Character

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I just finished watching a video posted on SDS of Jalen Hurts walking out 30 minutes after the game and handing his towel to a kid who had been waiting for him. My family and I made the 7 hr trek a couple of weeks ago to attend the Citadel game. Despite the early kickoff, we were there on a cold morning at 800 to line up for the Walk of Champions. As players and coaches piled off the buses to walk in the stadium, fans started screaming, of course. My boys, 12 year old triplets, were "jacked up" to put it mildly. They started screaming the names of the players they knew while reaching out as far as their arms would allow to give someone five. Of course, most of the entourage stayed to the middle with their game face on (as would be expected). However, one young man glanced up, came over to our side, and gave my boys high fives. As a father, that stuck with me. I remember thinking, that kid (Hurts) could be bitter, mad, even disconnected, but he wasn't. With an action that took 5 seconds, he made my boys' vacation. They talked about it the rest of the trip.

As only God could orchestrate, they recalled that brief moment again tonight. Not because of the win--don't get me wrong, that was awesome! Rather, the simple gesture that meant so much came up as my boys and I sat in the "Bama Room" at our house and watched Jalen preach his sermon. What was the topic? Perseverance, loyalty, being a good teammate, being a better person, and staying the course even if other people think you are crazy for it. I am so thankful that my boys are witnessing history during the Saban Era. But I am also thankful for the Jalen Hurts', Blake Sims', and Tua's that seem to break the mold and teach young fans hard life lessons.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I just finished watching a video posted on SDS of Jalen Hurts walking out 30 minutes after the game and handing his towel to a kid who had been waiting for him. My family and I made the 7 hr trek a couple of weeks ago to attend the Citadel game. Despite the early kickoff, we were there on a cold morning at 800 to line up for the Walk of Champions. As players and coaches piled off the buses to walk in the stadium, fans started screaming, of course. My boys, 12 year old triplets, were "jacked up" to put it mildly. They started screaming the names of the players they knew while reaching out as far as their arms would allow to give someone five. Of course, most of the entourage stayed to the middle with their game face on (as would be expected). However, one young man glanced up, came over to our side, and gave my boys high fives. As a father, that stuck with me. I remember thinking, that kid (Hurts) could be bitter, mad, even disconnected, but he wasn't. With an action that took 5 seconds, he made my boys' vacation. They talked about it the rest of the trip.

As only God could orchestrate, they recalled that brief moment again tonight. Not because of the win--don't get me wrong, that was awesome! Rather, the simple gesture that meant so much came up as my boys and I sat in the "Bama Room" at our house and watched Jalen preach his sermon. What was the topic? Perseverance, loyalty, being a good teammate, being a better person, and staying the course even if other people think you are crazy for it. I am so thankful that my boys are witnessing history during the Saban Era. But I am also thankful for the Jalen Hurts', Blake Sims', and Tua's that seem to break the mold and teach young fans hard life lessons.

Thank you for sharing that, I wholeheartedly agree. On a side note, I have 13yo triplet boys. These young men in these positions have a great effect on kids. Of course they love Hurts and Tua but also Josh Jacobs have caught their eye all year. Loved seeing the article on him several days ago and hearing the humble comments he shared on the podium tonight.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.