Link: Urban Meyer to step down as tOSU Head Coach; OC Ryan Day Named HC

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Urban Meyer to step down as tOSU Head Coach

The plan when he was hired as OC was to have him replace Meyer one day. Meyer said then that Day was a better version of himself. The only surprise is that it happened so soon.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

He says that it's a health thing...
His head is pounding and his ears ring...
It's time for him to go 'cause that's just another lie...

I heard it from a friend who-who
Heard it from a friend who-who
Heard it from another
Urban Meyer is gone

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This was no more expected than Bama winning another NC under CNS.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Miss Terry looking at houses in Columbus last night. I guess it’s pretty serious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Simone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It was him or the president - one of them had to go after the way things went down in the off-season.
Yep - I said that before they even had the presser.

But if Day fails, Drake is gone. The BOT will blame him for running off Meyer. And Drake is exactly what OSU needs right now. So, for many reasons, I hope that Day has success.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I lost all respect for Urban the way he left Florida. I haven't been following the details of what he's being criticized for at Ohio State, although I'm certain the criticism is valid.

I don't know whether I'm mellowing out a little, or feeling generous towards the Ohio State program after the interaction with B1G over the years, or whatever. I find my hostility towards Urban has shrunk and I feel kinda sad that he can't find a place where he's comfortable enough to settle in for the long haul.

Then I pinch myself, "you are actually sorry for a multimillionaire who likely doesn't need to work ever again? Maybe if he wasn't such a head case or would try to do things the right way things would work out better for him."

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

I consider him to be the 2nd best coach currently in the game. Aside from the weirdo blowout losses each of the past two years, I don't think anyone could argue with what he has done there. And 3 combined national titles at two different schools. He will be missed by OSU, but not the rest of us. I hope his health improves and he lives a wonderful, fulfilling, long life.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Ryan Day gets the promotion, which isn't a surprise after the news last week they were working to make sure he was locked in for several years to prevent schools from contacting him.

The most surprising thing about this is Urban actually following through with it.
Still time to pull one of these:

:D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Something to watch moving forward is how the early signing period affects coaching searches.
I suspect this is why the announcement was made today. Ease any concerns recruits and/or parents might have from the rumor rumblings by other coaches.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Remember the good old days when journalists used to wait until something actually happened before reporting on it?
You must be referring to the days when type had to be set for the printing press! :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I suspect this is why the announcement was made today. Ease any concerns recruits and/or parents might have from the rumor rumblings by other coaches.
Yep - the negative recruiting was in full swing, leveraging the "No Comment" made by Meyer. Coaches have been all over that with recruits, saying that Meyer was gone and that they would wait until after the bowl games to announce it.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN

So with a Urban gone next year Saban will double the # of NC of all the other active coaches combined. Saban 6 ( or 7), Dabo 1, Jimbo 1, and Les 1.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

My guess: Urban Meyer will be the USC HC in 2020. This is less about his health, which he can manage, and more about his arrogance being so overwhelming that he can't accept that he was suspended for 3 games when he ought to have been fired with cause.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

My guess: Urban Meyer will be the USC HC in 2020. This is less about his health, which he can manage, and more about his arrogance being so overwhelming that he can't accept that he was suspended for 3 games when he ought to have been fired with cause.
Well, that'd be one way USC stops going after anyone with a connection to Pete Carroll...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

If Brian Kelly leaves ND for tOSU as suggested earlier, Urban Meyer will be in South Bend before Kelly can get to Columbus.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

You may be right on that one. What's funny to me is that Urban left Utah in a mess. Left Florida in a mess. Now tOSU in a mess. Truly a "sell your soul to the Devil" type situation again and again.
A slicker, more successful Petrino.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.