Conference Championship Games HAVE TO GO!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
1981 co-champs ... Bama,Georgia.
1988 ... Auburn, LSU
1989 ... Bama, Auburn, Tennessee

Your 10 team conference doesn’t always produce a champion. There are a lot more examples than the ones I posted above. Those are just from the 80’s.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
1981 co-champs ... Bama,Georgia.
1988 ... Auburn, LSU
1989 ... Bama, Auburn, Tennessee

Your 10 team conference doesn’t always produce a champion. There are a lot more examples than the ones I posted above. Those are just from the 80’s.
True, but with a 12 game regular season, it would not be hard to have all member schools play each other and set tie breaker rules if you have three 8-1 records where team A beats team B who beat team C who beat team A.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
On the elimination of conference championships, it seems utterly ridiculous to do away with these games out of fear that it might eliminate us from the playoffs. While we are at it, let's get rid of the Auburn game as well. We've lost that game too many times recently in seasons where we were undefeated going into it. If you take away the competitive aspect of college football then what are you left with? What makes it even more absurd is that we have made the playoffs every year, and only this year faced an SEC East team capable of knocking us out of the playoff.

On playoff expansion, I hope we never see it. You know what we aren't arguing about today? We aren't arguing over whether it should have been us, Clemson or ND in the BCS championship, which is exactly what the playoff was designed to eliminate, the 2 v 3 argument. Could you imagine if that was the case? Instead we are arguing over whether it should have Oklahoma, UGA or Ohio St. All very good teams, but each did something that left them at the mercy of the committee to decide their fate.

We are also not arguing today over whether it should have been 3 loss Washington or LSU for the final spot in the playoff. Two teams that have no business even entertaining the notion that they could be national champions if things go their way.

I think the playoffs and championship games are perfect as they are with the exception that Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference or not be included. That's also my personal bias of being genuinely mean spirited towards Notre Dame.
These are very good points with which I agree.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I agree with the OP. I would not give an automatic birth to the P5 champions. 1st it would be hard to determine who is conference champ when you have two or more teams with the same record, 2nd, the conference champ may have several non conference losses and ranked low. Have a committee select 1 through 8 and the top four play the first round at home the week after the regular season. What did we learn by watching Clemson and tOSU play unranked teams Saturday?

And the level of SECCG attendance is not repeated everywhere.

"The Huskies earned their Rose Bowl berth, but a Pac-12 championship game played in front of a half-empty Levi's Stadium did nothing to improve the conference's perception nationally."
You give an automatic birth to power 5 champs with a caveat that they must be ranked a minimum level (say top 10 or top 12). This prevents a "bad" conference champ from making cfp. That said, this year Washington finished 9th in final cfp poll so even with a top 10 caveat they would be in an 8-team playoff.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You know the problem is that college football is organized completely differently than the NFL. The NFL controls all the teams. It is a business, which franchises bound together and run the same way. They can move teams around to different divisions and reorganize their schedules and post seasons as they see fit. College football is far less organized, and is made up of many universities each run by presidents and boards of trustees. Yes they elect to come together in the form of conferences and the ncaa, but in the end, they are all independent Universities run by their presidents. So we can't neatly organize conferences into equal numbers with equal schedules. We have to make the best of what we've got.

To whoever said the SEC game isn't a tradition because it was only started in 1992, good Lord that was 26 years ago. A car made back then can now be registered as an antique. It's a tradition.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The more I read this thread the more it comes across like "How can we make every game really entertaining, making it that much more difficult for Bama to make it through unscathed?"

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
True, but with a 12 game regular season, it would not be hard to have all member schools play each other and set tie breaker rules if you have three 8-1 records where team A beats team B who beat team C who beat team A.
But that tie breaker just doesn’t feel the same as watching your team standing on stage on national TV and having the SEC commissioner hand the SEC Championship trophy to your smiling coach and teammates immediately after vanquishing your foe. There are T shirts and ball caps and your girlfriend may have a little something for you after the shower.

