Can we talk about that 4th and 11 fake punt?

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
In that game, at that time, he needed to remain patient and trust the game plan. He went away from his game plan at the last second, with predictable results.

Alabama was in punt safe defense. Maybe you try that is Alabama if trying to block the punt, but not against a punt safe defense - not ever.

He still has a lot to learn, but that team of his is very good.
I agree. I haven’t read the entire thread, but Kirby was trying to have his Clemson/onside kick type call to go his way, instead of trusting in his defense..He ain’t quite got the masters’ touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Well, "not giving it to Marshawn" will live on as the worst play call in a big game ever but Kirby's fake punt call ought to at least break into the stupid top ten.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I’m shocked that so many are kinda defending this call.

Maybe if it was 4th and 3 or less but, how many times do you see a fake punt work on 4th and 10+? You don’t give the #1, 13-0, team in the country only half the field to get a go ahead score, even with our FG struggles. For most of the night our offense had struggled so, you always punt and at least try to pin us back deep.

Whatever, it’s his grave he’s digging with his fans. When every Bama fan in the world starts cheering the second it was snapped, and every UGA fan was yelling bad things, you know you made a historically bad call.

“I felt like that was a great call because it was there,” Smart said. “We’ve seen their safe. We know exactly what their safe is. They line up and they don’t cover a guy. We’ve got a guy wide open, and he’s not going to be covered. But in the last second they saw it. And we had a way to check out of it, but we took too long to get it snapped, and I felt like it was a really good play. It was there.”

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I am a seahawk fan, so I’m still mad about that pass play in the super bowl whenever it should have been a run play. I have no idea what Kirby was thinking there, nor do I really care LOL (thanks, Kirby). But it is one of the worst calls ever. Instead of pinning a hot team near their end zone you fake it with 11 yards to go. It was beyond stupid. What was his reasoning for it? I haven’t seen his presser.
He basically said they were trying to be aggressive. Then he doubled down and said they had it, receiver was uncovered, but they took too long to snap it and Bama had time to recognize the play.

I don’t care if they actually picked it up, that is one of the dumbest calls I have ever seen. They could have made us drive 80yds, or even 99yds, to score with 3min left and our passing QB out. But he took the risk to give it to us at the 50 where all we needed was about 30yds and a FG to win. Just beyond dumb.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I am a seahawk fan, so I’m still mad about that pass play in the super bowl whenever it should have been a run play. I have no idea what Kirby was thinking there, nor do I really care LOL (thanks, Kirby). But it is one of the worst calls ever. Instead of pinning a hot team near their end zone you fake it with 11 yards to go. It was beyond stupid. What was his reasoning for it? I haven’t seen his presser.
Kirby mistook us for 'The Little Sisters of the Poor'.
I'm gonna stick with calling that play, Kirby's Gus moment...

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Lou Holtz turned to his Notre Dame team in 89 on the sideline after Miami ran a fake punt and failed and said "if you have to run a play le that, you don't believe you can win" at that point I thought "they just flinched" aaaaaaaand they did

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I watched the post game press conference and unfortunately we'll never really get the true answer, because the press failed to ask the question correctly. They didn't frame the question by restating the situation asking him to justify the call. Saying you came to win, you wanted to be aggressive and you knew it was there all week doesn't justify making that call.

But one play didn't lose that game for Georgia. Our offense couldn't get out of neutral in the 3rd Qtr. when the game needed to be closed out. Kirby will have to choke on that call for a long time, but he's learned from CNS and will eventually learn how to prepare us to finish games like this one.

Congratulations to Bama and it's fans. You guys have one heck of a football team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.