Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So now we know we must deal with him. Should we take a conservative approach on offense, run the ball a lot, win the TOP battle and play keep away? Should we air it out with Tua and just try to outscore them? What can we do on defense to try and cause Murray some problems?

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
Just hope the coin flip on pass interference goes our way. I can't believe how many times he just heaves up a hail mary style pass hoping for a catch or PI.

I little more serious, Kirby showed the game plan in second half of playoff last year. Kyler runs more than Baker but not much has changed schematically from last years team to this on.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Play tight man to man coverage. We laid off why too far on UGA's receivers last night. Run the ball, nickel and dime them to death with short passes and go deep only when it's really open. Control the clock. RTR

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Edge containment, pressure up the middle, a single spy/robber/rat with speed, mainly playing cover-1 man.

They haven't faced anything remotely resembling an elite defense and have pretty much only seen softer-than-a-wet-noodle coverage by defensive backs.

Kyler rarely hits his receivers in stride and throws up more jump balls than any SEC QB, ever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A: Defend him like Auburn did. You know when he was 13/23 for 105 yards, 0 TDs and 3 INTs and decided it was time to leave the SEC.
B: Run the ball, control the clock. Don't get into a shootout, don't let your defense get worn out.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Edge containment, pressure up the middle, a single spy/robber/rat with speed, mainly playing cover-1 man.

They haven't faced anything remotely resembling an elite defense and have pretty much only seen softer-than-a-wet-noodle coverage by defensive backs.

Kyler rarely hits his receivers in stride and throws up more jump balls than any SEC QB, ever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
He hits them in stride most of the time...hes good. Hopefully we get pressure and cause him to have an off game

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Ball control on our side and hit him often. I think playing coverage is a mistake. I like pressure and man. Rather get beat big than a thousand cuts that wears out the defense. Hit him enough and pressure him in to some turn overs.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.