Might We See a Slight Change in Recruiting Philosophy?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Also, People UGA is bama in 08-12 Run run run. UGA played a perfect game and we played a C game. UGA running had alot to do with Mack not being where he was suppose to be. You could see it clearly in the Stadium. UGA was the number 2 team in the nation imo. We took their A+ game and won. I think this was like the 12 season when we faced them. The next two games aren't the same.
Spot on. Kirby has built a Bama clone of CNS's early offensive years at Bama. Strong and tough as a mule up front with great running backs and real good QB play.

There's no question they took the fight to us and won it in the first 35 minutes of the game.

CNS has adjusted and we are a little "lighter" in the trenches on defense but we can still play tough.

I do wonder if Kirby is banking on being able to eventually beat CNS at his old game with this style of play?

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Spot on. Kirby has built a Bama clone of CNS's early offensive years at Bama. Strong and tough as a mule up front with great running backs and real good QB play.

There's no question they took the fight to us and won it in the first 35 minutes of the game.

CNS has adjusted and we are a little "lighter" in the trenches on defense but we can still play tough.

I do wonder if Kirby is banking on being able to eventually beat CNS at his old game with this style of play?
That's a great question. I think Kirby's primary focus is adding quality depth across the board. As some have observed, one could make a strong case Georgia lost on Saturday, because of Bama's superior depth.

Philosophically, Kirby wants to run and pound on people, so that by the 4th Qtr. the opponent is gassed. That works against most teams, but not against Bama. To beat Bama you have to play flawlessly. You can't afford missed field goals, special team breakdowns and poor coaching decisions (see fake punt).

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
That's a great question. I think Kirby's primary focus is adding quality depth across the board. As some have observed, one could make a strong case Georgia lost on Saturday, because of Bama's superior depth.

Philosophically, Kirby wants to run and pound on people, so that by the 4th Qtr. the opponent is gassed. That works against most teams, but not against Bama. To beat Bama you have to play flawlessly. You can't afford missed field goals, special team breakdowns and poor coaching decisions (see fake punt).
Looking at CA's post on the football board regarding ga and bama aggregate talent and breakdown, it doesn't look like"quality" depth is major area of concern. The two programs are eerily, and to me, surprisingly similar in regards to talent coming out of high school, and even class breakdown (FR,SO, etc.) Honestly our D is desperately lacking experienced depth across the board. I know the jury is still out on KS but the development of talent and for me, the psychology that CNS has throughout the program is the key difference. I have always heard that teams take on the identity of their coach. KS by all accounts is arrogant, thinks he has earned his place at the table (see post game PC) and we all know that CNS drive to be the best is second to none. He doesn't feel as though he has made it and never will.
I don't see the need in going backwards on the recruiting philosophy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't even wonder about it any more. It was hard to tell, when he was basically coaching Richt kids. However, since then, his recruiting seems to lean the way ours used to. His game plan is basically our old game plan and we've gone basically to a spread. It's going to be interesting to watch...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't even wonder about it any more. It was hard to tell, when he was basically coaching Richt kids. However, since then, his recruiting seems to lean the way ours used to. His game plan is basically our old game plan and we've gone basically to a spread. It's going to be interesting to watch...
Yes, it will be interesting. CNS's intagibles was the difference in this game, but Kirby's "plan" worked like perfection until the second half and I think he pulls it off without Jalen's amazing contribution in the fourth quarter.

I love how our offense looks with Tua with the spread elements, but under a more AJ, Fromm, Coker, Tyson type QB, I think we'd probably shift back a little more to what we used to do and Kirby is doing right now.

Ironically, it was our QB play that almost sunk us in this game. When Tua wasn't clicking we either couldn't/didn't pound with the run game and that's the concern with an offense that is built like '18 Bama.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how Kirby handles the Fields situation and to see how their offense might change with his skill set.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Yes, it will be interesting. CNS's intagibles was the difference in this game, but Kirby's "plan" worked like perfection until the second half and I think he pulls it off without Jalen's amazing contribution in the fourth quarter.

I love how our offense looks with Tua with the spread elements, but under a more AJ, Fromm, Coker, Tyson type QB, I think we'd probably shift back a little more to what we used to do and Kirby is doing right now.

Ironically, it was our QB play that almost sunk us in this game. When Tua wasn't clicking we either couldn't/didn't pound with the run game and that's the concern with an offense that is built like '18 Bama.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how Kirby handles the Fields situation and to see how their offense might change with his skill set.
No. We will go after the best Qb's regardless. Kirby played the Mullen script and just like Mullen couldn't win. I got news for everyone Mullen is a hell of a coach and will make Florida really really really good. IMO better than Kirby

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Kirby's plan worked primarily because Tua was significantly injured on Bama's 3rd offensive play. Bama stoned UGA on their first possession. Bama dominated the last 27 minutes 21-0. UGA is good and they coached a good game but that game developed in an odd way and IMO, differently than what would typically happen. I would have looked forward to a rematch. IMO, CNS was being overly kind as usual with his post game comments.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Kirby's plan worked primarily because Tua was significantly injured on Bama's 3rd offensive play. Bama stoned UGA on their first possession. Bama dominated the last 27 minutes 21-0. UGA is good and they coached a good game but that game developed in an odd way and IMO, differently than what would typically happen. I would have looked forward to a rematch. IMO, CNS was being overly kind as usual with his post game comments.
Agreed, except that I would not want to see a rematch. I suffered through that entire game. Besides, we will see them again there in about 358 days.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
No. We will go after the best Qb's regardless. Kirby played the Mullen script and just like Mullen couldn't win. I got news for everyone Mullen is a hell of a coach and will make Florida really really really good. IMO better than Kirby
Wow, but you could be right on there. Dan quietly built a pretty good program at State. I just do not think he has the recruiting prowess that Kirby has and the he learned to emphasize from the master.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Wow, but you could be right on there. Dan quietly built a pretty good program at State. I just do not think he has the recruiting prowess that Kirby has and the he learned to emphasize from the master.
Mullen has the home state Florida advantage. I know GA is loaded also but if he can dominate the his home state which with FSU and Miami stuggles (not counting UCF and others) it is possible. he could bring some scary talent/teams to Gainseville and be a thorn in Kirby's side.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.