Tie breaker? Seriously, you want to trade all this so Joe Fan can watch tOSU beat ND? My friend, we are just going to have agree to disagree. :cheers2:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Every team pretty much played every other team because there were only 10 teams. Can't do that with 14 teams.
Actually not true for SEC. Teams played a 7-game schedule prior to 92, except for a period after GT left SEC when UGA was allowed to only play 6 conference games because they had GT each year. 92 was first year SEC schedule expanded to 8-teams. I believe they just had co-champs when a tie, but used a series of tie-breakers to determine Sugar Bowl representative. SECCG is a better method to determine SEC champ than how it was done before 92 IMO.

Why couldn't they keep title game and go to 11-game regular season with a 12th game pairing SEC teams based on seeding after SECCG teams selected? SEC could do its best to match up teams that did not meet in regular season. Could pre-determine which teams hosts, but not assign opponent until after SECCG teams selected. Do this for all conferences, then add a round of playoffs (8-teams) and you really haven't expanded the schedule for teams playing in a conference championship game.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
You know the problem is that college football is organized completely differently than the NFL. The NFL controls all the teams. It is a business, which franchises bound together and run the same way. They can move teams around to different divisions and reorganize their schedules and post seasons as they see fit. College football is far less organized, and is made up of many universities each run by presidents and boards of trustees. Yes they elect to come together in the form of conferences and the ncaa, but in the end, they are all independent Universities run by their presidents. So we can't neatly organize conferences into equal numbers with equal schedules. We have to make the best of what we've got.

To whoever said the SEC game isn't a tradition because it was only started in 1992, good Lord that was 26 years ago. A car made back then can now be registered as an antique. It's a tradition.
You're right. It would not be fair to take from Ole Miss the tradition of playing in the the SECCG year in and year out. :biggrin2:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Maybe you forget that most of the last 10 years had an SECe team that was a joke.
While it has been true of the division as a whole, the perception regarding the winner has for the most part has been a myth. 4 of the last 11 years have been just good teams, the other 7 have been very good to great. And 2 of the "only good" 4 had won 10 games entering the CCG, one had won 9 and the other had won only 8 but that was because a cupcake had been cancelled due to weather and wasn't made up. 3 losses were had by only 2 teams. There were no Pitts or NWs ever or Washs or Utahs in 9 of the 11 years, in terms of w-l records anyway. 6, over half, were ranked in the top 6. All 11 had 3 losses or less, 9 were 10-2 or better, 6 were 11-1 or better, one was 12-0.

2008: UF, ranked #2
2009: UF, 1
2010: USCe, 19
2011: UGA, 12
2012: UGA, 3
2013: Mizz, 5
2014: Mizz, 14
2015: UF, 18
2016: UF, 15
2017: UGA, 6
2018: UGA, 4

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I love the SECCG and don't want to lose it.

I mean I get that the main prize and expectation is the National Title but the SEC Title is still very prestigious and probably tougher to win now that Ties/Co-Champions no longer exist.

We are 8-4 All-Time in SECCG's and 6-1 under CNS winning the last 6 straight times we've played for it.

There have been some absolute CLASSIC moments for us.

1992 - Alabama 28 Florida 21 (Langham Pick 6)
1999 - Alabama 34 Florida 7 (Milons/Grimes/Beat CSS Twice)
2008 - Alabama 20 Florida 31 (Serving Notice - 1 Year Away from Prime-time)
2009 - Alabama 32 Florida 13 (We're BACK!!! UF Dynasty Over)
2012 - Alabama 32 UGA 28 (AJ to Coop, Ripped out UGA's Heart Part I)
2015 and 2016 - Destroy Florida and finally take the HTH lead 5-4
2018 - Alabama 35 UGA 28 (Jalen Redemption, Ripped out UGA's Heart Part III)

Good Times have been had!!!!
I agree. That one we lost to Florida 24-23 back in the mid-90s was also a doozy.

While the conferences won't budge as long as there is more money for them in the conference championship system, I think the idea of expanding the playoffs to 8 teams and losing all the CCGs is a bad idea on the merits. How is watching UCF get blown up at BDS an upgrade from the SECCG that we just witnessed?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.