JessN: Georgia wrap-up: A story too preposterous for Hollywood, but still so very real

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Jess, this assessment is truly a great representation of your sharp mind, exceptional writing skills, and story telling ability. How you do this in the wee hours of the night is truly extraordinary and we TIDEFANS readers are blessed to have you. On to the game; my main take away was that we need an infusion of big nasties on the defensive line for future years. Looking at Williams, Buggs and Davis, they will all likely move to the league next year - right?

Last edited:

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Thank you, Jess. I think the uncharacteristic drops in the passing game really compounded any issues Tua was having. You’re right about him not wanting to abandon the play. But that’s who he is and what has made him successful. But, just like everything in life, sometimes our strengths can hinder us.

For sure, though, this needs to be a one time case of the drops if we will be playing OU next.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great recap - very well said!

Still stunned. I only hope that the players learn from this as they would learn from a loss. Georgia was more focused. Georgia played with greater intensity. Eventually Alabama's talent got it done, and that is what worries me - they might not have. One more key drop in those last two drives by Jalen and Alabama loses.

Which way will Alabama go from here? Will the players buckle down and get back to work, or will they coast into the CFP. If they coast into the CFP, this will turn into a wasted season. I am betting on the former.

I think that Tua is going to be upset by his performance. I think that the receivers are going to be upset by their performance. I think that Murray is going to win the Heisman and provide the fire that this team needs to get back to playing dominant football. And when that happens, no one can touch Alabama.

Roll Tide!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Great recap - very well said!

Still stunned. I only hope that the players learn from this as they would learn from a loss. Georgia was more focused. Georgia played with greater intensity. Eventually Alabama's talent got it done, and that is what worries me - they might not have. One more key drop in those last two drives by Jalen and Alabama loses.

Which way will Alabama go from here? Will the players buckle down and get back to work, or will they coast into the CFP. If they coast into the CFP, this will turn into a wasted season. I am betting on the former.

I think that Tua is going to be upset by his performance. I think that the receivers are going to be upset by their performance. I think that Murray is going to win the Heisman and provide the fire that this team needs to get back to playing dominant football. And when that happens, no one can touch Alabama.

Roll Tide!
Agreed. Tua lost the Heisman last night because of his play; simply put, he was barely average (drops notwithstanding).
He couldn’t/didn’t find guys who were wide open several times, and that has been one of his strengths.
Bama’s defense played well in the second half and closed the door in the fourth quarter. They had about 150 rushing yds for the game, which I thought was the least amount they needed for a chance to win.
But Fromm lit up the secondary in the first half. Murray/Haskins are light years better than Fromm IMO, although neither has an equivalent rushing attack, or defense.
Plenty of time to rest, heal and definitely refocus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
The irony of the pat on the back for the special teams . . . On a night of miscues from all other phases of the game.

The biggest question lurking is what happens to Hurts. What program could he go to that wouldn’t be a massive step down from Alabama?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One of the joys from a career in journalism are mornings like this: in the aftermath of some big event, and a reporter/writer/thinker you admire and trust offers an appraisal and the context of what you watched the day before.

And before dawn, with nobody else around, you get to open that work like it’s a wrapped gift, sit with it, admire it, and take it all in.

Your opening paragraphs this morning, once again written on a tight deadline, are that good. Thank you from your readers.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It will be an interesting discussion about Jalen's future that I look foward to us having.

It's wishful thinking to hope he stays at Bama. He deserves an opportunity to be a starter, but I think he's so full of Bama that it'll be a hard decision no matter what.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It will be an interesting discussion about Jalen's future that I look foward to us having.

It's wishful thinking to hope he stays at Bama. He deserves an opportunity to be a starter, but I think he's so full of Bama that it'll be a hard decision no matter what.
Not so sure if it is wishful thinking or not. He sounded like someone who plans on staying at Alabama in his post-game interview. IMO, if Alabama wins out and Jalen has a continued role in that championship, he stays.

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
One of the joys from a career in journalism are mornings like this: in the aftermath of some big event, and a reporter/writer/thinker you admire and trust offers an appraisal and the context of what you watched the day before.

And before dawn, with nobody else around, you get to open that work like it’s a wrapped gift, sit with it, admire it, and take it all in.

Your opening paragraphs this morning, once again written on a tight deadline, are that good. Thank you from your readers.
Ditto.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Maybe Jalen waits to see what coaching changes take place before making a decision. Enos has really helped him and he might just fool us and hang around another year. That would be great for everyone I think except for Tua's baby brother. RTR
The irony of the pat on the back for the special teams . . . On a night of miscues from all other phases of the game.

The biggest question lurking is what happens to Hurts. What program could he go to that wouldn’t be a massive step down from Alabama?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
But forever in place, from now until the day that football ceases to be played, is Jalen Hurts’ legacy, and someone should carve it into the precast concrete of Mercedes-Benz Stadium for good measure: Here played a true teammate, unselfish and honorable, a good man and leader of men, a champion. Here was where Jalen Hurts was finally appreciated for the winner he always was.
This was my favourite part. Thanks, Jess......good luck in the playoffs!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

You expressed what I wanted to say better than I could.

What a creative, insightful and all around excellent intro to a very good breakdown of the game. Under a deadline, no less. ...

I'm amazed at what we saw on the field yesterday, and the quality of the writing here.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks again as always, Jess. Your efforts to get these out are more appreciated than you will ever know.

I think last night was a case of the rat poison finally getting to us and Georgia being laser focused with revenge on their minds. They had to listen to all of the talk about 2nd and 26 for 11 months and wanted a different ending this time. The fake punt was an unbelievable call. However, it was like Jalen was destined to win that game. He continually made the throws when he had to. 5 of 5 converted 3rd downs (after Tua had gone 0 for 6). What an unbelievable game! Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.