Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We are going to spy Tua and according to BigTide, that will be the difference 
That actually helps Alabama, as Tua won't be running the way that Murray does. One less guy in coverage = receivers running even more open that nomal.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
A spy only works as part of the entire 11 man D and its effectiveness. The idea is to score. If KM runs for say only 40 yards but throws for 370 and the result is 7-8 TD's who cares whether he is contained or not. The key is whether Alabama can get pressure from their 4 down w/o blitzing. If they can It will be a long day for OU. If they cant we are looking at a shootout. The other thing is RZ D. If the Tide can hold us to FG's that will help. Oh, and I was being facetious about spying Tua. I don't think such a scheme will be effective for either team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A spy only works as part of the entire 11 man D and its effectiveness. The idea is to score. If KM runs for say only 40 yards but throws for 370 and the result is 7-8 TD's who cares whether he is contained or not. The key is whether Alabama can get pressure from their 4 down w/o blitzing. If they can It will be a long day for OU. If they cant we are looking at a shootout. The other thing is RZ D. If the Tide can hold us to FG's that will help. Oh, and I was being facetious about spying Tua. I don't think such a scheme will be effective for either team.
Good post, but Alabama can bring extra people as long as it is well disguised - same goes for OU. I have no idea what Alabama will do there. That is what is so tough about this defense - They rush 3-5 people, and it is almost impossible to figure out before the ball is snapped. OU also does a pretty good job disguising their corner blitzes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good post, but Alabama can bring extra people as long as it is well disguised - same goes for OU. I have no idea what Alabama will do there. That is what is so tough about this defense - They rush 3-5 people, and it is almost impossible to figure out before the ball is snapped. OU also does a pretty good job disguising their corner blitzes.
This got me thinking for a moment. I wonder if Bama will try and flush Murray out of his pocket... use the DT and use one edge rusher to force him to run to the left side of the field, get him to throw ball across his body. It would make him less effective throwing cross the body. Or maybe use DT to rush, and get him feeling uncomfortable.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
This got me thinking for a moment. I wonder if Bama will try and flush Murray out of his pocket... use the DT and use one edge rusher to force him to run to the left side of the field, get him to throw ball across his body. It would make him less effective throwing cross the body. Or maybe use DT to rush, and get him feeling uncomfortable.
I like our chances with our linemen. We have good edge rushers and very good right up the middle rushers. If they can "affect" the QB without having to blitz a lot we will be fine. I think we can do that. I think we can dominate the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. We just need to limit the mental errors on both sides of the ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you flush him, you have to have a plan to tackle him. IMO, his legs are the difference maker. So, you don't flush him.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
I agree. Make him throw the ball - not run. That's what I meant by our lineman affecting him. Make him throw before he is ready.
Our secondary can cover their receivers and if the QB is forced to throw before he is ready it affects the timing on the play.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If you flush him, you have to have a plan to tackle him. IMO, his legs are the difference maker. So, you don't flush him.
It is going to be very interesting in terms of the defensive scheme that the brain trust comes up with. Murray is much like Maziel in terms of breaking contain in the pocket and making those improvisational throws. He doesn't have a great arm and often throws of his back foot. IMO he isn't going to make many great throws to the wide outs with the athletes Bama has in coverage. The damage will be done with him getting outside and flipping the ball to a back or to a tight end or him running QB draws back though the middle which will lead to first downs. It requires a clean sheet of paper approach to combat this type of offense.

Question: Do we believe Oklahoma can run it well enough in a normal set to force Alabama out of a dime package? Taking it as a given that having more speed on defense would be a plus!

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
It is going to be very interesting in terms of the defensive scheme that the brain trust comes up with. Murray is much like Maziel in terms of breaking contain in the pocket and making those improvisational throws. He doesn't have a great arm and often throws of his back foot. IMO he isn't going to make many great throws to the wide outs with the athletes Bama has in coverage. The damage will be done with him getting outside and flipping the ball to a back or to a tight end or him running QB draws back though the middle which will lead to first downs. It requires a clean sheet of paper approach to combat this type of offense.

