Tua to have procedure for high ankle sprain

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes I do realize that Saban said "high ankle sprain" and I do not think he was trying to mislead anyone. A syndesmosis tear is a "real thing" and the syndesmosis is above the lateral malleolus but a TFL tear would also show up on MRI and could be evaluated arthroscopically. Believe what you want to believe dude.
We are not criticizing you. Maybe you can help us understand what we should be thinking about here. Teach us. We know that you have experience here.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Folks are getting a wee bit testy. The interception on the goal line was a TD if Tua had thrown the ball with his usual precision. Our receiver had to slow down and the pass was slow and behind the receiver. The Georgia safety was able to come from 20 feet away and make the interception. I think Tua's ankle was really affecting his play.

Whatever kind of injury he has, I hope he is ready for the Orange Bowl.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
If someone tore his syndesmosis, the membrane that holds the fibula and tibia together than the ankle would be very unstable since the distal fibula is the lateral ankle bone and the distal tibia is the medial malleolus of the ankle. A syndemosis tear can be repaired with screws (the traditional method) or, as you correctly pointed out, by the tightrope procedure. Presumably Jalen had a syndesmosis tear that needed stabilization. Tua, however, might have a totally different type of injury that does not require wires or screws in order to stabilize the ankle. An MRI report and an orthopedic consultant's report would contain relevant facts in order to make a prognosis as to when the player may return to playing form. The coach said he might be able to play in a couple of weeks. I saw the way his ankle rolled and that mechanism often causes a TFL tear. With an airsplint, that can be worn while wearing a shoe, one might get enough lateral ankle support to play with a TFL tear. The next game is in 21 days. I suggest a wait and see approach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If someone tore his syndesmosis, the membrane that holds the fibula and tibia together than the ankle would be very unstable since the distal fibula is the lateral ankle bone and the distal tibia is the medial malleolus of the ankle. A syndemosis tear can be repaired with screws (the traditional method) or, as you correctly pointed out, by the tightrope procedure. Presumably Jalen had a syndesmosis tear that needed stabilization. Tua, however, might have a totally different type of injury that does not require wires or screws in order to stabilize the ankle. An MRI report and an orthopedic consultant's report would contain relevant facts in order to make a prognosis as to when the player may return to playing form. The coach said he might be able to play in a couple of weeks. I saw the way his ankle rolled and that mechanism often causes a TFL tear. With an airsplint, that can be worn while wearing a shoe, one might get enough lateral ankle support to play with a TFL tear. The next game is in 21 days. I suggest a wait and see approach.
Thank you. Since we know that he had some sort of surgery, what might that be if not Tightrope?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We are not criticizing you. Maybe you can help us understand what we should be thinking about here. Teach us. We know that you have experience here.
Yeah, no one criticizing. Confused by your posts about SDS without any context. Would have been nice to have the explanation upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
One or more possible reasons to scope a sprained ankle:
1) diagnosis (seeing with your eyes is different than looking at MRI images)
2) if debris is seen --such as torn cartilage or bone chips--it can be removed
3) a torn liagment can be repaired

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Cubswin,
Since Saban is a coach and not an doctor that is the terminology he used. I picked one of several articles about what coach said because the quote is the same whichever source I linked but it was at the top of results. Go watch the video to see for yourself what he said if you like. Since no one from the medical staff has spoken on the issue we only have his word to go on and he isn't going to talk about TFL's and AITFL's or even PTFL's and is going to use colloquial terms instead. Few here would get those terms or fully understand their significance anyway. Speaking in layman's terms to laymen is not a sin. Everyone here admits that there is a lot of guessing going on as to the exact nature of the injury and procedure. Thanks for your input, though.
NT17

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Those of us who have had a high ankle sprain can attest that they are horribly painful. I personally don’t see how he played anymore at all. I couldn’t stand on mine. I literally crawled out of the REC center to my car and had crutches for 2 weeks and then hobbled another 2. I thought CNS should have put Jalen in then. I don’t make 11 million but it all worked out. I’ll just say we are blessed, truly blessed if Tua cannot go to have Jalen!!! Like CNS, “We can win with both guys!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Tua ankle which one or both?

Not sure about the first, but the second makes plenty of sense now. He was late and behind Waddle. He's previously hit him over the shoulder on that pass.

Another one that makes more sense now is the pass Irv dropped. Tua doesn't underthrow guys like that. While Irv should have caught the ball, Tua has hit guys in stride all season on that.
Being at the game, I can assure you that we had RBs running absolutely uncovered out of the backfield all night. Yet Tua rarely targeted them. Kirby made a decision to not allow the deep downfield throws and he left the RBs totally unaccounted for. We have to incorporate the RBs back into the passing game.

My fear is that OU will do this too and our LBs are not the best in covering in space. I don’t know if it wouldn’t be worth trying to play defense with a limited use of Lbs and opt for more safety type players in the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
One or more possible reasons to scope a sprained ankle:
1) diagnosis (seeing with your eyes is different than looking at MRI images)
2) if debris is seen --such as torn cartilage or bone chips--it can be removed
3) a torn liagment can be repaired
Saban said at Bama all high ankle sprains are scoped.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Cubswin,
Since Saban is a coach and not an doctor that is the terminology he used. I picked one of several articles about what coach said because the quote is the same whichever source I linked but it was at the top of results. Go watch the video to see for yourself what he said if you like. Since no one from the medical staff has spoken on the issue we only have his word to go on and he isn't going to talk about TFL's and AITFL's or even PTFL's and is going to use colloquial terms instead. Few here would get those terms or fully understand their significance anyway. Speaking in layman's terms to laymen is not a sin. Everyone here admits that there is a lot of guessing going on as to the exact nature of the injury and procedure. Thanks for your input, though.
NT17
Parsing what little we have, I don't remember his being as optimistic as two weeks with Jalen. Of course, it could just be coach speak...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Parsing what little we have, I don't remember his being as optimistic as two weeks with Jalen. Of course, it could just be coach speak...
A coworker today told me that Tua could have his leg amputated and Coach Saban would say that his leg was fine and he could've come back and played if needed. :tongue:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I had a high ankle sprain 30 years ago. It wasn’t 2 weeeks , it was more like 4 or 5. Of course we have made huge advancements in sports medicine since then. My biggest thing is the long term affects of this injury. My ankle is a little unstable and more easily rolled than the other ankle. Also, there is less range of motion And the ankle is noticeably bigger.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think you're a smart guy, but i LOATHE that opinion. Remember in 2004 when they didnt give adrian peterson the heisman because "hes a fresman. he'll probably win 2 more" and then he didnt even go back to new york? or when tebow robbed mcfadden as a sophomore and everyone thought mcfadden would win the next one?
Not often but it happens from time to time. Just in the last 30 years it’s only happened to 7 people who finished in the top ten.

1989- Ty Detmer finished 9th
1992- Charlie Ward finished 6th
1995- Danny Wuerffel finished 3rd
1997- Ricky Williams finished 5th
2003- Matt Leinart finished 6th
2004- Reggie Bush finished 5th
2016- Baker Mayfield finished 3rd

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.