If Georgia Doesn't Lose to L8U....

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
....are they in the CFP? I think maybe they are. Staying that close to Alabama and losing in the fashion they did, I think it was the L8U loss that did them in. Without that loss, they may have entered the SECCG at #2 or #3, giving the committee the chance to drop them to #4. Hard to say, as a rematch of the last game that both teams played would be a bitter pill for many on the committee to swallow. Last year was tough enough for them, but at least the 2 teams from the same conference had not already played.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
They would be in ... if they didn't lose to LSU they would have been ranked 2nd going into the SEC championship. They would have had better quality wins vs Clemson. They wouldn't have dropped further than 4th IMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll go even further and say if they just keep that game close and don't get blown out, they are likely in. LSU is a good team, not a great team, and shouldn't have been able to do that to Georgia whether the game was in Baton Rouge or not.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes, I think so. One loss to the #1 team by a razor slim margin would have put UGA into the playoff. They lost out when they got ran out of Red Stick.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As I told a guy at work this morning as he made it a point to come by my office and say "Y'all should have lost". There's no statistic for "Should have lost" just like there's no statistic for "Should have won" or "If they would have won." There's just W, L and the kissing your sister Tie. That's it.

Georgia has a very good football team and has ascended very fast in the last few years. But they are realizing that the difference between being champions and "should have beens" is razor thin.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As I told a guy at work this morning as he made it a point to come by my office and say "Y'all should have lost". There's no statistic for "Should have lost" just like there's no statistic for "Should have won" or "If they would have won." There's just W, L and the kissing your sister Tie. That's it.

Georgia has a very good football team and has ascended very fast in the last few years. But they are realizing that the difference between being champions and "should have beens" is razor thin.
I'm so glad there are no Georgia people in my life.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I'm so glad there are no Georgia people in my life.
I'm enormously happy that the one Georgia person who used to be in my life is long gone, and that statement has nothing to do with football! :biggrin: As Roy Clark sang so well, "Thank God and Greyhound, She's Gone!"

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
....are they in the CFP? I think maybe they are. Staying that close to Alabama and losing in the fashion they did, I think it was the L8U loss that did them in. Without that loss, they may have entered the SECCG at #2 or #3, giving the committee the chance to drop them to #4. Hard to say, as a rematch of the last game that both teams played would be a bitter pill for many on the committee to swallow. Last year was tough enough for them, but at least the 2 teams from the same conference had not already played.
If they had beaten LSU as much as we had, they could have possibly been #1 going into the SECCG.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'll go one step further -- if UGA beats LSU -- LSU backs off of some of the unnecessary "emotional" play because they would be ranked lower, and Tua likely doesn't get hurt (as bad) --

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
If they had been unbeaten and played us as close as they did, we would have 2 SEC teams in for the 2nd year in a row and college football would be melting down. In my opinion in this scenario, ND should be left out. If they want in, they need to get in a conference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No they don’t get in. I think everyone wants to make 2017 selection be the gospel truth, but that was 2007 like scenario. It’s not “the 4 best teams” getting in.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They would probably have gotten in. They lost by 20 to L8U in Death Valley. Add to this that we beat them 29-0 in the same stadium and you have your reason as to why they did not get in.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Had they not lost to LSU the rankings going into Saturday would’ve looked like this.

1. UA
2 UGA
3. Clemson
4. ND
5. Oklahoma
6. TOSU

With Saturday’s result we know these rankings for sure

1. UA
2. Clemson
3. ND

UGA would still be in a tiebreaker with OU, and the top criteria point of the CFP is “conference champion”. It’s one reason I’ve never bought into Bama was in regardless.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Had they not lost to LSU the rankings going into Saturday would’ve looked like this.

1. UA
2 UGA
3. Clemson
4. ND
5. Oklahoma
6. TOSU

With Saturday’s result we know these rankings for sure

1. UA
2. Clemson
3. ND

UGA would still be in a tiebreaker with OU, and the top criteria point of the CFP is “conference champion”. It’s one reason I’ve never bought into Bama was in regardless.
It would not have been a tie, so the tie breaker would not have been applied.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.