Question: What's the best way to defend against Kyler Murray?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hmmm. This surprises me. Is Jalen the fastest player on Bama's team? I thought Jalen was more of a big-bruiser runner than a burner runner.
On top of that, he's a powerlifter, competed in high school. He squats 600 lb. Last year, only three players could out-squat him, two OL and one DL...

Edit: Add video URL...

LINK

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Jalen has been officially time at 4.48 in the 40. That is smoking fast for anyone, much less a 6'2", 220# QB.
FIFY

When he runs it reminds me of Matt Jones (Arky QB) - those long, gliding strides don't make him look like he's moving very fast so guys take bad angles - but he's out there SMOKING down the field...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
FIFY

When he runs it reminds me of Matt Jones (Arky QB) - those long, gliding strides don't make him look like he's moving very fast so guys take bad angles - but he's out there SMOKING down the field...
you could see his speed when he made the corner in that first down run he had in his first series of the sec cg. gary had to take back his "he's not a 100 % runner after his injury" comment.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
With regards to the speed of KM when compared to JH, in my opinion the real difference looks to be quickness. From the little that I've watched of KM he has the ability to get to full speed in a step where it look like JH needs a couple of steps to get it completely going. KM also looks to be able to make insane cuts while running full speed. That said, when your as darn strong as JH, the 4.5 speed is a handful to deal with when it's coming down hill at you and we've all seen JH finish some runs in a very rude manner (rude from the defensive perspective).

Last edited:

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Another player that I think will have a big role in helping to contain KM is Raekwon Davis. Aside from the obvious that Davis is projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick, he's also 6"7. While there are some big boys out there these days, I'm not sure how many 6''7 defensive linemen that have his ability to move are out there. I don't think Davis has to necessarily get his hands on KM to affect his game, but he's almost a full foot taller than KM so if he gets his hands up he should be able to shut down some throwing lanes and limit KM's vision. This could be one of those games within the game to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With regards to the speed of KM when compared to JH, in my opinion the real difference looks to be quickness. From the little that I've watched of KM he has the ability to get to full speed in a step where it look like JH needs a couple of steps to get it completely going. KM also looks to be able to make insane cuts while running full speed. That said, when your as darn strong as JH, the 4.5 speed is a handful to deal with when it's coming down hill at you and we've all seen JH finish some runs in a very rude manner (rude from the defensive perspective).
Each has their strengths. When Jalen needs to get a first down with his legs he tries to get around defenders, but he is also willing and able to run defenders over to get that first down (or TD). Murray is lightening quick, but he is not going to risk his body - ever.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Heard a long time Oklahoma reporter talk about how Lincoln Riley game plans with Kyler Murray. Essentially he said that they force the Defensive Ends to commit to the run or to attempting to contain Murray. They want to get the big guys in space because Murray will win that practically every time. I would believe that once he is outside of containment he will look to pressure a defensive back to come up to support the run then drop the ball into the gap vacated. We all recall Nick Marshall putting this into practice. They have a good/decent offensive line that will force our outside linebackers to honor the run fake. Given that Murray will be very difficult to contain what is the defensive plan once he is outside the pocket? I think also they will be looking to get inside LBs confused and in pass coverage to provide creases for Murray to exploit the middle of the field. An interesting conundrum to solve as a Defensive coach.

Best Defense...Pound the ball! Play smash mouth offensive football!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Given that Murray will be very difficult to contain what is the defensive plan once he is outside the pocket?
You push him to help, whether that be the sideline or another player. You never try to tackle him alone in space. That is the plan, and the job of the spy.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Heard a long time Oklahoma reporter talk about how Lincoln Riley game plans with Kyler Murray. Essentially he said that they force the Defensive Ends to commit to the run or to attempting to contain Murray. They want to get the big guys in space because Murray will win that practically every time. I would believe that once he is outside of containment he will look to pressure a defensive back to come up to support the run then drop the ball into the gap vacated. We all recall Nick Marshall putting this into practice. They have a good/decent offensive line that will force our outside linebackers to honor the run fake. Given that Murray will be very difficult to contain what is the defensive plan once he is outside the pocket? I think also they will be looking to get inside LBs confused and in pass coverage to provide creases for Murray to exploit the middle of the field. An interesting conundrum to solve as a Defensive coach.

Best Defense...Pound the ball! Play smash mouth offensive football!
From a defensive standpoint, I think the middle of the field is where the game will be won or lost. We've shown that we can be schemed into confusion with regards to our middle linebackers. We have a month to get our ducks in a row with that regard, but then again what new wrinkles will OU come up with during the down time? I'd really like to see us come out and run the ball with success. The pass will likely be there for us either way but if we're able to run the ball and keep them off the field then that has to heavily favor the good guys.

