Link: Is Kirby Smart Really Locking Down Georgia??

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They have seven 5 star players coming out of the state of GA this year? That is insane.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
IMG makes all these state by state rankings look a little weird to me, at least at the top. For instance, Nolan Smith, from Savannah, playing at IMG, is now a state of Florida recruit. Same with Bo Scarbrough a few years back.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
This topic has been discussed at length on the DawgNation message board. Here's how I responded to locking down the state of Georgia.

1. It's impossible. Georgia and Atlanta in particular is transient location, full of transplants from other states and countries. The sons of parents who come from other states will have loyalties to schools not named UGA. You have kids that because of circumstances at home want to get away and go to school in another state.
2. Scholarships are limited and position groups are finite. The coaching staff may pass on recruiting an in-state player at a certain position, because of the existing depth and other needs.
3. Some of the kids on this 247Sports list (ex. J.T. Bertrand and Jalen Perry) were at one time UGA commits. They committed early and over time kids in their same position with more perceived talent expressed interest or have silently committed to Georgia. Therefore, kids like Jalen Perry were asked to seek opportunities elsewhere.
4. Some kids on this list cannot qualify academically.

In short, the state of Georgia has the 3rd highest number of Div. 1 prospects in the country, so there's no way Georgia can land them all.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This topic has been discussed at length on the DawgNation message board. Here's how I responded to locking down the state of Georgia.

1. It's impossible. Georgia and Atlanta in particular is transient location, full of transplants from other states and countries. The sons of parents who come from other states will have loyalties to schools not named UGA. You have kids that because of circumstances at home want to get away and go to school in another state.
2. Scholarships are limited and position groups are finite. The coaching staff may pass on recruiting an in-state player at a certain position, because of the existing depth and other needs.
3. Some of the kids on this 247Sports list (ex. J.T. Bertrand and Jalen Perry) were at one time UGA commits. They committed early and over time kids in their same position with more perceived talent expressed interest or have silently committed to Georgia. Therefore, kids like Jalen Perry were asked to seek opportunities elsewhere.

In short, the state of Georgia has the 3rd highest number of Div. 1 prospects in the country, so there's no way Georgia can land them all.
Would just add one more reason:

5. Some Georgia kids that UGA wants prefer another program over UGA.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

When people speak of locking down they don't mean getting all the prospects, they mean getting the ones they want every year. Nothing compares to the lockdown of the state of Louisiana pre Saban at Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
When people speak of locking down they don't mean getting all the prospects, they mean getting the ones they want every year. Nothing compares to the lockdown of the state of Louisiana pre Saban at Alabama.

Did anybody of note get out of Louisiana while CNS was there? Maybe, but I bet you could count them on one hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Did anybody of note get out of Louisiana while CNS was there? Maybe, but I bet you could count them on one hand.
Even after Saban it was fairly water tight. I think the levee started leaking with Joe McKnight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.