Link: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia??

IMG makes all these state by state rankings look a little weird to me, at least at the top. For instance, Nolan Smith, from Savannah, playing at IMG, is now a state of Florida recruit. Same with Bo Scarbrough a few years back.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by jambama1 View Post
    lol I forgot to point out Richt ran and converted a fake punt against us and Kang in 12
    Yep, so much of that game reminds me of 2012. 2012 they were up by double digits too.

BamaNation Second Team

This topic has been discussed at length on the DawgNation message board. Here's how I responded to locking down the state of Georgia.

1. It's impossible. Georgia and Atlanta in particular is transient location, full of transplants from other states and countries. The sons of parents who come from other states will have loyalties to schools not named UGA. You have kids that because of circumstances at home want to get away and go to school in another state.
    2. Scholarships are limited and position groups are finite. The coaching staff may pass on recruiting an in-state player at a certain position, because of the existing depth and other needs.
    3. Some of the kids on this 247Sports list (ex. J.T. Bertrand and Jalen Perry) were at one time UGA commits. They committed early and over time kids in their same position with more perceived talent expressed interest or have silently committed to Georgia. Therefore, kids like Jalen Perry were asked to seek opportunities elsewhere.
    4. Some kids on this list cannot qualify academically.

In short, the state of Georgia has the 3rd highest number of Div. 1 prospects in the country, so there's no way Georgia can land them all.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    This topic has been discussed at length on the DawgNation message board. Here's how I responded to locking down the state of Georgia.

1. It's impossible. Georgia and Atlanta in particular is transient location, full of transplants from other states and countries. The sons of parents who come from other states will have loyalties to schools not named UGA. You have kids that because of circumstances at home want to get away and go to school in another state.
    2. Scholarships are limited and position groups are finite. The coaching staff may pass on recruiting an in-state player at a certain position, because of the existing depth and other needs.
    3. Some of the kids on this 247Sports list (ex. J.T. Bertrand and Jalen Perry) were at one time UGA commits. They committed early and over time kids in their same position with more perceived talent expressed interest or have silently committed to Georgia. Therefore, kids like Jalen Perry were asked to seek opportunities elsewhere.

In short, the state of Georgia has the 3rd highest number of Div. 1 prospects in the country, so there's no way Georgia can land them all.
    Would just add one more reason:

5. Some Georgia kids that UGA wants prefer another program over UGA.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

When people speak of locking down they don't mean getting all the prospects, they mean getting the ones they want every year. Nothing compares to the lockdown of the state of Louisiana pre Saban at Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    When people speak of locking down they don't mean getting all the prospects, they mean getting the ones they want every year. Nothing compares to the lockdown of the state of Louisiana pre Saban at Alabama.

Did anybody of note get out of Louisiana while CNS was there? Maybe, but I bet you could count them on one hand.
    Last edited by RTR91; December 6th, 2018 at 08:56 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Did anybody of note get out of Louisiana while CNS was there? Maybe, but I bet you could count them on one hand.
    Even after Saban it was fairly water tight. I think the levee started leaking with Joe McKnight.

Last edited by RTR91; December 6th, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

And, now, the Cajuns complain that we get their cream of the crop every year. (They still place more than anyone in the NFL.) Mid-game, they bring it up when someone like Surtain makes a play. When I see an Alabama native make a play for an out of state school, and a talking head mention it, I'm likely to say "He's from Alabama?"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

You know, I keep hearing reason #3 from Dawg fans, except I’m not buying it. They have had 5 star players decommit, high 4 star kids. I know recruit rankings are not perfect, but I think they would like to have a few of those kids. Sounds to me like rationalization of why things are not going as expected. The fan base put Kirby on such a high plateau last year with cfbpcg with the killer recruiting class Georgia put together. There has to be a reason , but it can’t be that others are doing better on the recruiting trail, I mean , this is Georgia and Kirby we are talking about. I remember Dawg fans talking last year that it was gonna take Kirby only 2 years to win a title , and It took Nick 3 years.
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    You know, I keep hearing reason #3 from Dawg fans, except I’m not buying it. They have had 5 star players decommit, high 4 star kids. I know recruit rankings are not perfect, but I think they would like to have a few of those kids. Sounds to me like rationalization of why things are not going as expected. The fan base put Kirby on such a high plateau last year with cfbpcg with the killer recruiting class Georgia put together. There has to be a reason , but it can’t be that others are doing better on the recruiting trail, I mean , this is Georgia and Kirby we are talking about. I remember Dawg fans talking last year that it was gonna take Kirby only 2 years to win a title , and It took Nick 3 years.
    Well, it can't be said enough that closeness of the star ratings vs. numbers drafted between show that Nick can both evaluate better than the "experts," and develop better than Kirby. Meyer, when he was at UF, freely admitted that, if CNS offered someone, he got an automatic offer from UF...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Well, it can't be said enough that closeness of the star ratings vs. numbers drafted between show that Nick can both evaluate better than the "experts," and develop better than Kirby. Meyer, when he was at UF, freely admitted that, if CNS offered someone, he got an automatic offer from UF...
    That's a stupid mentality. You should be recruiting to your own needs, not based on another program's offers or the kid's star ratings...

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Even after Saban it was fairly water tight. I think the levee started leaking with Joe McKnight.

McKnight and the school he came from was pretty much anti LSU. but for Alabama, I believe it was Landon Collins live verbal commitment on National TV that really open up the floodgates.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Exactly.