What is Deonte Browns injury status

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It's been overshadowed by Tua's injury, but I'm pretty sure Deonte Brown had to go out and was replaced by Cotton. Has anyone heard anything about his injury status? Having him healthy and ready to maul some sooners would also be a big benefit to the run game...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It's been overshadowed by Tua's injury, but I'm pretty sure Deonte Brown had to go out and was replaced by Cotton. Has anyone heard anything about his injury status? Having him healthy and ready to maul some sooners would also be a big benefit to the run game...
No offense by any means to Tua, but that`s the one injury I`d really like to know more about as far as status is concerned. Turf toe is a female dog and I hope he`s able to go on the 29th. Kind of funny. They showed a couple of players making snow angels in the confetti after the game and he was one of them. Would love to be able to read into that as far as his condition is concerned! Somebody in another post opined that the reason he came out is because we needed to throw and Cotton is a better pass blocker. I would love for that to be the case!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He came back in several times and was in at the end of the game, so I suspect that he is no worse off than he was before the GA game. The rest will help with the inflammation, but this will not heal until the off-season, if then.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He came back in several times and was in at the end of the game, so I suspect that he is no worse off than he was before the GA game. The rest will help with the inflammation, but this will not heal until the off-season, if then.
my guess is he can tolerate it consistently for about a half....then he is good for a short burst

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Turf toe is nasty. Didn’t Eddie Lacy have a real bad bout with it?
A lot depends on the degree of the injury, and I’m told Lacy’s was a bad one. They bought a $200K machine specifically for him to rehab prior to the NCG in Miami against Notre Dame. I was told there was no way he would have been anywhere near as effective that night had it not been for that machine.

That was six years ago, so hopefully there have been advances. We’re not the same OL without Brown in there.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That`s great to know B1G, thanks. Heartening, at least, because I was under the impression that he never came back in. He`ll be able to have at least an extended stretch to rest it and get whatever treatments you do for turf toe (?). I know it`s only truly addressed over a long period.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think Alabama could be just as effective against Oklahoma with Lester Cotton. Clemson is a different story, though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Alabama could be just as effective against Oklahoma with Lester Cotton. Clemson is a different story, though.
I disagree - Cotton has struggled in run blocking in every game, including those with weaker d-lines. He is great at pass blocking, which probably won him the job early in the season, but his run blocking is a problem.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I disagree - Cotton has struggled in run blocking in every game, including those with weaker d-lines. He is great at pass blocking, which probably won him the job early in the season, but his run blocking is a problem.
Well hopefully Brown gets a lot of rest and rehab over the next few weeks. Our team was mentally and physically drained in the Georgia game, IMO.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree. You would think that we have enough offensive linemen that several of them would be interchangeable, but he definitely seems to make a difference in the running game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'd add a little to this - Cotton is great at 1-1 pass blocking when the defense doesn't stunt or twist. IOW, when the DT is right on him or shaded to either shoulder and he can get on him quick, he does a great job. If Cotton has to pop a DT, then pass him off and pick someone else up, or if the DT twists out and an LB or DE comes in and it makes Cotton have to drop a bit deeper into the pocket pre-contact with the defensive player, he doesn't do nearly as well. Honestly it's the same in pass blocking. on the few plays we have where he blocks straight up he does ok, it's when he has to execute any type or combo or reach that the timing and execution just is not there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.