Bama's prevent defense

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
[FONT=&quot]Saturday night was one of the few times I've actually enjoyed watching a team play a prevent defense (rushing 3, dropping 8 into coverage) on Georgia's last drive. I thought we ran it to perfection. Big kudos to Jennings, Ray, Buggs, and company for getting excellent pressure on Fromm with only 3 guys.[/FONT]

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Also: everyone did their jobs. DBs and safeties did not try to intercept on either of those plays, they swatted the ball just as hard as they could. No heroics, no stats, just get the ball on the ground.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I concur with the OP. The prevent defense did an outstanding job. I was concerned UGA would simply get lucky on a tipped ball. On the final hail mary, the ball was in the air long enough for our defenders to get in place and put a good hit on the ball to put it out of play. Great team effort there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
[FONT="]Saturday night was one of the few times I've actually enjoyed watching a team play a prevent defense (rushing 3, dropping 8 into coverage) on Georgia's last drive. I thought we ran it to perfection. Big kudos to Jennings, Ray, Buggs, and company for getting excellent pressure on Fromm with only 3 guys.[/FONT]
the three man rush flushed him out of the pocket on that last play. buggs was like the tasmanian devil coming off of the line.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Often the prevent defense prevents you from winning. But, we ran it to perfection. Good pressure up front with the backside keeping everything in front of them. Good work fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The "prevent" works if the three up front get pressure. You get shredded like cheese if they don't. That seems to be the key to it working or not.
This is true, which is why I've wondered why teams don't rush four if they can't get pressure with three. Applying pressure and altering the throw/throws seems to be more effective than just letting the QB stand back there and direct traffic like Murray was able to do against Texas the other day. Of course, I don't know if that was the Longhorns' prevent defense or just their regular defense. :smile:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm never a fan of prevent defenses. It worked out because Georgia didn't have enough time to exploit it. If Georgia had another 30 seconds who knows? Also, we were up by 7 so the worst case would have been OT. Sometimes I see teams try a prevent defense when they have less than a 7 point lead which makes no sense at all.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
imo I don't think it's what I call prevent till the last 2 plays. I could be wrong wrong, but I thought prevent the defense doesn't care about the short passes and drops back deep. I recall, and I won't swear to it, that we seemed to be covering balanced. guess I need to rewatch...if my heart can stand it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Most times I cringe when I see a prevent D. Esspecally when your regular D has been taking care of business. But we executed it to perfection.

Just want to give a shout out to Shyeim Carter covering Ridley (I think) on that 3rd down play before the fake punt. If he didn't get his hand in there and knock the ball out of bounds, we could have been playing in OT or worse.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
The "prevent" works if the three up front get pressure. You get shredded like cheese if they don't. That seems to be the key to it working or not.
That was the whole thing. The three guys rushing were getting there. I remember 2012 when Georgia got the ball back and we went to a three man rush. We weren't getting there then and Georgia went right down the field. Luckily the clock ran out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That and when you don't have a big running threat to escape the pocket.
That's what I've been thinking this whole thread. Fromm was not a credible running threat. OTOH, Fields is clearly not up to handling an elite defense yet. If it had been Jalen back there, he could have given us fits...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's what I've been thinking this whole thread. Fromm was not a credible running threat. OTOH, Fields is clearly not up to handling an elite defense yet. If it had been Jalen back there, he could have given us fits...
Thinking ahead...a prevent against Murray with 3 rushers probably won't work for this very reason. We'll almost surely have to spy him the whole game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thinking ahead...a prevent against Murray with 3 rushers probably won't work for this very reason. We'll almost surely have to spy him the whole game.
You rushed 3, but on most plays you had a LB stay in close to the LOS. Only on the hail mary passes did you not do that.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The defensive backfield has steadily improved throughout the year and the coverage was there throughout the second half. They did a really good job late in the game.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.