Game Thread: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip)

The team was just dying for a field goal during a very long stretch and the defense fell apart. GS took away the dribble in the 2nd half and the team could not make the necessary passes often enough. Scoring one point every 2 or 3 trips was not keeping up.

I'm feeling down on Coach at the moment as well. Still hoping the lineups will stabilize and the players will gel but at the moment they don't seem like a cohesive unit.

I think the 3 players signed for next year are top 100 which is pretty significant with maybe another signing later.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    The team was just dying for a field goal during a very long stretch and the defense fell apart. GS took away the dribble in the 2nd half and the team could not make the necessary passes often enough. Scoring one point every 2 or 3 trips was not keeping up.

I'm feeling down on Coach at the moment as well. Still hoping the lineups will stabilize and the players will gel but at the moment they don't seem like a cohesive unit.

I think the 3 players signed for next year are top 100 which is pretty significant with maybe another signing later.
    The hope was the other would be Trendon Watford. That continues to look less likely as Penny Hardaway continues to get top recruits based on his AAU connections.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Yep. He's gotten the talent on campus, which is a positive. However, I'm starting to think the ceiling has been reached.

Now, a surprise win over Arizona Sunday can easily change my thought process.
    Not for me, it will take sustained effort over the remainder of the season which is something we haven't see yet out of a CAJ coached team. Every year there has been a collapse in December and February. In between those times we've had good moments but no sustained success. I love CAJ as a person but not as a coach. Honestly I gave up on him last season even though I hoped I was wrong. I've been to more Bama bball games since CAJ was hired than with Hobbs, Gottfried, and Grant combined due to my excitement over what I had hoped CAJ was building at UA. However it has been painfully obvious for awhile now that there is no direction with his coaching. There is no offense outside of individual performance and defense has been getting worse and worse. I would love to be wrong about CAJ because he is a heck of a person but my gut tells me that the best thing for the program is for him to recognize that he is not a coach and to go back into broadcasting at the end of the season.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post

I've never been optimistic that we would sign Watford. We couldn't sign his brother and I don't think we will sign him either.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    I think that I am done defending CAJ. I think his energy and enthusiasm is what we needed injected into our program. I知 not going to bash him, but I知 making myself look foolish now constantly defending him. Too often, we just don稚 look prepared or have a fluid gameplan. Substitution patterns and certain lineups on the floor are bizarre. I came in here and defended him until I was blue in the face, and I admit that I was probably wrong. I do think the program is better off than it was under CAG, but we may have reached our ceiling. Who knows, maybe I知 just down right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've defended CAJ for awhile now. Blowing a 22 point lead to Georgia State (however good they might be - see second post in thread) in year four lets the doubt and worry to begin to creep in. I hate it.

My posts the last 2 years were never meant to bash or hate on CAJ but in the second half of year two and the first half of year three I didn't see progress or improvement in the program. I'll admit that I'm somewhat pessimistic about Bama basketball since we've been mediocre for so long but I think it's clear now that the only reason last year wasn't a disaster is because of Colin Sexton's heroics down the stretch and in the SEC tournament. Definitely give CAJ credit for bringing more talent to the program but it almost makes it worse when we keep losing to far less talented teams.

This is probably pie in the sky i.e. a Nick Saban type of hire but I wonder if Billy Donovan has about run his course with the Oklahoma Thunder and if he has any desire to return to the college game. If Byrne decides to move on from Avery we need to have a strong candidate identified. We can't take another flyer on a guy like CAJ who never really coached or was involved in the college game before..

BamaNation Hall of Fame

When I quit following the game last night we were up by 20. I was stunned when I met my dad this morning and he told me what had happened.

I've been pessimistic for a while now. No, I'm not going to bash anyone, especially since I rarely post on this board and it's awful when someone never participates until they say something negative. But it's difficult to look around at the other programs in the SEC that hired new coaches around the same time we did, and to see them in the top 10, or top 20, having great seasons and getting nice tournament seedings.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix it. I hope CAJ is able to.

