Danny K*nnell's melt

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Danny Kannell's melt

I think OSU has a better argument than Oklahoma to be honest.
Not if losses matter. If all the games matter, OU has the better argument. I am a huge advocate of retaining that integrity in college football. ALL of the games have to matter.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Not if losses matter. If all the games matter, OU has the better argument. I am a huge advocate of retaining that integrity in college football. ALL of the games have to matter.
IMO in a head to head matchup, OSU wins because they have enough defense to slow the Sooners down. I think if OSU plays in the big 12 they win that conference too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

However, the wins matter, too - and that's how OSU got there in 2014.

OU DOES have the better argument. We agree there.

Personally? Just for the sake of vindictiveness, I'd love to see Notre Dame left out. Some nice 1966 revenge.

On the larger level, though, I can't endorse that.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

However, the wins matter, too - and that's how OSU got there in 2014.

OU DOES have the better argument. We agree there.

Personally? Just for the sake of vindictiveness, I'd love to see Notre Dame left out. Some nice 1966 revenge.

On the larger level, though, I can't endorse that.
Talk about revenge served cold. :smile:

I feel the same way.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It's not a horrible take. I think, however, you can't focus too much on a team's best performance of the season when it vastly exceeds their average--which is the case with OSU.

But I do give him credit for at least knocking Notre Dame out of the Top 4.

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/news/danny-kanell-has-a-controversial-new-top-4/amp
My beef with Danny Kanell is that he only has a national title ring because the voters applied the very same eye test he now eschews.

I even ripped him yesterday on his Twitter.

For those who aren't old enough or don't remember:

In 1993, the BIG GAME of the year was Florida State AT Notre Dame. Before the season it was the game circled. They wound up playing 1 vs 2. The Irish were leading, 31-10, and owning the game. FSU desperately tried to come back and lost, 31-24. The media had its narrative just like now so FSU was only dropped to #2. That was bad enough.

But then an FSU player named Matt Frier - soon to be known forver as Matt Cryer - got on TV and cried like a baby and BEGGED - I repeated, BEGGED - the voters for "a second chance." Based on FSU privilege and the idea of "these two teams should play again" (sound familiar?), TWO UNBEATEN TEAMS, Nebraska and West Virginia, were disparaged mercilessly.

And the very next week, Notre Dame lost a stunning upset to Boston College.

The same media that had spent a week bashing Nebraska - a team fwiw that had already lost THREE bowl games to FSU in the previous six years - turned right around and made them #1 and talked about what a great game FSU-Nebraska would be.

The part I could never understand is how losing to BC meant FSU had actually beaten Notre Dame.

to make things worse, WVA then beat Boston College.....unlike Notre Dame. The polls? No, WVA is not any good.

So Notre Dame's loss to BC somehow turned their win over FSU into a loss, the Noles played Nebraska, WVA got screwed and then got blown out by Spurrier......and Danny Kanell got an undeserved national championship ring.

A guy who won a ring the way he did has NO BUSINESS telling the rest of us to set aside the criteria by which he himself won it.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

Agreed, but to melt down with it though.
Herbstreit was having a meltdown last night giving a case for Georgia to get in. I thought he was going to go after Fowler who was really just trying to bring some perspective to the conversation.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

Don’t care for Kannell, but he has a point, abit badly stated. UGA had their chance and lost twice. Playing a great half of football and still losing doesn’t cut it. OSU, same thing as last year, very bad game to team they should have dominated. OU, did the same thing UGA did last year. They played a team that had beaten them previously and redeemed themselves.

Bama
Clemson
ND... cough, think they really belong in the “I’m Relevant, I Really Am Bowl” against UCF.
OU

Herbstreit was having a meltdown last night giving a case for Georgia to get in. I thought he was going to go after Fowler who was really just trying to bring some perspective to the conversation.
I missed that. UGA belongs just as much as they did in 2012. Thing is, you didn’t win the right games and got blown out in one. I’ll try to find that.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I don't waste my time on his fluff.
Who is this quavering mass of inane corpuscles aligned with media-wise these days, anyhow, the Country Boy Eddie Braying Buffoon Football Network?

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017

Simmer down, Dani.... the SEC didn't get two teams in again, it's all good. UGA wasn't getting in after losing twice, and especially one being a quasi-quarterfinal game. All that said, UGA would boatrace Oklahoma, Ohio State, or Notre Dame, and I'd call Clemson no better than a pick 'em against the Dawgs.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

I opened this thread half expecting to see that he thought Alabama shouldn't get in because they were almost beaten by Georgia.

No surprise that he is enamored with us having a close game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Just looked at his profile picture. Isn’t he the guy that played Ralph Malph on Happy Days? What would he know about football?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.