OK, do we now go to a dual offense system for the playoffs?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No. I think we could win with both, but we shouldn't do this Mickey Mouse swap the qb thing like Urban and Kirby are obsessed with.
Agreed. I think Kirby's obsession with Field hurt him and I'm not even talking about the fake punt. Bascially, every snap with Fields was wasted.

I don't think the same applies to Jalen, who is a much improved passer.

Having said that, I think Jalen's performance proves there were open receivers last night, but ironically, Tua was the one who had trouble with finding and hitting those guys. It's really the first time this happened all year.

I think it was flaw in our game plan. We (Tua) tried to force too many throws when there were plenty of open guys underneath.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When Jaylen came in it didn't seem to break the rhythm of the game. So, why not play both. I would. They have both earned it and we would have lost this game if not for Jaylen.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I’m waiting to hear from a senior or junior-going-pro from Georgia say “We didn’t prepare for Jalen.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agreed. I think Kirby's obsession with Field hurt him and I'm not even talking about the fake punt. Bascially, every snap with Fields was wasted.

Having said that, I think Jalen's performance proves there were open receivers last night, but ironically, Tua was the one who had trouble with finding and hitting those guys. It's really the first time this happened all year.

I think it was flaw in our game plan. We (Tua) tried to force too many throws when there were plenty of open guys underneath.
Every time they brought in Fields I was happy. Fromm was having a day and a half and keeping it out of his hands was a win for us.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I say this because of who we have in front of us, not because I don't believe in Jalen (because I do). Taking rhythm away from a hot quarterback by swapping qbs mid drive is just stupid. I think even if Tua was ready to go on that last drive last night, you had to keep Jalen in at that point.

I think swapping them a few drives here and there is okay, but doing it like UGA and tOSU does it is ludicrous. I'm in favor of having both on the field at the same time, I just think last night it wasn't executed well and it was too early for gimmicks. imo

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When Jaylen came in it didn't seem to break the rhythm of the game. So, why not play both. I would. They have both earned it and we would have lost this game if not for Jaylen.
Of course it didn't break the rhythm because Tua was not available.

I just can't imagine a healthy Tua standing on the sideline with Hurts getting lots of snaps.

Tua shouldn't get "punished" for his first bad game, but, I do think if Tua struggles in the playoff (which would shock me) I do think going to Jalen as a change of pace is much more in play now!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
My take - if you want to play Jalen, play him. Do not put Jalen on the field with Tua. That takes a better player off the field at another position. Both are great QBs, but neither is even good at any other position.

So, if Saban wants Jalen in for some plays, great. Put him in and let him run those plays. But don't alternate series (Tua is too good to take him off the field that much), and stop with the trickeration. Just line up and beat the other teams.
I couldn’t agree more concerning them both on the field at the same time.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Of course it didn't break the rhythm because Tua was not available.

I just can't imagine a healthy Tua standing on the sideline with Hurts getting lots of snaps.

Tua shouldn't get "punished" for his first bad game, but, I do think if Tua struggles in the playoff (which would shock me) I do think going to Jalen as a change of pace is much more in play now!
Agreed. UGA flummoxed him and it didn’t help that a) he was hurt b) the WRs were dropping great pAsses c) UGA DL was having their game of the year and d) IMO Locks was not calling the best plays given the look of the UGA defense.

Not sure why so many are shocked given that this program has risen to Bama level in recruiting and has solid coaching. This is the SECCG and like 2012 I think it was the defacto title game IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Tua being hurt not only impacted his passes he also couldn't escape pressure. You saw him try a couple times and he clearly just couldn't move as well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua being hurt not only impacted his passes he also couldn't escape pressure. You saw him try a couple times and he clearly just couldn't move as well.
I think this is the most "coachable" moment of the year for Tua.

His career really depends on him learning to take what's available and when the pressure is there to get rid of the ball. Ironically, Jalen could help him with that.

