Link: Golding rebuffed offers by OM, interest from OU; will stay at Bama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Or if Golding has not performed to CNS's expectations and it is easier and less messy than firing him.
True, and the ILB play has been less than spectacular. But I was just pointing out that Saban does allow coaches to leave earlier for promotions.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Golding is still recruiting for Bama so it appears no final deal has been reached. He makes $650K/year and if CNS wants to retain him could be bumped upward although not to the same level as Ole Miss is offering. I know I am in the minority but if Golding really wants to run his own program one day would he benefit more from being with a Legend or Matt Luke? Like all of you I have read about the demands of working for CNS but running a program has the same stresses, long hours and such if you want to be elite. There are no easy buttons to achieve high levels of success in any business. He is considered a rising star but going to Ole Miss with the sanctions and not being able to deliver a good on the field product could greatly diminish his stock.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If he leaves after less than a year on the job even for a promotion it tells me all I need to know. The co-DC arrangement with Tosh is not working for various reasons, he's chasing money, recruiting is not up to expectations, or player development is lacking. Going to OM as a coordinator for money is still not a promotion. He will be out of a job in 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
It's the symptom not the disease. Nick Saban's hard to duplicate because he never takes the easy path. Other coaches talk a good game but will take the easy path if they see it. Every coach in the country when they need to buy themselves some time they fire the oc or dc and then pull up Roll Tide.com and start calling Alabama's assistant coaches. Only when that is exhausted will they actually do the research to find someone.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah - I’ve always wondered how CNS finds this talent and others can’t; they have to take them from him after their “education”.
While they wait on that, they lose.
Tells me all I need to know about their abilities as a HC in college football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If he leaves after less than a year on the job even for a promotion it tells me all I need to know. The co-DC arrangement with Tosh is not working for various reasons, he's chasing money, recruiting is not up to expectations, or player development is lacking. Going to OM as a coordinator for money is still not a promotion. He will be out of a job in 2 years.

I'd be leaving too if I was his age and someone would double my salary.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
True, and the ILB play has been less than spectacular. But I was just pointing out that Saban does allow coaches to leave earlier for promotions.
I was thinking this...our ILB's have not played to the level of the past -- and it is not athletic ability, it is recognition. If I were evaluating their position coach it would not be a passing grade.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Like I get how doubling Nick Saban's salary after a long career of high earnings and wealth management would not necessarily make him leave a good situation. Golding is young. If someone is gonna give him 1.5m a year, he should take that money. He's been such a quick riser in the profession that I doubt he'll be out of work if Ole Miss goes bad.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Golding is still recruiting for Bama so it appears no final deal has been reached. He makes $650K/year and if CNS wants to retain him could be bumped upward although not to the same level as Ole Miss is offering. I know I am in the minority but if Golding really wants to run his own program one day would he benefit more from being with a Legend or Matt Luke? Like all of you I have read about the demands of working for CNS but running a program has the same stresses, long hours and such if you want to be elite. There are no easy buttons to achieve high levels of success in any business. He is considered a rising star but going to Ole Miss with the sanctions and not being able to deliver a good on the field product could greatly diminish his stock.
You are not in the minority and good post. I want him to stay because the guy has proven his ability or wouldn't be here in the first place. I am hoping this is all proven to be inaccurate information and this thread sinks to oblivion over the next few days.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was thinking this...our ILB's have not played to the level of the past -- and it is not athletic ability, it is recognition. If I were evaluating their position coach it would not be a passing grade.
Especially considering that Mack Wilson played better a year ago than this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You are not in the minority and good post. I want him to stay because the guy has proven his ability or wouldn't be here in the first place. I am hoping this is all proven to be inaccurate information and this thread sinks to oblivion over the next few days.
The offer is accurate, but he is still recruiting so I doubt that he has taken it. Sounds like a number of guys at Alabama are about to get big pay bumps.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I’m not sure one can blame Pete for Mack’s lack of production. Dylan Moses was a Butkus finalist, so it’s not like both of Pete’s starters were bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’m not sure one can blame Pete for Mack’s lack of production. Dylan Moses was a Butkus finalist, so it’s not like both of Pete’s starters were bad.
We don't know, but Moses is a physical freak of nature.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Like I get how doubling Nick Saban's salary after a long career of high earnings and wealth management would not necessarily make him leave a good situation. Golding is young. If someone is gonna give him 1.5m a year, he should take that money. He's been such a quick riser in the profession that I doubt he'll be out of work if Ole Miss goes bad.
Dumpster fires usually come with hazard pay. From experience, chasing the money is not always the best decision. Most the time when making a move solely for money you are also risking your reputation too. If he stays it will tell me he is mature enough to see the value of staying involved with our program. Grass is not always greener elsewhere.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mack is too. I'm not going to blame Golding since if his coaching was bad as some claim Saban would not keep him around no matter how good of a recruiter he is.
Moses runs a 4.4 40. Mack runs a 4.59. Mack is great, but he isn't close to Moses, IMO.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Or if Golding has not performed to CNS's expectations and it is easier and less messy than firing him.

Honestly that’s what I’m thinking. Our LB play, while good by most standards, has taken a significant dip this year. They’ve gotten better as the season has progressed, but early on looked completely lost at times, even Mac.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.