Link: Golding rebuffed offers by OM, interest from OU; will stay at Bama

TideNMetairie

Sep 30, 2011
SIAP, but what is the latest on Gattis? Saw a premium article on BOL giving an update.
From Tim Watts on Gattis: [FONT=&quot]I just spoke to multiple sources, from several different camps, saying the report that Josh Gattis is taking the job as Maryland's OC is premature and not true. Gattis is currently on the road recruiting with Nick Saban. We are aware of the report that came out recently but we have spoke to sources close to Gattis and Alabama who said not true. Again he is with Saban out recruiting which wouldn't be the case if he had already accepted the OC position.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]We have been told all week that Gattis was expected to stay and that Saban has spoke to him about his future at Alabama and the sources close to Gattis said his plan was to stay.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's coaching so that could change and we are aware of how fluid these situations can be, but as of right now Nick Saban is expecting Gattis to stay on the Alabama staff for next season, per multiple sources.[/FONT]

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I would much rather be a DC in the SEC than in the Big 12. He will get defensive talent to coach at Ole Miss.
They're going to be hamstrung by the sanctions over the next few years so I'm not sure how good Ole Miss can be for the foreseeable future. They were straight trash this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They're going to be hamstrung by the sanctions over the next few years so I'm not sure how good Ole Miss can be for the foreseeable future. They were straight trash this year.
I get that but, IMO, he would be more hamstrung at OU than at Ole Miss, even with the sanctions.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Golding is in the best spot he could be to learn how a successful program is run and increase his defensive knowledge. Based on recent raids of Bama coaching staff he has a decent chance to ascend to the DC. Patience to stay the course of a well developed plan can pay tremendous results. The lure of being a DC in the SEC might be enticing but how much grace will be extended to Coach Luke to allow him to deliver results??

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Golding is in the best spot he could be to learn how a successful program is run and increase his defensive knowledge. Based on recent raids of Bama coaching staff he has a decent chance to ascend to the DC. Patience to stay the course of a well developed plan can pay tremendous results. The lure of being a DC in the SEC might be enticing but how much grace will be extended to Coach Luke to allow him to deliver results??
Working Saban isn’t for everyone. Not saying that’s the case with Pete, but some guys just don’t like the stress, time, and everything that comes with working for Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Working Saban isn’t for everyone. Not saying that’s the case with Pete, but some guys just don’t like the stress, time, and everything that comes with working for Saban.

True ... as they say, it pays the cost to be the boss

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Right on there not to mention that $$$ motivates...at least, it does for me. Pete has already enjoyed great success at his age and he may figure that he wants to run his own show. I mean, yea he is working for a living legend but maybe he see's his own legend in the making someday starting with a bold move. But then again, we only know what Neal is reporting. And I heard old Neal put her down.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This could be a reason for wanting to get out of Tuscaloosa or it could be money, either one is understandable. Otherwise, going to Ole Miss is likely a career ending move due to what others have said, sanctions etc plus it should be obvious that Luke has another year or two at the most. His career prior to coming to Alabama and 1 year under CNS does not make him an SEC level DC.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So how long has PG been at Bama? I’m thinking of CNS’s “requirement” for at least a two year commitment; I’m guessing that’s not a hard and fast rule...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So how long has PG been at Bama? I’m thinking of CNS’s “requirement” for at least a two year commitment; I’m guessing that’s not a hard and fast rule...?
I think that he allows people to leave for a clear promotion. Position coach to OC or DC would be a promotion. Any job to head coach would be a promotion.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think that he allows people to leave for a clear promotion. Position coach to OC or DC would be a promotion. Any job to head coach would be a promotion.
So his position at Bama was ILB coach?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So his position at Bama was ILB coach?
Co-DC and ILB coach, but Tosh is calling the defense, so the co-DC part is more a learning thing. Same with Gattis. He is the Co-OC and WR coach. He did not call plays this year.

Both are involved in the game planning and both are exposed to the play calls (on the headsets, providing input). But neither is actually calling plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.