Can we talk about that 4th and 11 fake punt?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In that game, at that time, he needed to remain patient and trust the game plan. He went away from his game plan at the last second, with predictable results.

Alabama was in punt safe defense. Maybe you try that is Alabama if trying to block the punt, but not against a punt safe defense - not ever.

He still has a lot to learn, but that team of his is very good.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In the presser he said he told team before game that if they were in a situation similar to what they were in they were going to run the fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But you can't predict that not knowing the circumstances and "feel" of the game. It was stupid.

If Georgia regresses in the near future this will be his first nail in the coffin.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
In the presser he said he told team before game that if they were in a situation similar to what they were in they were going to run the fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kirby Insisted that the play was there to be made but the center didn’t snap the ball.

He didn’t back away from his decision.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
He should've gone for it with his running backs ??? I feel like it wouldve been better to go to their playmakers... so glad he didnt really crazy call he rolled the dice and lost

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think Kirby made the right call to fake the punt. The momentum was swinging our way, and he knew he couldn't give the ball back to Bama. If it goes his way, everyone is calling him a genius.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Such a weird call ... I questioned some of our calls in the first half but that was pretty bad. I think we still would have scored regardless but dang. He did them no favors with that call.

At the end of the day, they still had a chance to win and didn't. So that play didn't lose it, but it really didn't help them.

Fields shouldn't have played at all in the fourth but that's another story lol

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He should've gone for it with his running backs ??? I feel like it wouldve been better to go to their playmakers... so glad he didnt really crazy call he rolled the dice and lost
If he feels like he has to get a first down and he sees a punt safe defense out there, call time out and put your offense back on the field.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Some coaches let the game dictate their decisions. Others try to dictate to the game. One wins Championships. The other sniffsvictory on the jersey of others

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
I think Kirby made the right call to fake the punt. The momentum was swinging our way, and he knew he couldn't give the ball back to Bama. If it goes his way, everyone is calling him a genius.
I just wonder how many times CNS went for it (on side kicks, going for it on 4th - in big games / on the line) while Kirby was on our side? May have influenced Kirby in moments like what happened today? Regardless, like many I would not have called it. But then again, I am a "Monday morning QB" at best. RTR

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Boneheaded call and even more boneheaded to actually go through with it when the entire Alabama defense was clearly ready for it and pointing.
I remember the Bears ran a fake punt against the Redskins a few years back. In punt formation, Urlacher went in motion. I remember thinking, "Now that's unusual. I have never seen a punt with a guy in motion. Maybe they ought to cover Urlacher."
Well, the Bears snapped the ball and threw it to Urlacher, first down.
Then I'm thinking,"Man, how can you not cover the motion guy on a punt?"

This UGA play was along those lines. UGA #1 is not the normal blocker for the punter. Immediate sign to watch for the fake. Thankfully, the Bama D recognized and responded.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I just wonder how many times CNS went for it (on side kicks, going for it on 4th - in big games / on the line) while Kirby was on our side? May have influenced Kirby in moments like what happened today? Regardless, like many I would not have called it. But then again, I am a "Monday morning QB" at best. RTR
That's a good point. Imagine if the onside kick had gone the other way in the 2015 game against Clemson. Everyone would have said Coach Saban made a terrible call. It went our way, and everyone praised him for the call.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I disagree. He gave Hurts the ball with a short field and and healthy ankle, it’s a bad call all the way around. Now if he tries this in the 2nd quarter, then he could have made up for it

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.