Game Thread: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip)

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I am not sure what Herbert worked on during the off season, but it must not have been shooting. He is under 40% from the field and 47.4% from the free throw line.

If anything, he has regressed offensively.

Is our best player a 17 year old freshman?

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
When I quit following the game last night we were up by 20. I was stunned when I met my dad this morning and he told me what had happened.

I've been pessimistic for a while now. No, I'm not going to bash anyone, especially since I rarely post on this board and it's awful when someone never participates until they say something negative. But it's difficult to look around at the other programs in the SEC that hired new coaches around the same time we did, and to see them in the top 10, or top 20, having great seasons and getting nice tournament seedings.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix it. I hope CAJ is able to.
Yep, I don't want to say anything pessimistic right now, so I'll just say Roll Tide and move on.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think that I am done defending CAJ. I think his energy and enthusiasm is what we needed injected into our program. I’m not going to bash him, but I’m making myself look foolish now constantly defending him. Too often, we just don’t look prepared or have a fluid gameplan. Substitution patterns and certain lineups on the floor are bizarre. I came in here and defended him until I was blue in the face, and I admit that I was probably wrong. I do think the program is better off than it was under CAG, but we may have reached our ceiling. Who knows, maybe I’m just down right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mention that word "fluid." You said gameplan, but as you watch our offense that is what's missing. We have no fluidity. I know it's not fair, but watch Duke move the ball on offense and it hardly ever hits the floor or pauses in one person's hand for more than a split second. But we dribble way too much and catch passes and hold them. This is what defenses want us to do, but a defense can't keep up with an offense that has good ball movement.

I am not sure what Herbert worked on during the off season, but it must not have been shooting. He is under 40% from the field and 47.4% from the free throw line.

If anything, he has regressed offensively.

Is our best player a 17 year old freshman?
Yep, that's what I've seen!

I hate to say this, but this team is starting to remind me of Grant's teams. They look good walking off the bus and and in warmup, but all athletes do. But when the game starts, they really aren't great basketball players.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We have no real scorers.....other than the frosh kid. Everyone else needs help to score.

Is the seat hot yet? When I suggested it earlier I got a bunch of drama.....

Not sure Avery is a great coach..... Right now, this is an Anthony Grant team without the Defense

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My take is the kids are kind of entitled. All this talk of Herb, Petty, and Hall being NBA prospects has gone to their heads. They seem to be playing as individuals, not as a team. The fact is the only likely NBA talent is too young to go pro until next year, Kira Lewis. We are in year 4 and we are still losing games because we can't do the simplest of fundamentals, shoot free throws. We are perennially one the worst free throw shooting teams in the SEC if not the nation. I thought moving Mack to the starting lineup really helped, but he seemed to forget he was on the bench for most of the 2nd half. Hall seemed much more comfortable at the 5 rather than the 4 position and it showed. We got some production out of the 5 for a change albeit mostly free throws.

This team can be really good when they shoot freely and confidently like they did in the 1st half, but they can really stink if the get hesitant like the 2nd half. I have also defended Coach Johnson, but this one hurt and hurt badly. We can still have a good season, but if we don't fix the leaks, this team and fans along with them will loose hope. Zona is beatable and perhaps we were looking ahead, but we lost a huge opportunity last night.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Not panicking yet ... but doggone. Seems like this team is missing a leader/leaders. It's been the trend that Bama's last few seasons have consisted of ups and so thinking it may be the same this go round ... more highs and lows this season. This was definitely a low unfortunately.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Yep, we are missing a leader. Our offense comes and goes but defense can carry you through lulls if you will play it. Seems like we lose the shooters at times and get beat on the dribble. Murray State kid tore us up also off the bounce.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, 17y old kid is our best player by far. Petty, Hall, Smith, and Jones are seriously underperforming offensively. I have come to conclusion that Ingram is not quick enough to make offense flow well. That's a starting 5 not playing well at any level. Giddens is completely MIA. I have a lot of respect for Norris but the fact he still gets minutes tells you a lot. Am I correct that he and Hall are the 2 lone CAG recruits still on the roster?

It's time Avery to Buckle Down and coach these boys...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, 17y old kid is our best player by far. Petty, Hall, Smith, and Jones are seriously underperforming offensively. I have come to conclusion that Ingram is not quick enough to make offense flow well. That's a starting 5 not playing well at any level. Giddens is completely MIA. I have a lot of respect for Norris but the fact he still gets minutes tells you a lot. Am I correct that he and Hall are the 2 lone CAG recruits still on the roster?

