Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You guys need to go back a watch that game again. If not for the 3 dropped passes, you guys beat Georgia handily in that game. Tua played well enough to win, and you would have won with him at QB if Williams had not stepped on his foot and totally wrecked him.

This board felt this way going into the playoffs last year. I thought you had learned. I was wrong. Nothing less than being 100 point favorites would keep some of you from criticizing your players and coaches, so afraid that you might not win.

You have the best team in the country - maybe in the history of the sport. Maybe you lose. Who can be sure? But, goodness, get a grip.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I gotta say, if the gameplan is just to rough him up then we may be in trouble because he's as shifty as Manziel if not a bit faster and he slides only like a pro baseball player could. It is tough to get a clean, hard hit on him.

I agree with the general concept that you want to put a hard hit on a good QB early because sometimes it rattles their confidence and never allows them to find a rhythm in the game. Take that hit if we can get it but the focus should be on being ready for what they do and executing the fundamentals at a high level.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I gotta say, if the gameplan is just to rough him up then we may be in trouble because he's as shifty as Manziel if not a bit faster and he slides only like a pro baseball player could. It is tough to get a clean, hard hit on him.

I agree with the general concept that you want to put a hard hit on a good QB early because sometimes it rattles their confidence and never allows them to find a rhythm in the game. Take that hit if we can get it but the focus should be on being ready for what they do and executing the fundamentals at a high level.
Yeah, Saban will be all about taking away what they do best. In this case, he will be taking away the run.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

To hit a mosquito or water bug you’ve gotta catch him first.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
You guys need to go back a watch that game again. If not for the 3 dropped passes, you guys beat Georgia handily in that game. Tua played well enough to win, and you would have won with him at QB if Williams had not stepped on his foot and totally wrecked him.

This board felt this way going into the playoffs last year. I thought you had learned. I was wrong. Nothing less than being 100 point favorites would keep some of you from criticizing your players and coaches, so afraid that you might not win.

You have the best team in the country - maybe in the history of the sport. Maybe you lose. Who can be sure? But, goodness, get a grip.
And the dropped passes kept Tua and the offense from finding the rhythm that would have kept Georgia off the field so they wouldn’t have found their own rhythm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN

Well stated and I agree 100%. Who has been the number 1 team all year? Why must we agonize about how hard it's going to be to win against anyone? Who is going to stop Alabama? Our boys just need to focus and execute during the game and we win. It's that simple. I look forward to watching Bama curb stomp the next two teams who face us. Roll Tide!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Alabama is 1 of about 3 teams that can play Oklahoma’s pace and feel confident in winning. I think making Kyler driving field and avoiding the big play is the single key of the game. From what I’ve watched of Oklahoma the past 2 years it seems if you force them to go through their whole playbook in the first half they become predictable and frustrated.

Kyler is going to give us gifts if you take away his home run threat like Tua has in 3 key games against the best defenses. I say let Tua loose early and ground and pound late.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
The other thing that I have noticed going on. All the pundits (even the ones I can stomach), have but one primary goal. They want to build up the suspense and get everyone excited about the games. That's why you always have such ludicrous statements from the peanut gallery. I listen but I don't buy into 99%. There is so much pre-game - fanfare - listen to me I'm so smart - crap and it's all about 1 thing and 1 thing only - MONEY. Ratings and cash flow. And a lot of it applies to every single game. Run the ball - stop the run - contain the QB - sack the QB, etc..... That's just football. I know that our coaching staff is doing their duty. And, no one does it better. They know in great detail every single weakness and strength of our opponent. They will scheme for it and lay in the correct game plan. The players just need to keep their focus and execute. We will win the game. Roll Tide!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We normally play our best defensively when the guys feel challenged or disrespected. I think that by the time this game rolls around, they’ll be at that point.

Offensively, we just can’t fiddle-fart the first half away. Their defense is terrible. Plain and simple. Jump on them early.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I listened to a video clip of Skip Bayless and Shannon videoed right after the selection. He not only thinks Bama will skulldrag OU, but that either UGA or OSU would have done the same, mainly because of their total lack of defense. In fact, he doesn't think they belong in the CFP. This is amazing. He's dogged Bama and Tua all year and he's never hidden his Sooner fandom and the fact that he was born into a Sooner family and although attending Vandy, he's remained a staunch Sooner fan. This is worth a watch...

LINK

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.