OK, do we now go to a dual offense system for the playoffs?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There was a thread early in the season that discussed whether the team and Jalen would be better off if he would redshirt...with the hindsight of the SEC season now that thread would make for interesting reading.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a thread early in the season that discussed whether the team and Jalen would be better off if he would redshirt...with the hindsight of the SEC season now that thread would make for interesting reading.
I have no idea what I said then, but I know that I never had a clue that Jalen might improve this much, or that he might save your season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Truth be told, no one could have seen it unfolding the way it did.
I think Saban knew Jalen had the ability and heart to rise to the occasion if he was called on, and kept him involved with the team. And at the same time Saban showed why he gets paid to coach and we all just offer up commentary.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I feel comfortable in the fact that if Tua is not capable of play in the CFP that we will be fine with Jalen.
I think we now have a large enough sample size, that we can appreciate just how good Hurts has been this year.

He's now 50/67 for 755 yards and 8 TDs/2 INTs with a rating of 202.7. He's also maintained his ability to rush effectively, with an average of 4.9. There looks to be a lot of good quarterbacks in the playoff, and I hope Tua is healthy, but unless we see serious regression from Hurts it looks like he could hold his own against the other elite QBs (but I've been wrong before).

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
Tua is our starting QB. Jalen gives us the ultimate back-up QB. I am proud of Jalen for being loyal to the team and how much he has improved in the passing game. We have a solid back-up if Tua gets hurt again going forward. I like that the OC asked Jalen what he was most comfortable running when he came into the game. Everyone wants to complain about the play calling. I don't agree. The offensive game plan is decided as the team prepares. The defense will adjust and disguise things. You can't anticipate that with 100% assurance. I think our guys did not execute very well. Tua was holding the ball too long and then when he needed to run or scramble his ankle wouldn't let him. Receivers dropped too many balls, etc.... Our defense was caught off guard with what GA was doing with formations. Fromm played the game of his life. We were able to adjust and shut him down when it counted. A very gutsy win by any standards.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think this quote might very well give us the best insight into what went wrong for Hurts last year with Daboll running the show, and why Hurts can be used more effectively now (borrowing this from elsewhere):
Mike Locksley: "I got him on the phone and said ‘Let’s call the stuff you like.’ We went through a series of some plays that he really likes, stuff he executes in practice. The way we practice, we develop our first and second team."

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have no idea what I said then, but I know that I never had a clue that Jalen might improve this much, or that he might save your season.
No one else did either, including yours truly. The guy is doing an incredible Brooks Robinson impersonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Maryland wants our OC
In hindsight, I wonder if that had an impact on our offense yesterday. Per ESPN, Locksley, Pep Hamilton and Matt Canada have their final interviews over the next 24 hours. The other 2 interviewed in Atlanta over the past 48 hours. The story did not say Locksley interviewed but, why the heck did they meet with the other 2 in Atlanta late this week if they didn’t have at least a passing discussion with him or his reps.

One could easily assume if Locksley is interviewing later today, he had to spend some time thinking about/preparing for the interview. We saw it with LK when he took the FAU job. If Locksley gets the job, I’d expect him to be gone this week. The early signing period is coming up on 12/19 and he will have to focus on that. We will be in the middle of prep/practice and it will be too hard to be focusing on your class at MD and game planning for the playoff game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
In hindsight, I wonder if that had an impact on our offense yesterday. Per ESPN, Locksley, Pep Hamilton and Matt Canada have their final interviews over the next 24 hours. The other 2 interviewed in Atlanta over the past 48 hours. The story did not say Locksley interviewed but, why the heck did they meet with the other 2 in Atlanta late this week if they didn’t have at least a passing discussion with him or his reps.

One could easily assume if Locksley is interviewing later today, he had to spend some time thinking about/preparing for the interview. We saw it with LK when he took the FAU job. If Locksley gets the job, I’d expect him to be gone this week. The early signing period is coming up on 12/19 and he will have to focus on that. We will be in the middle of prep/practice and it will be too hard to be focusing on your class at MD and game planning for the playoff game.
I feel this way, too. If he takes the job, I hope he leaves now. If he doesn't, get to work recruiting and planning for Oklahoma.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Last night, nothing was open downfield and Jalen turned and threw a perfect swing pass to the left side. I don't even remember without looking at the game again who the receiver was, Ruggs maybe. It was right on the receiver's finger tips so he never even lost a step. Mentally, I credited Enos and watching Tua throw it. Before, he couldn't throw that pass to save his life. He was always freezing the receiver, giving the DB or LB time to recover and smother the play. Also, I think he's more accurate throwing on the dead run than Tua is. He's come a long way with decent QB coaching. I also had the thought that, though he's very inventive as a play-caller, Lane Kiffin is not a QB coach...
that third down throw to waddle and his first td were both thrown on the run and were absolute dimes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
that third down throw to waddle and his first td were both thrown on the run and were absolute dimes.
When Jalen rolls right, he is deadly. But even this season he has not been good when he is rolling left. That is the book - flush him left.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Even if Tua is ready to play against OK he might not be 100%. OK has had trouble with running QBs. I am watching the OK/Army game and on Army's 1st drive they ate up over nine minutes. They were able to pick up good yardage on the option plays attacking the perimeter. I think with the unkown of Tua's recovery coupled with Jalen's improved passing and his running ability we will see more of Jalen against the Okies.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
When Jalen rolls right, he is deadly. But even this season he has not been good when he is rolling left. That is the book - flush him left.
Not sure about him having issues rolling left this year. I can't recall him missing widely while rolling left. He actually has not missed much at all this year and some of those were throw aways. Any game examples come to mind?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure how fair a criticism is. Almost QBs drop drastically in accuracy when throwing back across the body...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.