Poll: Clemson vs. Notre Dame ...Who ya got?

Clemson vs. Notre Dame

• Clemson

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I’ll take ND and the points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Can't say that I care much how this game turns out but that said I think Clemson has too much speed for Notre Dame to handle. So far as the score is concerned I look for something along the lines of our game with them back in January 2013.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I don't think Clemson has really played anybody. They struggled some with both South Carolina and Texas A&M. We don't know who they are until they get smacked. I like Dabo and he is one hell of a coach.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
ND barely survived Pitt 19-14. Clemson completely owned Pitt. Clemson just has way more good athletes than ND.
I can play that game.

Notre Dame 36 Syracuse 3 (road)
Clemson 27 Syacuse 23 (home)

Therefore.....Notre Dame >>>>>>> Clemson.

Both blew out FSU, though Clemson did it by 20 more points and on the road.
Notre Dame's game with Pitt was AFTER playing TWO consecutive ranked foes (one on the road) and winning.
Clemson's game with Pitt was right after Pitt got blown out by Miami.

Both blew out Wake Forest, again Clemson by more (60 vs 29).

Notre Dame beat four ranked teams at the time of the game to Clemson's two.

Now.....I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. But using one data point for dogmatism is not a good place to start.

Alabama had much more trouble with Georgia than LSU did.

Doesn't this mean LSU >>>>>> Alabama? Of course not.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
No one in the history of the college football playoffs has had an easier road to the final game than Clemson this year. They will skull drag a vastly overrated Notre Dame team only to get skull dragged by Bama in the finals.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Actually, I think this Clempson team is better than the 2016 team! I have two life long friends on the staff that have been with Dabo since he became the head coach and both of them say this team is similar but better...more athletes at WR and RB...Williams was there only really elite WR and Gallman was not elite. A generation QB that has already broken Watson's h.s. and clempson records...the D is for sure better and the Oline is for sure better...these are there words not mine! Clemson 41 ND 10

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
JBama...you need to do more homework! Lawerence went out early in that game with cuse-injured! Here's the common opponent you need to look at...Pittsburgh. ND beat pitt 19 to 14...clempson beat pitt 42-10...pitt coach was asked after the game who is better ND or Clempson and he said their is NO comparison bettween the two teams...that CU is a way better team.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Rather than think about how ND and Clemson did against common opponents I keep thinking about how ND barely beat Ball State and Vandy on consecutive weeks at home. I certainly think Clemson would have beaten those teams far worse, especially if those games were played at Clemson although I have no way to prove it. ND's final game against a USC squad that was 5-6 at the time was unimpressive also. Clemson was almost upset at Texas A&M but it's quite possible ND would have lost such a game at Kyle Field.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Actually, I think this Clempson team is better than the 2016 team! I have two life long friends on the staff that have been with Dabo since he became the head coach and both of them say this team is similar but better...more athletes at WR and RB...Williams was there only really elite WR and Gallman was not elite. A generation QB that has already broken Watson's h.s. and clempson records...the D is for sure better and the Oline is for sure better...these are there words not mine! Clemson 41 ND 10

I think you underestimate the 2026 Clemson WR corp and/or overestimate the current group. Leggett (TE), Williams, Cain, McCloud, & Scott all in nfl this season, and no WR on current roster is in the same category as Williams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think you underestimate the 2016 Clemson WR corp and/or overestimate the current group. Leggett (TE), Williams, Cain, McCloud, & Scott all in nfl this season, and no WR on current roster is in the same category as Williams.
Alo, Watson was a senior and completely NFL ready. Alabama played against an NFL QB that night, and that was the difference. Lawrence may get there someday - maybe - but he is not there yet.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the vast minority of those who really keep up with how other Top teams from around the country are playing.

ND 2018 > ND 2012 by a wide margin. They may or may not be the least talented team in the CFP field but they aren't pretenders.

They have been a completely different team since Ian Book took the QB job from Wimbush.

Since then ND is averaging 37.2 PPG which would be around 17th in the NCAA in Scoring Offense.

They are 9th in Scoring Defense giving up only 17.3 PPG.

They finished the year with wins over 3 Top 25 teams plus and 8-4 Stanford team.

Clemson is ranked 5th in Scoring Offense at 45.4 PPG and they are 2nd in Scoring Defense giving up only 13.7 PPG

They finished the year with wins over 2 Top 25 Teams and a 9-3 NC State.

They had several common opponents and Clemson won by larger margins in all but the Syracuse game but Pitt was the only opponent that ND didn't blow out too.

The QB battle is particularly interesting.

Ian Book is 197 for 280 (70.4%) for 2,468 yards (274.4 YPG) and 19 TD's to 6 INT's in 9 Games

Sunshine is 212 for 326 (65%) for 2,606 yards (200.5 YPG) and 24 TD's to 4 INT's in 13 Games

Then there is also a couple Top flight RB's in the game for each team:

ND has Dexter Williams who has 142 carries for 941 Yards (6.63 YPC) (117.63 YPG) and 12 TD's in only EIGHT games

Clemson counters with Travis Etienne who has 176 carries for 1,463 yards (8.31YPC) (112.54 YPG) and 19 TD's in 13 games.

I mean I agree that Clemson will most likely win by 2 scores. But ND is not a chump just because there is a separation between the two.

Both Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above ND and OU with respect to being complete well rounded teams full of talent with no glaring weakness.

But jmho I actually think ND is better than OU and the committee ranked the 4 teams exactly right. Vegas even has our Line over OU larger than Clemson's line over ND.

I mean we have 3 Teams in the Top 20 in Scoring Offense AND Top 10 in Scoring Defense......

.....and then 1 Team Top 20 in Scoring Offense and Top 96 in Scoring Defense.... NINETY-SIX.

One of these teams is not like the others and it's not Notre Dame.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.