Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As it pertains to LR and his propensity to get too conservative...this is not based solely on the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. OU fans have seen it throughout his career as our OC and HC. Watch the first TCU game in Norman in 2017. #5 vs #6...we got a big lead at the half and literally coasted through the 2nd half. This is only one example. When we are tied or behind at halftime we seem to be much more aggressive in the 2nd half but when we have separated...2 or more td's, we get conservative. Is some of it opponent adjustments, yes but some of it is a tendency to sit on a lead, especially if the opponent isn't a team with quick strike capability.
CNS has a tendency to get real conservative in the second half when we've built a halftime lead, but that's because we always have the better defense against 99% of teams so it makes sense?

Why would LR ever get conservative...He's an offensive guy who knows he has a defense that leaks like a old rusty bucket?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I cant read the man's mind. I just know what I see. There are 2 criticisms of LR by OU fans: he gets too conservative with a lead & he gets greedy or impatient if you will and goes for the home run at times when we are literally pounding the rock.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
CNS has a tendency to get real conservative in the second half when we've built a halftime lead, but that's because we always have the better defense against 99% of teams so it makes sense?

Why would LR ever get conservative...He's an offensive guy who knows he has a defense that leaks like a old rusty bucket?
Doubt both coaches will get conservative in second half.... no matter who has the lead. They want to continue to build the lead....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Doubt both coaches will get conservative in second half.... no matter who has the lead. They want to continue to build the lead....
Not referring to this game (Bama/OU) but just the fact that CNS has a reason to slow the game down because he has a defense and LR really doesn't.

FWIW, in this game, because of who we are playing, I think we need to keep the hammer down!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not referring to this game (Bama/OU) but just the fact that CNS has a reason to slow the game down because he has a defense and LR really doesn't.

FWIW, in this game, because of who we are playing, I think we need to keep the hammer down!
What few remarks he's made indicates that he understands the danger of playing conservative and plans to keep the hammer down...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since Lincoln has gotten on staff, OU's season scoring averages of each quarter:

1 - 151.8
2 - 186
3 - 140
4 - 119.3
OT - 6

That doesn't seem going conservative to me. The second quarter average is the real outlier.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Since Lincoln has gotten on staff, OU's season scoring averages of each quarter:

1 - 151.8
2 - 186
3 - 140
4 - 119.3
OT - 6

That doesn't seem going conservative to me. The second quarter average is the real outlier.
As a fan it feels better to say the coaches got conservative rather than say they were out coached or didn't have the quality depth of talent to hang with a team like UGA for a full 4 quarters plus overtime. So therefore the response from OU about last year's Rose Bowl is that Lincoln Riley just got conservative rather than Lincoln Riley got out coached or OU doesn't have near the amount of talent on the 85 man roster that UGA and Bama have..

Sooners918

Dec 15, 2018
As a fan it feels better to say the coaches got conservative rather than say they were out coached or didn't have the quality depth of talent to hang with a team like UGA for a full 4 quarters plus overtime. So therefore the response from OU about last year's Rose Bowl is that Lincoln Riley just got conservative rather than Lincoln Riley got out coached or OU doesn't have near the amount of talent on the 85 man roster that UGA and Bama have..

He 100% got conservative in that 2nd half and admitted it. I'm not saying Georgia didn't cause issues but the playcalling was completely different.

Sooners918

Dec 15, 2018
I have to say, I find this post absolutely hilarious - for a couple reasons. Not because it's absurd on its face or anything like that but because of the relative irony - especially to Bama fans.

You - and many other Oklahoma fans I've noticed - lament that Riley "went conservative" on offense after the half and blame the lack of success after halftime almost completely on that as opposed to Georgia's defensive adjustments.

While that is theoretically possible, it is hilarious and ironic for two reasons...

First, Oklahoma's offensive playcalling after halftime was almost a perfect 50:50 run/pass ratio. Alabama fans lament our offense "going conservative" at times because it hits - or at least nears - a 90:10 run/pass ratio.

Second, those "slow-developing" or "ineffective" plays you guys were running after halftime were many of the same ones that got you all those points in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Obviously you missed the comment about the Georgia adjustment.

Aggressiveness doesn't just deal with balance. OU is always balanced. Non OU fans were saying the same thing. Riley froze up a bit in that game.

It was a different style of play calls. Some bad play calls in critical moments is the main criticism.

In the end if the defense wasnt God awful it wouldn't have mattered.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I cant read the man's mind. I just know what I see. There are 2 criticisms of LR by OU fans: he gets too conservative with a lead & he gets greedy or impatient if you will and goes for the home run at times when we are literally pounding the rock.
Terrible coach, absolutely terrible. May I suggest that he gets the ax on Christmas Eve. I'm sure the Sooners could find a better coach before the game

Keep it on the QT, but I think "The Gus Bus" may be available and he never ever gets conservative.

Big Blue Font (partially) intended.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Both coaches no better than to try to sit on a leed in the upcoming game.
We can't, because OK is a fast scoring Offense, and a leed can dwindle to a loss.

We don't have to play reckless if we are up a couple of scores, We can switch to our grind em out control the clock Offense. I'm not sure OK can do that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The way we played the game when we got the ball at the 50 with 3 minutes left in a tied game should tell you how Saban feels about going conservative with the game in the balance.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The way we played the game when we got the ball at the 50 with 3 minutes left in a tied game should tell you how Saban feels about going conservative with the game in the balance.
To be fair, we had just came back from being down... so we were in aggressive mode throughout the game. I don't think we've went conservative much this season.. even when we ran the ball in second half, we still scored. We just gotta get 2-4 stops... and keep scoring.. don't stop. We have to keep confusing them throughout the game... force them to make mistakes.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Conversely...we played for a field goal in the NCG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.