Question: Do we believe Oklahoma can run it well enough in a normal set to force Alabama out of a dime package? Taking it as a given that having more speed on defense would be a plus!
Nope. They may have some limited success on the edges. Dylan Moses will have to play a good game. Our dime package still has a lot of secondary players who can tackle.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand it's a risk to do that, but I was just wondering if we gamble and see if he can make throws but then again, the Arkansas game gave me nightmare... we left lanes wide open, didn't tackle well in that game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand it's a risk to do that, but I was just wondering if we gamble and see if he can make throws but then again, the Arkansas game gave me nightmare... we left lanes wide open, didn't tackle well in that game.
I don't think it's a gamble we want to take. Smart said they intended to flush Jalen, but that, when they did, he hurt them with his legs...

Sooners918

Dec 15, 2018
I don't think that's it at all - I think you're seeing a reaction to the idea that you continue to put forth that Murray and this offense are the most unstoppable, mind-bending things ever seen in sports.

It's as if you think Bama isn't top-to-bottom loaded with sick talent.

It's not arrogance or smugness here, it's a reaction to someone coming along and acting as if half a team can beat a whole team.

Yes, OU has a chance, but the books have them as 2 TD dogs for a reason.

On paper bama should win this game by 10-20 points.

Ou can stay in this game if they can consistently run the ball and avoid turnovers.

They desperately need marquise brown healthy. He changes the whole offense. Defenses can be much more aggressive if he's out.

The two guys I think people aren't talking about that can be a problem for bama is calcaterra and Lee Morris. They both big WR / TE type players who will get matched up on LBs. Murray loves to find Morris in key situations (high school teammate).

Lamb is probably OUs best overall WR. He just doesn't have the speed like brown.

Also OUs rbs are not flashy. I wouldn't call either of the two elite rbs. They are very good though. This is a game that having Rodney Anderson would help a lot.

I'm interested in the matchup between OUs freshman center and y'alls stud DT. The center will probably be one of the best in the country in a year or two but not sure he's ready for this.

As far as OUs defense....LOL. I just hope they can force some turnovers. Waddle scares me to death. He may set some records.

There is some talent defensively but they just can't put it together. The secondary is extremely undersized. Hopefully they can get a safety or two back for the game. They have probably lost 3 to 4 safeties to injuries this year.

I think bama wins 48-35 but you never know.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Question...from everything I've read from neutral observers this edition of Tide D is not as good as recent past D's and generally the back 7 are referenced as the culprits. I have not watched Tide football enough to make pass judgement on these opinions. How do folks herein feel about your lb's and secondary?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Question...from everything I've read from neutral observers this edition of Tide D is not as good as recent past D's and generally the back 7 are referenced as the culprits. I have not watched Tide football enough to make pass judgement on these opinions. How do folks herein feel about your lb's and secondary?
Both are good groups, but the LB's get bogged down in the middle at times and we have a frosh at one corner since Diggs was injured. Other than that both are pretty solid.

I PM'd you on your earlier question. You can find that under the "Notifications" link at the tippy top of the page.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
The Bama secondary had to be replaced in total this year. Very talented but not a lot of experience. They have a whole season of experience now. I don't believe we are as dominant in our LB play this year - but they are still very good. In my opinion, most of our mistakes have been mental errors. Bama plays very sophisticated defensive schemes. It requires great communication and mental focus. Sometimes, like with GA, our players have to adjust to what the offense is doing. Usually, when we see formations and plays that are out of the norm of what the team usually plays. Our DC will adjust at half-time and usually this allows our Defense to shut teams down. Do not overlook the talent that resides on both sides of the ball with Bama. These are top notch athletes that with experience just gets better. Also, IMO - Bama doesn't just play defense to stop teams from scoring. The intent is to dominate and shut down the opponent. We all know how talented OU's QB is. OU has an explosive offense. But Bama has the best defense OU will see this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can only echo what the others have said. The secondary has really come along. They may be a shade below last year's, which was led by Minkah Fitzpatrick, the #11 pick in the draft. Three of the DBs were drafted in all, so it was retool from the ground up. Now, they're doing well. The weakest spot, as the others have said, is ILB and that's exactly where I expect CLR to attack...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.