Another thing I do not want to see is us come out of the gates with slow start. I heard Saban mention in a couple of pressers that teams can get mentally tired as the season wears on so maybe that will also fix itself with the down time. Bama should win this game in my opinion but I do admit that the OU offense does worry me a little. One thing to consider though is that our change in recruiting philosophy on defense should pay dividends in a game like this (with the lighter more versatile defensive linemen/linebackers). We also need to get a strong push up the middle from Quinnen and the boys. Like others have alluded to, I'd also like to get a few shots in on KM to see how he responds. I don't want to see anything dirty but I would like to see some clean licks on him to see if that can get him off his game...easier said than done since he is very smart about avoiding hits.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Disclosure: I want this game to be a high scoring shoot out close game. I'm going to the game and its a rare chance to see likely 2 Heisman QBs and the best QB in Alabama history vs the QB having arguably the best season in OU history going at one another. I don't get a chance to travel to see Alabama play often and I've never been to an OU game (my wife went there) so I really want this game to to be a close high scoring game that Alabama ultimately wins because of Tua.

However, the more I think about it the more this game the more it reminds me of the LSU game. Don't get me wrong, LSU and OU are completely different teams. But, they are similar in that they both are very clearly lopsided teams. One unit is dominate while the other is bad to terrible. And I just don't see how a team with such a huge obvious weakness beats this Bama team. I think it will be close early and could even see OU start with a bit of a lead. But I'd be pretty surprised if we don't cover.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Disclosure: I want this game to be a high scoring shoot out close game. I'm going to the game and its a rare chance to see likely 2 Heisman QBs and the best QB in Alabama history vs the QB having arguably the best season in OU history going at one another. I don't get a chance to travel to see Alabama play often and I've never been to an OU game (my wife went there) so I really want this game to to be a close high scoring game that Alabama ultimately wins because of Tua..
You'll understand if I hope that you are disappointed. I want Alabama to win by 50 and have the starters on the bench for the entire 4th quarter so Sooner fans can see for themselves why Tua's stats are so low compared to Murray.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You'll understand if I hope that you are disappointed. I want Alabama to win by 50 and have the starters on the bench for the entire 4th quarter so Sooner fans can see for themselves why Tua's stats are so low compared to Murray.
Totally fair. I mean, I probably wouldn't be disappointed. I had a ton of fun at the Washington game a few years ago even though the game itself wasn't pretty. I just think it would cooler to be at a game that people talk about for a long time. Plus I'm probably going to pony up for nicer seats than I originally planned.

Honestly, as long as Tua plays, makes a few of his usual yet jaw dropping throws, and Alabama wins then I'll be more than satisfied.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Totally fair. I mean, I probably wouldn't be disappointed. I had a ton of fun at the Washington game a few years ago even though the game itself wasn't pretty. I just think it would cooler to be at a game that people talk about for a long time. Plus I'm probably going to pony up for nicer seats than I originally planned.

Honestly, as long as Tua plays, makes a few of his usual yet jaw dropping throws, and Alabama wins then I'll be more than satisfied.
Don't worry. People will be talking about a blowout massacre win for a very long time. Even if it's just us. ;)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
You push him to help, whether that be the sideline or another player. You never try to tackle him alone in space. That is the plan, and the job of the spy.
We know he is difficult to contain and like Deshaun Watson difficult from keeping from getting to the 1st down marker. It seems like the game that no SEC coach would want to be involved... contain as they work down the field, play for a mistake like a tipped or dropped ball, a defensive pressure and bad throw, consider a field goal as a win.

I come back to ball control, running and passing, as a way to keep the defense fresh while holding the Oklahoma offense to fewer plays than their norm.

I plan to take a look at the Army and Texas game for a second time to determine where they are mortal on offense.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Disclosure: I want this game to be a high scoring shoot out close game. I'm going to the game and its a rare chance to see likely 2 Heisman QBs and the best QB in Alabama history vs the QB having arguably the best season in OU history going at one another. I don't get a chance to travel to see Alabama play often and I've never been to an OU game (my wife went there) so I really want this game to to be a close high scoring game that Alabama ultimately wins because of Tua.

However, the more I think about it the more this game the more it reminds me of the LSU game. Don't get me wrong, LSU and OU are completely different teams. But, they are similar in that they both are very clearly lopsided teams. One unit is dominate while the other is bad to terrible. And I just don't see how a team with such a huge obvious weakness beats this Bama team. I think it will be close early and could even see OU start with a bit of a lead. But I'd be pretty surprised if we don't cover.
You have no regard for the older Bama fans with bad hearts. Shame on you!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
B1GTide is right. There would be nothing sweeter than to see Tua sit the entire 4th QTR because we have a large, insurmountable lead. Poetic, really.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.