BamaNation First Team

Watford is good as gone. Hardaway has opened up the AAU cessppol of recruiting tactics- perfect for a cesspool city and program like Memphis. And our program continues to show no real signs of getting where we would all like to see it.
    The hope was the other would be Trendon Watford. That continues to look less likely as Penny Hardaway continues to get top recruits based on his AAU connections.

BamaNation First Team

Gottfried did not even try to sign his brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    I've never been optimistic that we would sign Watford. We couldn't sign his brother and I don't think we will sign him either.

BamaNation Second Team Philippines's Avatar

I am not sure what Herbert worked on during the off season, but it must not have been shooting. He is under 40% from the field and 47.4% from the free throw line.

If anything, he has regressed offensively.

Is our best player a 17 year old freshman?
    Last edited by Philippines; December 5th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    When I quit following the game last night we were up by 20. I was stunned when I met my dad this morning and he told me what had happened.

I've been pessimistic for a while now. No, I'm not going to bash anyone, especially since I rarely post on this board and it's awful when someone never participates until they say something negative. But it's difficult to look around at the other programs in the SEC that hired new coaches around the same time we did, and to see them in the top 10, or top 20, having great seasons and getting nice tournament seedings.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix it. I hope CAJ is able to.
    Yep, I don't want to say anything pessimistic right now, so I'll just say Roll Tide and move on.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    I think that I am done defending CAJ. I think his energy and enthusiasm is what we needed injected into our program. I知 not going to bash him, but I知 making myself look foolish now constantly defending him. Too often, we just don稚 look prepared or have a fluid gameplan. Substitution patterns and certain lineups on the floor are bizarre. I came in here and defended him until I was blue in the face, and I admit that I was probably wrong. I do think the program is better off than it was under CAG, but we may have reached our ceiling. Who knows, maybe I知 just down right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mention that word "fluid." You said gameplan, but as you watch our offense that is what's missing. We have no fluidity. I know it's not fair, but watch Duke move the ball on offense and it hardly ever hits the floor or pauses in one person's hand for more than a split second. But we dribble way too much and catch passes and hold them. This is what defenses want us to do, but a defense can't keep up with an offense that has good ball movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippines View Post
    I am not sure what Herbert worked on during the off season, but it must not have been shooting. He is under 40% from the field and 47.4% from the free throw line.

If anything, he has regressed offensively.

Is our best player a 17 year old freshman?
    Yep, that's what I've seen!

I hate to say this, but this team is starting to remind me of Grant's teams. They look good walking off the bus and and in warmup, but all athletes do. But when the game starts, they really aren't great basketball players.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

We have no real scorers.....other than the frosh kid. Everyone else needs help to score.

Is the seat hot yet? When I suggested it earlier I got a bunch of drama.....

Not sure Avery is a great coach..... Right now, this is an Anthony Grant team without the Defense
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American

My take is the kids are kind of entitled. All this talk of Herb, Petty, and Hall being NBA prospects has gone to their heads. They seem to be playing as individuals, not as a team. The fact is the only likely NBA talent is too young to go pro until next year, Kira Lewis. We are in year 4 and we are still losing games because we can't do the simplest of fundamentals, shoot free throws. We are perennially one the worst free throw shooting teams in the SEC if not the nation. I thought moving Mack to the starting lineup really helped, but he seemed to forget he was on the bench for most of the 2nd half. Hall seemed much more comfortable at the 5 rather than the 4 position and it showed. We got some production out of the 5 for a change albeit mostly free throws.

This team can be really good when they shoot freely and confidently like they did in the 1st half, but they can really stink if the get hesitant like the 2nd half. I have also defended Coach Johnson, but this one hurt and hurt badly. We can still have a good season, but if we don't fix the leaks, this team and fans along with them will loose hope. Zona is beatable and perhaps we were looking ahead, but we lost a huge opportunity last night.