OK, do we now go to a dual offense system for the playoffs?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Easy, no.

You don’t bench your Heisman candidate QB because he had one rough game while injured. If he’s healthy, it’s his team.

There will not be a defense anywhere near as talented as UGA in the playoffs, we’ll be fine.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Tua will come back healthy for the playoff, and he's clearly our best QB. The offense is strongest with him at the helm. I think we may have some wrinkles with Jalen in some capacity, though.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No, because I think it breaks the rythem of the offense. Usually I would say it causes mistakes because one guy would try to make a play to get more playing time, but at this point of the season I don’t think PT is a concern.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
For the first time in what seems like forever, the coaching staff is (apparently) not being raided. Take advantage of this, keep some continuity and don't change a thing. Get healthy, regain focus, and dominate the #4 and #2 teams in January.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
For the first time in what seems like forever, the coaching staff is (apparently) not being raided. Take advantage of this, keep some continuity and don't change a thing. Get healthy, regain focus, and dominate the #4 and #2 teams in January.
Maryland wants our OC

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t think so. It’s tempting, after seeing what Jalen did out there tonight. But Tua was clearly injured on that first drive. It affected everything he did. Oh what might have been if he wouldn’t have thrown slightly behind Ruggs in 1st and goal. Everything went south after that. But he should be able to heal up. He still gives us the best chance to beat Oklahoma. But at least I have every bit of confidence in Jalen if he is called upon.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I don’t think so. It’s tempting, after seeing what Jalen did out there tonight. But Tua was clearly injured on that first drive. It affected everything he did. Oh what might have been if he wouldn’t have thrown slightly behind Ruggs in 1st and goal. Everything went south after that. But he should be able to heal up. He still gives us the best chance to beat Oklahoma. But at least I have every bit of confidence in Jalen if he is called upon.
We should be playing ND in the semis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think if Tua is 100%, he's the guy.

Having said that, is Hurts is 100% as well it is hard to imagine Alabama not trying to use this situation to their advantage.

One thing would be to play coy on who is going to start. Making the opposition prep for both, even if it is still going to be Tua. The other is an expanded role for Hurts. Not split time, but I do think Hurts has done enough to earn a little more time on the field. He's a more aggressive, physical runner than Tua (and less fragile) so there are some situations where that could be useful.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My take - if you want to play Jalen, play him. Do not put Jalen on the field with Tua. That takes a better player off the field at another position. Both are great QBs, but neither is even good at any other position.

So, if Saban wants Jalen in for some plays, great. Put him in and let him run those plays. But don't alternate series (Tua is too good to take him off the field that much), and stop with the trickeration. Just line up and beat the other teams.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Easy, no.

You don’t bench your Heisman candidate QB because he had one rough game while injured. If he’s healthy, it’s his team.

There will not be a defense anywhere near as talented as UGA in the playoffs, we’ll be fine.

... and ....

if Hurts is 100% as well it is hard to imagine Alabama not trying to use this situation to their advantage.
Georgia's defense last night was not nearly as talented as Georgia's defense during the regular season. What happens if we play another team whose defense plays out of their minds? I think Earle brings up an interesting point.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
My take - if you want to play Jalen, play him. Do not put Jalen on the field with Tua. That takes a better player off the field at another position. Both are great QBs, but neither is even good at any other position.

So, if Saban wants Jalen in for some plays, great. Put him in and let him run those plays. But don't alternate series (Tua is too good to take him off the field that much), and stop with the trickeration. Just line up and beat the other teams.
I think we should make use of Jalen when we can but I have to agree with this. Both on the same field was great (and funny) against Tennessee but now is not the time to go Lane Kiffin when Lane Kiffin is not at Alabama.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think Tua will be and should be the starter in the semi-final if healthy, but last night showed that if Tua struggles early in the game that coach can pull him and let Jalen have a shot at it instead of waiting late in the game out of desperation. It could be a situation of which one has a hot hand because both are very experienced.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No. I think we could win with both, but we shouldn't do this Mickey Mouse swap the qb thing like Urban and Kirby are obsessed with.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I think if Tua is 100%, he's the guy.

Having said that, is Hurts is 100% as well it is hard to imagine Alabama not trying to use this situation to their advantage.

One thing would be to play coy on who is going to start. Making the opposition prep for both, even if it is still going to be Tua. The other is an expanded role for Hurts. Not split time, but I do think Hurts has done enough to earn a little more time on the field. He's a more aggressive, physical runner than Tua (and less fragile) so there are some situations where that could be useful.
Line them both in a split back field, then guess who we snap it to LOL. That would be funny to watch. What to do what to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.