Link: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia??

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
The past three years Kirby has been on fire in recruiting, as it's his best quality vs Richt. Losing Fields and a few others is part of the process. To keep filling up with talent some must move aside.
He has no reason not to compete for undefeated seasons and Championships from now on. While I don't want to lose to UGA I'm anxious to see how they would handle success if, say he has a 2009 (Bama) type championship year and coaches move on and players become less motivated.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The past three years Kirby has been on fire in recruiting, as it's his best quality vs Richt. Losing Fields and a few others is part of the process. To keep filling up with talent some must move aside.
He has no reason not to compete for undefeated seasons and Championships from now on. While I don't want to lose to UGA I'm anxious to see how they would handle success if, say he has a 2009 (Bama) type championship year and coaches move on and players become less motivated.
That's not going to happen until Coach hangs it up....

Next time we play UGA it will be a blow out..... (mark it down! ;))

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
time will tell. but we have seen as well as the rest of the country, that Saban has proven time and time again, he will fill those vacancies more often than not with an upgrade in personal. can Kirby do that?? let's see when they reach the mountain top. its much easier being the hunter than the hunted.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If you go to 247's rankings you can find a lot of information -- especially seeing how many signees and what states they are from. Clemson only signed 1 from SC. UGA signed only 7 from Ga. and AU sits at 4 from Alabama with 2 more firm commitments. We signed 7 from Alabama and then 4 from Florida and 3 each from Maryland and Ga.

Interesting and insightful...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If you go to 247's rankings you can find a lot of information -- especially seeing how many signees and what states they are from. Clemson only signed 1 from SC. UGA signed only 7 from Ga. and AU sits at 4 from Alabama with 2 more firm commitments. We signed 7 from Alabama and then 4 from Florida and 3 each from Maryland and Ga.

Interesting and insightful...
That is interesting. Also, we always sign kids from many states and this year is no different. We currently have kids from 9 different states and that may grow after the late signing period. Truly national recruiting.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
That is interesting. Also, we always sign kids from many states and this year is no different. We currently have kids from 9 different states and that may grow after the late signing period. Truly national recruiting.
Nick Saban started with the strategy of I believe within 250 miles of campus for the first 3-5 years and then expanded that after the brand become national with our exposure.
Kirby will get in trouble taking more kids from out of state because GA is a really great producer of talent and those high school coaches are tight knit. Kirby as implored the Saban national philosophy because UGA was already an establish brand by richt. Kirby is no better than richt im sorry to tell you that dawg fans but you fired one guy for losing the big game and replaced him with the guy that does the same. Richt had us in 12 too. Richt also recruited elite talents like the famed three for the black out game of 08. Now if the playoffs were in 07 richt wins a national title with that team catching fire. If Kirby ever gets fired he will have a hard time finding a job again with the things he's doing on the trail.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Nick Saban started with the strategy of I believe within 250 miles of campus for the first 3-5 years and then expanded that after the brand become national with our exposure.
Kirby will get in trouble taking more kids from out of state because GA is a really great producer of talent and those high school coaches are tight knit. Kirby as implored the Saban national philosophy because UGA was already an establish brand by richt. Kirby is no better than richt im sorry to tell you that dawg fans but you fired one guy for losing the big game and replaced him with the guy that does the same. Richt had us in 12 too. Richt also recruited elite talents like the famed three for the black out game of 08. Now if the playoffs were in 07 richt wins a national title with that team catching fire. If Kirby ever gets fired he will have a hard time finding a job again with the things he's doing on the trail.
Look at the number of kids Pruitt took from like Cobb, Gwinnett, and Atlanta surrounding area. Yeah, some were 3 stars, but if you can build relations there, it's a good area with good kids.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Look at the number of kids Pruitt took from like Cobb, Gwinnett, and Atlanta surrounding area. Yeah, some were 3 stars, but if you can build relations there, it's a good area with good kids.
I agree with this. I'm high on Pruitt, and I think Mullen is going to get the ball rolling at UF as well. Kirby isn't going to have the run of the East for long. He's going to have rivals with real teams. Bama has had to deal with a murder's row of teams in the West for years. Arkansas, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss, A&M, and the Barn have all had top ten or better teams over the last 10 year run. UGA is going to have some competition in recruiting and on the field from UTe and UF within the next two years. I expect UTe and UF to be much improved next year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Jimbo Fisher called Kirby and staff out for the way they went after A&M's QB commit after Fields put his name in the transfer portal saying they gave the kid mis-leading info and lied to him. They are selling their souls on the recruiting trail and it is going to catch up with them soon.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Jimbo Fisher called Kirby and staff out for the way they went after A&M's QB commit after Fields put his name in the transfer portal saying they gave the kid mis-leading info and lied to him. They are selling their souls on the recruiting trail and it is going to catch up with them soon.
Yeah, I heard quite a few A&M fans were pretty hot about that

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think probably the “lock down your state” philosophy of years past of many SEC schools is becoming more the exception than the rule. In the last 10-15 years the SEC in football has become a national brand. Could UGA, UF, or TAMU be competitive nationally by locking down their respective states? Probably. But as CNS expanded beyond the “250 mile radius” to the “best player available and fits for us wherever they maybe” philosophy in the last 6-7 years, almost every SEC program has been forced to more of a national recruiting approach.