CNS says "live to play another down" and right now Tua thinks every play is a Vandy highlight waiting to happen. Unless he learns this lesson he might not finish his college career with healthy legs, much less have a chance in the NFL.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
In most of the sacks, there was 30 yards of green to the right and a lane to get there, but as you said his able would not allow him to take it. he had balls batted down because he could not shift in the pocket to get the throwing lanes. Jalen was able to exploit.
No blame here but if Jeudy catches that ball, it is a touchdown, Tua is not in the field to take that initial sack that hurt his ankle

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Tua is like a drag racer or something. Finely tuned machine, if everything is working right no one can catch him. However, if something minor isn't right it throws everything off. Hurts has dealt with his limitations long enough that he's not as easily thrown off by something not being quite right.

Anyway, at this point I think we've seen that Hurts has learned some from Tua in terms of how to attack downfield (and Enos of course). Ironically, I'm not sure how much Tua has learned from Hurts, or perhaps just how much he's adapted. He's so good he tends to pass up things like throwing the ball away, or dumping the ball off, both things Hurts did when he came in that helped preserve drives. That was arguably the biggest difference, neither QB could get away with just trying to attack downfield on every play.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I think the first thing that has to happen is to get Tua to acknowledge that he needs to quit going for the home run all the time. Take what the D gives you and when things break down get rid of the ball so you don't get hit as much. Jalen did this last night. But to answer the question I would probably use them both more than we have. RTR
Even with both QBs healthy? If not, then why not? Looks like a nightmare situation for a DC...

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
No one is taking into account a defense game planning for Hurts, if he were the starter. How does Jalen do when that happens? No one knows at this point but is his improvement real?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tua is like a drag racer or something. Finely tuned machine, if everything is working right no one can catch him. However, if something minor isn't right it throws everything off. Hurts has dealt with his limitations long enough that he's not as easily thrown off by something not being quite right.

Anyway, at this point I think we've seen that Hurts has learned some from Tua in terms of how to attack downfield (and Enos of course). Ironically, I'm not sure how much Tua has learned from Hurts, or perhaps just how much he's adapted. He's so good he tends to pass up things like throwing the ball away, or dumping the ball off, both things Hurts did when he came in that helped preserve drives. That was arguably the biggest difference, neither QB could get away with just trying to attack downfield on every play.
Last night, nothing was open downfield and Jalen turned and threw a perfect swing pass to the left side. I don't even remember without looking at the game again who the receiver was, Ruggs maybe. It was right on the receiver's finger tips so he never even lost a step. Mentally, I credited Enos and watching Tua throw it. Before, he couldn't throw that pass to save his life. He was always freezing the receiver, giving the DB or LB time to recover and smother the play. Also, I think he's more accurate throwing on the dead run than Tua is. He's come a long way with decent QB coaching. I also had the thought that, though he's very inventive as a play-caller, Lane Kiffin is not a QB coach...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Last night, nothing was open downfield and Jalen turned and threw a perfect swing pass to the left side. I don't even remember without looking at the game again who the receiver was, Ruggs maybe. It was right on the receiver's finger tips so he never even lost a step. Mentally, I credited Enos and watching Tua throw it. Before, he couldn't throw that pass to save his life. He was always freezing the receiver, giving the DB or LB time to recover and smother the play. Also, I think he's more accurate throwing on the dead run than Tua is. He's come a long way with decent QB coaching. I also had the thought that, though he's very inventive as a play-caller, Lane Kiffin is not a QB coach...
I think a lot of people underestimated Jalen's ability to improve and wrote him off way too early.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
You could see the improvement in Jalen's decision making and accuracy throughout the year. Kudos to him. He threw several last night as good as you can throw them.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Agreed.

Jalen is a much improved passer. Very much improved. Anyone who doubts that should watch the 4th quarter of the UGA game over until they get it.

Tua uncharacteristically passed over several dump off opportunities and held on too long all night.

Kiffin has always been good at making a QB look better than he is but has never helped them develop into a better QB. There is a major difference in the two.

As for the original question, it's obvious we have a capable backup if the starter falters or falls to injury. I might have some situational wrinkles in the game plan but would not make wholesale changes save for a greater emphasis on the run game - especially when its clicking and the opposing defense is daring you to run the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.