Link: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia?? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia??

If I remember Mark Richt's problem was not recruiting...it was putting a tough team on the field who could win close games in the 4th quarter against a quality opponent. When KS arrived in Athens the cupboard was not close to bare...there was plenty of talent. Much, much different than when NS arrived in Tuscaloosa.

I'm not yet on the KS train that he is that great as a coach...a little too emotional, jumpy, bouncy on the sidelines for me....not to mention the questions re recruiting ethics -- these chickens always come home to roost if correct. You can't outrun your character forever...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Fo...chool&State=GA

here is the latest after ESD.

this is pretty amazing that 2 out of the Top 10 are signing with Georgia.
    3 out of 15 are signing with Georgia.
    and finally 5 out of the Top 25 are signing with Georgia.
    Haselwood will most likely sign with Oklahoma.

its great that Kirby and his staff can recruit nearby for top talent to replace the ones loss in his backyard, but for the talk about locking down Georgia once he became HC and be put to rest. Dawgbyet and whatever dawg fan on this board can spin it anyway you want to, but the proof is the pudding.
    teams far and wide will raid Georgia like its going out of business and Kirby is going to have battles on his hand.
    Nothing you said is incorrect. As I mentioned, the state of Georgia has so much talent there's no way we can lock it down. Therefore, there will be programs across the U.S. that raid it for talent. As UGA's brand grows outward from the Southeast region, naturally we'll pick up talent from different parts of the country. Our 2019 recruits reflect that fact. I personally don't care where they come from as long as they're talented and meet our needs.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I think probably the “lock down your state” philosophy of years past of many SEC schools is becoming more the exception than the rule. In the last 10-15 years the SEC in football has become a national brand. Could UGA, UF, or TAMU be competitive nationally by locking down their respective states? Probably. But as CNS expanded beyond the “250 mile radius” to the “best player available and fits for us wherever they maybe” philosophy in the last 6-7 years, almost every SEC program has been forced to more of a national recruiting approach.

Look at this state for example. In years past, Alabama and the Barn dominated a good recruiting base in this state. However, of the 39 players signed between the two schools in the early signing period, only 9 were from the state of Alabama. Yet, LSU, Florida, Clemson, UGA signed good players from this state. (Caveat: we know Auburn is technically West Georgia so we can take the “in state thing” with a grain of salt &#128521.

As the top tier SEC programs continually expand to more national recruiting, the rest of the league will look to expand beyond their own borders.

Main point: CNS with five National Championships in nine years has made all the SEC programs “run faster” in terms of national recruiting.
    I think this post is on target, although I would phrase things slightly different. I wouldn't say that expanding one's brand forces you to recruit nationally. What it does is generate interest from players across the country. Kirby addressed this in his Wed. presser. He said UGA has interest from kids all across the country. The increased interest provides a larger pool to draw from and affords you the ability to be more selective.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Jimbo Fisher called Kirby and staff out for the way they went after A&M's QB commit after Fields put his name in the transfer portal saying they gave the kid mis-leading info and lied to him. They are selling their souls on the recruiting trail and it is going to catch up with them soon.
    Gonna be interesting to see how Kirby's reputation within the "coaching circle" goes. Sounds like he's already ticking some coaches off. AND, if he's lying to recruits that take the bait (like Fields) then the rumors will really get going.