Look at this state for example. In years past, Alabama and the Barn dominated a good recruiting base in this state. However, of the 39 players signed between the two schools in the early signing period, only 9 were from the state of Alabama. Yet, LSU, Florida, Clemson, UGA signed good players from this state. (Caveat: we know Auburn is technically West Georgia so we can take the “in state thing” with a grain of salt 😉).

As the top tier SEC programs continually expand to more national recruiting, the rest of the league will look to expand beyond their own borders.

Main point: CNS with five National Championships in nine years has made all the SEC programs “run faster” in terms of national recruiting.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
After looking at some numbers it's a lot closer than I thought in terms of just overall talent between UGA and Bama. Player development is another story but this is the ESPN 300 signees by SEC teams over the last three years. This does not include players committed to sign in February:

Alabama 53
Georgia 52
LSU 34
Florida 29
Auburn 28
Tex A&M 25
Carolina 16
Tenn 16
Miss St 10
Ole Miss 9
Arkansas 5
Kentucky 4
Vandy 3
Missouri 2

Pretty stunning that we have roughly twice as many ESPN 300 recruits as AU and A&M and a really wide gap between us and LSU. UGA is the only team in our class talent wise..

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If I remember Mark Richt's problem was not recruiting...it was putting a tough team on the field who could win close games in the 4th quarter against a quality opponent. When KS arrived in Athens the cupboard was not close to bare...there was plenty of talent. Much, much different than when NS arrived in Tuscaloosa.

I'm not yet on the KS train that he is that great as a coach...a little too emotional, jumpy, bouncy on the sidelines for me....not to mention the questions re recruiting ethics -- these chickens always come home to roost if correct. You can't outrun your character forever...

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=GA

here is the latest after ESD.

this is pretty amazing that 2 out of the Top 10 are signing with Georgia.
3 out of 15 are signing with Georgia.
and finally 5 out of the Top 25 are signing with Georgia.
Haselwood will most likely sign with Oklahoma.

its great that Kirby and his staff can recruit nearby for top talent to replace the ones loss in his backyard, but for the talk about locking down Georgia once he became HC and be put to rest. Dawgbyet and whatever dawg fan on this board can spin it anyway you want to, but the proof is the pudding.
teams far and wide will raid Georgia like its going out of business and Kirby is going to have battles on his hand.
Nothing you said is incorrect. As I mentioned, the state of Georgia has so much talent there's no way we can lock it down. Therefore, there will be programs across the U.S. that raid it for talent. As UGA's brand grows outward from the Southeast region, naturally we'll pick up talent from different parts of the country. Our 2019 recruits reflect that fact. I personally don't care where they come from as long as they're talented and meet our needs.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I think probably the “lock down your state” philosophy of years past of many SEC schools is becoming more the exception than the rule. In the last 10-15 years the SEC in football has become a national brand. Could UGA, UF, or TAMU be competitive nationally by locking down their respective states? Probably. But as CNS expanded beyond the “250 mile radius” to the “best player available and fits for us wherever they maybe” philosophy in the last 6-7 years, almost every SEC program has been forced to more of a national recruiting approach.

Look at this state for example. In years past, Alabama and the Barn dominated a good recruiting base in this state. However, of the 39 players signed between the two schools in the early signing period, only 9 were from the state of Alabama. Yet, LSU, Florida, Clemson, UGA signed good players from this state. (Caveat: we know Auburn is technically West Georgia so we can take the “in state thing” with a grain of salt 😉).

As the top tier SEC programs continually expand to more national recruiting, the rest of the league will look to expand beyond their own borders.

Main point: CNS with five National Championships in nine years has made all the SEC programs “run faster” in terms of national recruiting.
I think this post is on target, although I would phrase things slightly different. I wouldn't say that expanding one's brand forces you to recruit nationally. What it does is generate interest from players across the country. Kirby addressed this in his Wed. presser. He said UGA has interest from kids all across the country. The increased interest provides a larger pool to draw from and affords you the ability to be more selective.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Gonna be interesting to see how Kirby's reputation within the "coaching circle" goes. Sounds like he's already ticking some coaches off. AND, if he's lying to recruits that take the bait (like Fields) then the rumors will really get going.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.