognition that would come with putting a two loss SEC team into the playoff. It acknowledges that the SEC players football at a different level.

On the other hand, it would be exactly what I always feared about a playoff. That it would render what happened during the regular season meaningless. Did you lose twice? Did you suffer your second loss to an undefeated team? Sure, let's give you a shot against that undefeated team again!

Do you realize what this would mean if Georgia beats Alabama in the playoff? They'd have one more loss than Alabama, with that loss coming to Alabama, but due to the magic of playoff they'd be the team advancing. It's pure nonsense really.

Wins and losses should matter. The real question is does Georgia's two losses end up being better than the one loss from Oklahoma or Ohio State? In the case of Ohio State I can see the argument to be made that Georgia's losses are better. But, Oklahoma's only loss was to a ranked Texas team and they avenged that loss. That to me shouldn't count for more than losing to LSU and losing to Alabama. If wins and losses don't matter, then why bother playing? I mean seriously, why did Alabama and Georgia play today if the outcome doesn't count for anything?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
UGA played their way out of the CFBP tonight, but also when they laid an egg in Red Stick. If they had taken care of business against LSU, they are probably going to the playoff in spite of the loss tonight, but they didn't.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, I told my wife "Herbie is smoking weed" when he kept lobbying for UGA. I agree, they are one of the best 4, but no way they get in with 2 losses and one of those a 20-pt. loss to LSU. It's Bama, Clemson, ND, & OU/OSU. I have to think OU gets in, OSU's loss to Purdue was just too bad and OU avenged their only loss today - and yes, they should jump ND but I'm not sure that will really happen. We'll see soon enough!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with Herbstreit's opinion, or his stating it over and over again. My problem was that he was getting upset with his fellow analysts when they disagreed with him. That is unprofessional. He needs to respect their opinions as they respect his.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
On one hand, I kind of like the recognition that would come with putting a two loss SEC team into the playoff. It acknowledges that the SEC players football at a different level.

On the other hand, it would be exactly what I always feared about a playoff. That it would render what happened during the regular season meaningless. Did you lose twice? Did you suffer your second loss to an undefeated team? Sure, let's give you a shot against that undefeated team again!

Do you realize what this would mean if Georgia beats Alabama in the playoff? They'd have one more loss than Alabama, with that loss coming to Alabama, but due to the magic of playoff they'd be the team advancing. It's pure nonsense really.

Wins and losses should matter. The real question is does Georgia's two losses end up being better than the one loss from Oklahoma or Ohio State? In the case of Ohio State I can see the argument to be made that Georgia's losses are better. But, Oklahoma's only loss was to a ranked Texas team and they avenged that loss. That to me shouldn't count for more than losing to LSU and losing to Alabama. If wins and losses don't matter, then why bother playing? I mean seriously, why did Alabama and Georgia play today if the outcome doesn't count for anything?
This is the best case for UGA not getting in.

Lovthablues

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2018
Alexandria, Al
Yes I believe Georgia is one of the best four teams in the country .... But they will probably be five or six in the final CFP rankings! I predict ... Bama 1, Clemson 2, Oklahoma 3, Notre Dame 4 Ohio State 5, Georgia 6!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If this were between a two loss Ohio State and Georgia, then I would put Georgia in simply because Purdue is not as good as LSU. But a one loss Oklahoma trumps both OSU and Georgia in my mind.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If this really was about the best 4 teams....Georgia would be in.

But it's not about the best 4 teams.

That would be too easy....lol.....
It shouldn't be either. I mean we can go back to USC and the BCS era, when they were one of the two best teams every year for several years, they just kept stubbing their toe.

There's a big difference between best team and best resume. Is Georgia one of the four best? Absolutely. Do they now have one of the four best resumes? I don't think so, although it is close enough to discuss.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I'm shocked anyone thinks UGA is in the conversation. A two loss non-conference champion simply has no business ever getting in over a one loss conference champion.

The reality is that the playoffs started yesterday for UGA, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. None of them could afford to lose and because UGA plays in the SEC they had the toughest draw. Arbitrarily rewarding them with another chance just seems ludicrous to me.

If Ohio State and Oklahoma had lost I think you could make an argument. I just think having UGA ahead of them would render the whole thing a farce.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.