Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A lot of teams underestimate how fast he is getting to the edge. I have to respectfully disagree about Baker being better, I've watched every game both have played, and Murray can do things Baker could never do.
Baker could take the pounding......not sure this young man can. Bama hits HARD!

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
Based on how the linebackers played last night, I see this being a shootout-type game. That isn't to say that Alabama couldn't control the offense enough to put a sizable gap, but OU's offense is the only one that has better stats than Alabama's. UGA also showed how to best attack Alabama's defense, and OU can certainly replicate that plan. Alabama should win the game to play for the championship, but it'll be a challenge.
I don't agree with stats that are so often used when comparing teams from significantly different conferences. OU has great stats in a conference that for the most part does not play defense. OU would not even play for the SEC Championship with their defense. It has been shown for the last 10 to15 years what makes the SEC so dominant. It's not high scoring offenses. It is smash mouth in your face defenses that win in the SEC. Just my opinion.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
I would also agree with B1G. All we need to do on offense is play our game. Do what we've done all year. Make the other team beat you. GA did a great job. But I would contend that our lack of execution on both sides of the ball made it possible for GA to play as well as they did. When you try to change what you do well is where you run the potential for playing poorly.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I can't believe how many people are scared of OU and Murray.

How do we defend him? and with most answers being 'shorten the game' 'ball control keep away'.

How about how does OU defend Tua or Jalen when their defense is absolute steaming hot garbage. They are LAST is Pass Defense and 96th in Scoring D.

We are 4th in scoring defense and 13th in Passing D.

Murray and OU hasn't faced a team anywhere near the caliber of our Defense.

We will just flat outscore them....by.... A LOT.
How good was Georgia’s pass D? As I recollect, not very good. Yet what happened yesterday? Our starting QB and receivers struggled. Stats are an important metric, but they don’t account for everything.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
How good was Georgia’s pass D? As I recollect, not very good. Yet what happened yesterday? Our starting QB and receivers struggled. Stats are an important metric, but they don’t account for everything.
Are you kidding me? UGA is 15th in passing Defense.

What Happened? How about some context. Our QB got banged up/hurt/injured THREE different times until he was finally knocked out yet he still helped generate 21 points and then Jalen came in and WENT OFF on them and WE WON 35-28 over the #4 Team in the country who was seeking revenge for a year.

No we didn't play as well as normal but my god you have the most negative pessimistic contrarian view on this board.

We are VASTLY better than OU on defense as every bit as good as them on Offense.

We would have to play even worse than against UGA to maybe lose and I don't recall many times that a CNS team layed two eggs in a row and NEVER when a National Championship was on the line.

How about have some damn faith in your team my man. Good grief....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
True! It is important, however, to note that Kirby won National Championships coaching defense for CNS and presented a defensive scheme last night that would challenge any team and OC in the country. From an eye test standpoint it is extremely difficult for me to believe that Oklahoma has nearly the personnel or scheme to present the same level of challenge to Alabama.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Are you kidding me? UGA is 15th in passing Defense.

What Happened? How about some context. Our QB got banged up/hurt/injured THREE different times until he was finally knocked out yet he still helped generate 21 points and then Jalen came in and WENT OFF on them and WE WON 35-28 over the #4 Team in the country who was seeking revenge for a year.

No we didn't play as well as normal but my god you have the most negative pessimistic contrarian view on this board.

We are VASTLY better than OU on defense as every bit as good as them on Offense.

We would have to play even worse than against UGA to maybe lose and I don't recall many times that a CNS team layed two eggs in a row and NEVER when a National Championship was on the line.

How about have some damn faith in your team my man. Good grief....
You may not realize it, but D-35 has a long-term love affair with all things OK. I think he spent too much time in Kansas close to OK. Sorry, 35, but I'm telling the truth and any one can examine your posts over the years and see that. Therefore, people need to weight your posts with that in mind. I don't think you'll deny what I've said...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
All I ask is that we don't take them lightly. I remember taking a team lightly because they would have a 3rd string QB. We lost that one. QU's pass D is something like 125th out of 130 teams in the natuion. Their run defense is somewhat better but nothing to write home about. Unless someone gives me a ticket I won't be going but being in South Beach in January can't be all that bad.

If there will be any football parties for the playoffs in the Chattanooga, TN area, please PM me.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The best way to defend against Kyler Murray is the same way you defend against any good passer - put pressure on him, jam his receivers, and throw off their timing.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I agree, we don't have much of a chance. But we'll show up and play hard.
Dude. Seriously? The way y’all score? You don’t have much of chance????
Reminds me of a story from long ago, Bama was playing Nebraska (Orange Bowl? Sugar Bowl?) and Bear reportedly apologized to the team before the game; (paraphrasing) he said he was sorry for making them play a team as big and tough as Nebraska (they did have a decided size advantage IIRC).
Bama proceeded to - well, you know the story. Somebody should have given Bear an honorary degree is psychology.
If OU can figure out a way to stop Bama’s offense a few times, y’all have at least a puncher’s chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
nope. i've watched more than just that CG...He's made some impressive throws on the money and in stride. All QB's have a few passes that may not be in stride. Tua as well. But Murray has done it all season as well. he's definitely not a jump ball guy

You and I have very different ideas of what "in stride" means, then. I saw one top-shelf throw by Murray in the Big 12 CG. I saw only a couple against WVU the week before. Go back and look at most of his big-play passes from this season - on most of them there was no one near his receivers and they almost always had to slow up to catch the ball.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Play defense!!! ;)
Some of the best defenses Coach Bryant had were those that spent most of the game watching the wishbone offenses run up and down the field. This defense needs to spend most of the game watching Kyler Murray sitting on the bench most of the game on the other sideline. Jalen Hurts and Josh Jacobs (in the Wildcat) can accomplish that, along with Harris, Jacobs, Harris, and Robinson.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Georgia ran through them in the Rose Bowl last year. Running lanes were literally five yards wide and Sony Michel and Nick Chubb gashed them. Not to mention true freshman Jake Fromm threw with ease. The thing to avoid is turnovers. We were very loose with the ball yesterday and Oklahoma while not highly ranked on defense is opportunistic. Getting a turnover or the rare stop is all they need because their offense is so explosive.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
A lot of teams underestimate how fast he is getting to the edge. I have to respectfully disagree about Baker being better, I've watched every game both have played, and Murray can do things Baker could never do.
I saw several times in the championship game OU vs Texas when Texas had a player in position to at least turn Murray back inside and the Texas player took the wrong angle and was beat due to not having a feel for Murray's quickness and speed.

I keep thinking Bama needs a someone super quick and fast like Waddle playing the scout team QB at times in order for Bama's linebackers and DE's to get a feel for this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.