OK, do we now go to a dual offense system for the playoffs?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Even with both QBs healthy? If not, then why not? Looks like a nightmare situation for a DC...
I'd say NO.

Coach Saban will scheme it so either or both QB's can play it.
Not to say Jalen want run circles around them, or Tua could play
like he has a laser sight on his left arm.
A heck of a lot depends on who all we play, and what they give us...

(Just the same I'll wear my lucky game shirt and my lucky game hat.)

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
You could see the improvement in Jalen's decision making and accuracy throughout the year. Kudos to him. He threw several last night as good as you can throw them.

Jalen did a great job. Storybook redemption and all that. Jalen is quite a capable starter (somewhere) and one heck of a backup for Bama this year.

Jalen HAS improved as a passer stationary and on the move.. that's the primary improvement he has dramatically leveled up --- Passing - Placing the ball on time, with the right velocity, in the right space for the receiver. His running is what it was year 1.. Jalen has that natural like Tua has A LOT of his passing instinctively/naturally.

That said: I would need to see 4 quarters or more of Jalen to make a firm decision on whether he has really improved on one of his biggest weaknesses: Reading the defense/Making his receiver reads (1,2,3, Check or 1,2,3,4, check etc).

I noticed in the UGA game Jalen's head wasn't on a swivel he seemed to basically lock in on a receiver and deliver the ball. The latter, delivering the ball he's improved on,.. locking onto the receiver it seems he may still need to improve on.

I saw multiple receivers open when Jalen was in pocket "scanning, but head staying primarily straight" before he bailed on said pocket.. some were TD openings.

I'm not knocking Jalen,.. just that he's not solved / improved in all areas he needs to improve on to be that uber complete QB. Tua Tagovailoa is still the best Quarterback on the team by quite a large margin -- and Tua is the guy you want facing off against Kyler Murray -- Though I do hope the Bama run game can smash through this weak Oklahoma defense to take most of the pressure off the QB position and make Alabama be virtually unstoppable every drive.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I would be shocked if Oklahoma had the sort of defense that could rattle Tua. I think he comes out strong in that game. Clemson...well, we'll have to see if they borrow from Georgia's defensive playbook. And let's be honest, we're almost certainly going to face Oklahoma and Clemson.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Tua is still our guy of he can go. But I would say imo we are a better running team with Jalen in at QB. I haven't reviewed the stats to back up this perception. But I do believe Damien has more explosive runs with Jalen than he does with Tua. I think we can best OU with either QB. We will be the best offense they have played likewise for us. I think spread is about right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think Damien has more explosive runs with Jalen because it is later in the game. I think the safeties have to respect the deep ball more with Tua and the run game should be better with Tua. If the QB is going to run, right now I would rather protect Tua and not run him on designed runs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Damien has more explosive runs with Jalen because it is later in the game. I think the safeties have to respect the deep ball more with Tua and the run game should be better with Tua. If the QB is going to run, right now I would rather protect Tua and not run him on designed runs.
All OL have to do is protect him. Let Tua do what Tua does best: Sling pineapples and coconuts.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban will force Sooner to game plan for both quarterbacks. Jalen may not play much in the game, but we want them to devote their maybe 10/20 percent of their time preparing for something that may/may not happen.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Even with both QBs healthy? If not, then why not? Looks like a nightmare situation for a DC...
Yes and both need to be as healthy as possible for the quick turnaround that hopefully comes after the win!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
If Tua does start like we expect him to, I expect OU to bring blitzes from every angle to test that ankle and his mobility. OU burned Texas on a corner cat blitz late in the fourth quarter for a safety that created separation and allowed a win. It will be interesting to see if Jalen plays because while it might give Oklahoma something to prepare for it could also throw off our offensive flow. We tried a couple of plays with both of them in the game against Georgia and it produced nothing. We don't need to outsmart ourselves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.