Tua to have procedure for high ankle sprain

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Tua ankle which one or both?

You sure about this? I thought it was his front foot, which would be his right foot, that got rolled on the first drive. It was his back foot, which would be his left foot, that was stepped on by our LT. The second injury was the one that required some clean up with surgery is my understanding. Either way, I'm hoping he heals quickly and is ready for game preparation.
Williams stepped on the right foot.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Jalen said he just now is getting back to normal after his high ankle sprain surgery on 10/21. I don't feel good about this at all for Tua, he seems like he gets hurt easy and maybe a slow healer. We may be riding Jalen through the playoffs.
Even if that happens, something tells me we will be ok and win #18. :smile:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
UGA knew Tua was not as mobile and was red-lighted from running and schemed accordingly. Tua's accuracy was also clearly off a bit due to how he was planting to throw. Not as worried about OU, but a Clemson team that gets after the QB will feast on a limited-mobility QB. Unless Tua is 90% or more, I would think Bama would be wise to go into cfp running a 2-QB system. When Hurts came in UGA did not adjust well to his running ability. The way to defend those two QBs is very different. Even when Tua was not injured he's not a run-first QB like Hurts was at times.
FIFY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm very concerned about whether or not Tua will be 100% for the playoff, but those that were being realistic all year long realized something could go wrong... and this is it.

Having said that, there are potential silver linings.

This might help Tua become a bit more Sabanesque in his approach. Tua needs to be willing to throw the ball away more and not try to turn every play into a touchdown. If he is concerned about an injury that might do the trick.
It's very important that Tua finds a healthy balance between keeping a play alive and knowing when it's time to get rid of it before taking a hit.

Our NC this year may depend on it AND his pro career will be defined by it.

So to clarify:

Tua hurt his left ankle - the ankle he pushes off of on throws - early in the game.

Tua had his right ankle rolled up on in the second half.

Tua had the surgery on his left ankle.

So the big injury was early on which explains why he played so poorly.

That's actually good news.
I'll take the glass half full view here too and say it explains why he missed several of this throws...especially the 2 ints near the goal line.

A healthy Tua probably doesn't throw either.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012

So to clarify:

Tua hurt his left ankle - the ankle he pushes off of on throws - early in the game.

Tua had his right ankle rolled up on in the second half.

Tua had the surgery on his left ankle.

So the big injury was early on which explains why he played so poorly.

That's actually good news.
I was wondering how bad that left ankle was during the game. It was obvious that Tua wasn't as mobile or as accurate after it was injured. If it was a high ankle sprain, the pain could account for difficulty making good decisions throwing the ball away as well. Hopefully he'll be able to recover, but if not I can't think of a backup quarterback I'd rather have in the finals than #2.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i think having tua around has made people forget that jalen is a stone-cold baller. and now his passing has improved :D
No doubt. I love Tua and hope he plays in this game, but if he can't, this is actually the game that Jalen's "style" (especially with his improved passing) can be very effective.

With Tua, we often score quickly but sometimes we bog down a little when the field gets shorter near the goal line.

With Jalen and his running ability couplee with OK's weaker defense we should be able to move the ball with running the ball with Jalen and our RBs and Jalen's improved passing skills.

If we have to play without Tua in a game, I like how this game matches up Jalen's skill set with a style that will eat a lot of clock.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No doubt. I love Tua and hope he plays in this game, but if he can't, this is actually the game that Jalen's "style" (especially with his improved passing) can be very effective.

With Tua, we often score quickly but sometimes we bog down a little when the field gets shorter near the goal line.

With Jalen and his running ability couplee with OK's weaker defense we should be able to move the ball with running the ball with Jalen and our RBs and Jalen's improved passing skills.

If we have to play without Tua in a game, I like how this game matches up Jalen's skill set with a style that will eat a lot of clock.
the alabama fanbase's reaction at the thought of jalen going against a suspect defense.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Jalen(assuming Tua can't go) and Jaylen(Waddle) could/should have big games against this D.

I was joking with a friend yesterday that every touch Waddle gets might be a TD vs this OU team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It's very important that Tua finds a healthy balance between keeping a play alive and knowing when it's time to get rid of it before taking a hit.

Our NC this year may depend on it AND his pro career will be defined by it.

I'll take the glass half full view here too and say it explains why he missed several of this throws...especially the 2 ints near the goal line.

A healthy Tua hits both passes. On both, the WR was open. Tua was just late and short with the passes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Not sure about the first, but the second makes plenty of sense now. He was late and behind Waddle. He's previously hit him over the shoulder on that pass.

Another one that makes more sense now is the pass Irv dropped. Tua doesn't underthrow guys like that. While Irv should have caught the ball, Tua has hit guys in stride all season on that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Not sure about the first, but the second makes plenty of sense now. He was late and behind Waddle. He's previously hit him over the shoulder on that pass.

Another one that makes more sense now is the pass Irv dropped. Tua doesn't underthrow guys like that. While Irv should have caught the ball, Tua has hit guys in stride all season on that.
Yes, he may have forced that first one a little, but it did occur right after the injury to his left ankle.

It's also true, as Gary Danielson rightly noted, that Tua's last lesson to learn is that he can't make a big play on every throw. I think he tried to force several throws against Georgia that just weren't there. He's done it several times as the season wore on, but these were also the times were were playing our best competition.

Assuming he's healed and can play, we might expect to see more guys running in the open against OK's defense and I imagine well see his accuarcy improved a bit when throwing into bigger open windows.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Saturdaydownsouth is your definitive source for medical information? "High ankle sprain" is not a precise medical term. S

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
saturdaydownsouth is not a definitive source of medical information and "high ankle sprain" is not a precise medical term. A TFL tear might mistakenly be called a "high" sprain by a non-orthopedic surgeon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
saturdaydownsouth is not a definitive source of medical information and "high ankle sprain" is not a precise medical term. A TFL tear might mistakenly be called a "high" sprain by a non-orthopedic surgeon.
Do you realize the "high ankle sprain" diagnosis was only reported after Saban said it?

And yes, most of us know there's no real thing as a high ankle sprain.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Yes I do realize that Saban said "high ankle sprain" and I do not think he was trying to mislead anyone. A syndesmosis tear is a "real thing" and the syndesmosis is above the lateral malleolus but a TFL tear would also show up on MRI and could be evaluated arthroscopically. Believe what you want to believe dude.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.