It's time Avery to Buckle Down and coach these boys...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Riley played 8 minutes Tuesday night. Those were his first minutes since the 2016-2017 season. Not like he's a starter at this point. He's been out for over a year with an injury.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not panicking yet ... but doggone. Seems like this team is missing a leader/leaders. It's been the trend that Bama's last few seasons have consisted of ups and so thinking it may be the same this go round ... more highs and lows this season. This was definitely a low unfortunately.
Yep, we are missing a leader. Our offense comes and goes but defense can carry you through lulls if you will play it. Seems like we lose the shooters at times and get beat on the dribble. Murray State kid tore us up also off the bounce.
Let's face it, last year's relative success was all Sexton. It's not his fault, but I'm not sure the players around him really improved last year and this is what we are left with. Kira's a player but he's not Sexton and can't carry this team all season long. If some of the other guys don't figure it out it's going to be a long, frustrating season of "hard to watch" basketball.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Let's face it, last year's relative success was all Sexton. It's not his fault, but I'm not sure the players around him really improved last year and this is what we are left with. Kira's a player but he's not Sexton and can't carry this team all season long. If some of the other guys don't figure it out it's going to be a long, frustrating season of "hard to watch" basketball.
Agree and disagree. I agree that much of our success was based upon a fierce competitor in Sexton, but I also think we can be very good this year. The formula for defending Alabama has been the same for years, clog the inside and make us hit outside shots. Our rotation was simply bad in the 2nd half. For some reason, Petty was not playing much and Jones was. Herb had an awful night shooting as he has the last 2 games. Petty hasn't been given the chance to light up the score board simply because he isn't getting enough minutes. The same goes for Mack. Mack can be our best all around offensive player if he can get on the court consistently. We also have a very young PG who is still figuring out how to get the ball to our other players. Assists are an indication of ball movement and we seem to drive to shoot not to dish. When we do dish it, our bigs often turn it over. We are not as good as we in the 1st half Tuesday night not or we as bad as we were during the 2nd half.

Have I given up on the season , no. Am I extremely disappointed in out play the last 2 games, absolutely, but I believe in this team. I think if we use a shorter bench, we can be pretty good. We can't play 10 man rotation, where no one gets enough time to get in sync.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree and disagree. I agree that much of our success was based upon a fierce competitor in Sexton, but I also think we can be very good this year. The formula for defending Alabama has been the same for years, clog the inside and make us hit outside shots. Our rotation was simply bad in the 2nd half. For some reason, Petty was not playing much and Jones was. Herb had an awful night shooting as he has the last 2 games. Petty hasn't been given the chance to light up the score board simply because he isn't getting enough minutes. The same goes for Mack. Mack can be our best all around offensive player if he can get on the court consistently. We also have a very young PG who is still figuring out how to get the ball to our other players. Assists are an indication of ball movement and we seem to drive to shoot not to dish. When we do dish it, our bigs often turn it over. We are not as good as we in the 1st half Tuesday night not or we as bad as we were during the 2nd half.

Have I given up on the season , no. Am I extremely disappointed in out play the last 2 games, absolutely, but I believe in this team. I think if we use a shorter bench, we can be pretty good. We can't play 10 man rotation, where no one gets enough time to get in sync.
Agree about Petty and Mack. I think those, along with Kira are going to have to become consistent double digit scorers for us to have a decect year in the SEC.

The frustrating thing for us going all the way back to Grants tenure is that college basketball has become a 3 point game. If a team can't shoot the three consistently they aren't going to win. And, for whatever reason, we can recruit great athletes but not great shooters. I know the best teams get guys who can do both, but I wish we'd target a few guys who just can't miss who might not be the best athletes. JMO.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Agree about Petty and Mack. I think those, along with Kira are going to have to become consistent double digit scorers for us to have a decect year in the SEC.

The frustrating thing for us going all the way back to Grants tenure is that college basketball has become a 3 point game. If a team can't shoot the three consistently they aren't going to win. And, for whatever reason, we can recruit great athletes but not great shooters. I know the best teams get guys who can do both, but I wish we'd target a few guys who just can't miss who might not be the best athletes. JMO.
Between Avery, Herb, Ingram, none are shooters. Get those guys on the court with Smith and inconsistent Mack and that’s a problem. We definitely need more shooters but a few are coming next year

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Is this just a slow start or should we start considering the possibility he just isn’t that great a coach?

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Is this just a slow start or should we start considering the possibility he just isn’t that great a coach?

This!! Avery is proving to be a below average coach. In fact, if you were to rank the coaches in the SEC right now, he would probably fall in the 12-14 range. It is now time for our AD to be putting a list of names together to replace him. Avery will never get the job done against the surging SEC and the list of coaches now in place. Why delay the inevitable? There are some good options, including Fred Hoiberg, who is now on the sidelines.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
This!! Avery is proving to be a below average coach. In fact, if you were to rank the coaches in the SEC right now, he would probably fall in the 12-14 range. It is now time for our AD to be putting a list of names together to replace him. Avery will never get the job done against the surging SEC and the list of coaches now in place. Why delay the inevitable? There are some good options, including Fred Hoiberg, who is now on the sidelines.
hire him

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You mention that word "fluid." You said gameplan, but as you watch our offense that is what's missing. We have no fluidity. I know it's not fair, but watch Duke move the ball on offense and it hardly ever hits the floor or pauses in one person's hand for more than a split second. But we dribble way too much and catch passes and hold them. This is what defenses want us to do, but a defense can't keep up with an offense that has good ball movement.

Yep, that's what I've seen!

I hate to say this, but this team is starting to remind me of Grant's teams. They look good walking off the bus and and in warmup, but all athletes do. But when the game starts, they really aren't great basketball players.
We play offense like an NBA team because we have a NBA coach. The reason it doesn't work for us but does for Duke is that Alabama doesn't have any NBA players. Due to the lack of shooting ability, and quite frankly basketball talent, we should run a lot more motion and cuts on offense instead of everybody standing around. This would result in easier shots and more attempts in the paint. We're not good enough to let one guy try to break down the defense by himself and even if that happens we're not good enough at hitting the open 3s..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.