Mike Locksley Wins 2018 Broyles Award for Top Assistant

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
So he is gone . . . I wish he would have waited a year or two . . .

Washington Post, December 4 at 7:59 PM

Alabama offensive coordinator Mike Locksley has agreed in principle to be Maryland’s head football coach, according to multiple people close to the situation.

The sides reached a five-year deal with an option for an additional year. Locksley will earn roughly $2.5 million annually, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Locksley’s deal is similar to what DJ Durkin signed in 2015 and should give Maryland flexibility to hire or retain higher-salaried assistants.

Maryland plans to introduce Locksley at a Thursday news conference.

Locksley, a Washington native, has twice worked as an assistant on the Terrapins' staff. He coached running backs from 1997 to 2002, and he returned as the offensive coordinator from 2012 to 2015. He served as interim head coach for the final six games of the 2015 season after Maryland fired Randy Edsall. When the school passed over Locksley for the permanent job in favor of DJ Durkin, Locksley headed to Alabama to be an offensive analyst.

“I am thrilled to be returning home and to have the opportunity to lead the Maryland football program,” Locksley said in a statement released by Maryland. “This has always been a special place for me and my family, and I am honored to take on this role at the state’s flagship institution. Our goal is to create an atmosphere and environment focused on the total development of our student-athletes. Our focus will always be to help them become more successful in all areas of their life through their association with our program."

Locksley, 48, has helped lead Alabama’s offense to historic heights this season, his first calling plays for the Crimson Tide. Alabama (13-0) beat Georgia to win the SEC championship on Saturday, and will return to the College Football Playoff as the top seed and defending national champion. Alabama’s offense averages 47.9 points per game (second nationally), 527.6 yards per game (seventh) and 7.92 yards per play (second). Alabama’s quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, is a favorite to win the Heisman Trophy. Earlier on Tuesday, Locksley won the Broyles Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top assistant coach.

“Two years ago, I was in the Nick Saban witness protection program,” Locksley said in his speech at the Broyles Award ceremony. “I was out of a job. I just left the University of Maryland as the offensive coordinator, was kind of in between what I wanted to do. ... What an honor and how great it’s been for me and my career to be able to rehabilitate it [at Alabama]. ”

Locksley is beloved in the D.C. football community and known as a top recruiter of the area. Some of the players Locksley recruited to play at Maryland include wide receiver Stefon Diggs of the Minnesota Vikings and linebacker Jermaine Carter of the Carolina Panthers, both local products.

Locksley is expected to remain on Alabama’s staff through in the playoff, which will begin Dec. 29 against fourth-seeded Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, according to a person close to the situation.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Mixed emotions about him staying on. Didn’t we lose a recruit or two when Kirby did this? How does he spend his time between now and the 19th?
I guess there’s worse things than going into “Saban’s rehab” with the talent that’s in place; something tells me he doesn’t win the Broyles award if he’s elsewhere. Curious as to what, if any, effect this has on JH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.