Can we talk about that 4th and 11 fake punt?

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
That play reminded me of a Les Miles stunt.

I remember an LSU-Auburn game in 2007. LSU was in FG range, and a FG would win the game. LSU dialed up a pass into the end zone as time ran out.

LSU scored and won the game. But had the pass been incomplete or intercepted, LSU would have lost.

So, had the fake punt worked for UGA, many would be hailing Smart's "brilliant" play call.

When the "smart" (no pun intended) move would have been: play defense and go to O/T.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Headsets do not OCs make. However, I hope you're right. I hope he's calling all their plays... :D
No, but he’s responsible for strategy. So the conversation before that possession should’ve gone something like this:

Kirby: “Jim, Alabama has offensive momentum, because as you know we haven’t prepared for Hurts at all. If we get a first down around midfield, we’re in four down territory with the fake punt package we’ve practiced (with all the time we saved not preparing for Hurts), so at that point call your plays to maximize the odds of no worse than 4th and five if we fail to get another 1st down, and bleed some clock. If we don’t convert the fake, I want Alabama to have less time, and more distance to travel.”

Jim Chaney: “Okay, boss”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That play reminded me of a Les Miles stunt.

I remember an LSU-Auburn game in 2007. LSU was in FG range, and a FG would win the game. LSU dialed up a pass into the end zone as time ran out.

LSU scored and won the game. But had the pass been incomplete or intercepted, LSU would have lost.

So, had the fake punt worked for UGA, many would be hailing Smart's "brilliant" play call.

When the "smart" (no pun intended) move would have been: play defense and go to O/T.
The smart move was to punt the ball and say, “Jalen can’t beat us and your kicking game stinks. If you can march to a TD in that amount of time, my hat’s off to ya.”

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Statistics don't take each individual situation into account. Jalen was on a roll, and Kirby saw that. I'm not sure he had enough confidence in his D at that point. They were tired.
Saying “Jalen was on a roll” and that “Kirby knew he wasn’t stopping Alabama any longer” is a bit anachronistic. We had to convert 5 3rd downs on those final 2 drives, most of them 3rd and 5+. The entire game to that point we had not converted a single 3rd down. Georgia had every reason to believe they could stop us on a long drive where we were forced to pass due to the clock constraints, with our lesser passing QB.

Kirby wanted to go for the knockout blow by converting the 4th, possibly getting into FG range to take the lead, and bleeding the clock completely off. He trusted his defense to at least force a long (and therefore unlikely with our kickers) FG attempt. I don’t for one second believe he though to himself, “Alabama is unstoppable right now! If we don’t keep the ball the game is over!”

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Hard to say since they didn't really let him play the position until the UMass game. His main purpose was to be a runner, so defenses knew what to expect when he was in the game.
Kinda like Tebow in 2006. Except Tebow was effective.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Saying “Jalen was on a roll” and that “Kirby knew he wasn’t stopping Alabama any longer” is a bit anachronistic. We had to convert 5 3rd downs on those final 2 drives, most of them 3rd and 5+. The entire game to that point we had not converted a single 3rd down. Georgia has every reason to believe they could stop us on a long drive where we were forced to pass due to the clock constraints, with our lesser passing QB.

Kirby wanted to go for the knockout blow by converting the 4th, possibly getting into FG range to take the lead, and bleeding the clock completely off. He trusted his defense to at least force a long (and therefore unlikely with our kickers) FG attempt. I don’t for one second believe he though to himself, “Alabama is unstoppable right now! If we don’t keep the ball the game is over!”
And they were not tired as he suggests. We only ran 63 plays in the entire game and we had some quick possessions in the 3rd and 4th qtr. If they were tired their S&C coach should have been fired immediately after the game.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
May not have been boneheaded but he should have used one of the regular punt team members and not brought in Fields. However, it appears CNS was expecting something of the like and kept the D on the field.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Jessica4bama--Im with ya. Just laughing through the tears. I was a big fan of ML in college at Cal. Number 10. Went to all the home games. I have pictures of my daughter Jessica wearing his jersey and she later went to Cal also.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
It was a bold aggressive move to win a tie game but at 4th and 11 when Alabama left the defense out there instead of the return team the move was countered. He should have called time and punted it. I think with what happened last year weighing on his mind he just froze up at the moment of truth. Special teams have been a mixed bag for us this year. Kicking has been inconsistent, Return game mostly non-existent, coverage has been good. But recognizing the situation and leaving the defense on the field could have saved the season.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
I've retired from internet medicine and will try to stick to funny videos and snarky comments about Georgia and Tennessee Vol football fans.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've retired from internet medicine and will try to stick to funny videos and snarky comments about Georgia and Tennessee Vol football fans.
LOL! J/K, of course. Not the injury, though. I did it kneeling on a rock to close a foundation vent and the inflammation spread to my whole knee, had me hobbling around with a neoprene sleeve...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I haven’t read the whole thread so this may have already been mentioned.

ALL Georgia coaches should have known Alabama would be in defense safe mode at that point in the game and that position on the field. There’s almost never a return when the punting team punts from mid-field. Defense safe is the only reasonable call Bama can make because Bama is very unlikely to get a big return and this late in the game if we get the ball at or inside the 20 a sustained drive will just about run the clock out.

If the the onside kick against Clemson goes south, Bama’s loses 30 yards but still has plenty of time left in the game. Georgia gave Bama 30 yards at the end of the game.

I can’t ever recall a more boneheaded call in any game, much less a game of this magnitude.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.