Game Thread: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip) - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip)

Not panicking yet ... but doggone. Seems like this team is missing a leader/leaders. It's been the trend that Bama's last few seasons have consisted of ups and so thinking it may be the same this go round ... more highs and lows this season. This was definitely a low unfortunately.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Yep, we are missing a leader. Our offense comes and goes but defense can carry you through lulls if you will play it. Seems like we lose the shooters at times and get beat on the dribble. Murray State kid tore us up also off the bounce.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I just found out how this ended. How the hell do you blow a 22 point lead to a Sun Belt team?
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I just found out how this ended. How the hell do you blow a 22 point lead to a Sun Belt team?
    It was far easier than you could imagine.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-American

Yes, 17y old kid is our best player by far. Petty, Hall, Smith, and Jones are seriously underperforming offensively. I have come to conclusion that Ingram is not quick enough to make offense flow well. That's a starting 5 not playing well at any level. Giddens is completely MIA. I have a lot of respect for Norris but the fact he still gets minutes tells you a lot. Am I correct that he and Hall are the 2 lone CAG recruits still on the roster?

It's time Avery to Buckle Down and coach these boys...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Yes, 17y old kid is our best player by far. Petty, Hall, Smith, and Jones are seriously underperforming offensively. I have come to conclusion that Ingram is not quick enough to make offense flow well. That's a starting 5 not playing well at any level. Giddens is completely MIA. I have a lot of respect for Norris but the fact he still gets minutes tells you a lot. Am I correct that he and Hall are the 2 lone CAG recruits still on the roster?

It's time Avery to Buckle Down and coach these boys...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Riley played 8 minutes Tuesday night. Those were his first minutes since the 2016-2017 season. Not like he's a starter at this point. He's been out for over a year with an injury.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    Not panicking yet ... but doggone. Seems like this team is missing a leader/leaders. It's been the trend that Bama's last few seasons have consisted of ups and so thinking it may be the same this go round ... more highs and lows this season. This was definitely a low unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Yep, we are missing a leader. Our offense comes and goes but defense can carry you through lulls if you will play it. Seems like we lose the shooters at times and get beat on the dribble. Murray State kid tore us up also off the bounce.
    Let's face it, last year's relative success was all Sexton. It's not his fault, but I'm not sure the players around him really improved last year and this is what we are left with. Kira's a player but he's not Sexton and can't carry this team all season long. If some of the other guys don't figure it out it's going to be a long, frustrating season of "hard to watch" basketball.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Let's face it, last year's relative success was all Sexton. It's not his fault, but I'm not sure the players around him really improved last year and this is what we are left with. Kira's a player but he's not Sexton and can't carry this team all season long. If some of the other guys don't figure it out it's going to be a long, frustrating season of "hard to watch" basketball.
    Agree and disagree. I agree that much of our success was based upon a fierce competitor in Sexton, but I also think we can be very good this year. The formula for defending Alabama has been the same for years, clog the inside and make us hit outside shots. Our rotation was simply bad in the 2nd half. For some reason, Petty was not playing much and Jones was. Herb had an awful night shooting as he has the last 2 games. Petty hasn't been given the chance to light up the score board simply because he isn't getting enough minutes. The same goes for Mack. Mack can be our best all around offensive player if he can get on the court consistently. We also have a very young PG who is still figuring out how to get the ball to our other players. Assists are an indication of ball movement and we seem to drive to shoot not to dish. When we do dish it, our bigs often turn it over. We are not as good as we in the 1st half Tuesday night not or we as bad as we were during the 2nd half.

Have I given up on the season , no. Am I extremely disappointed in out play the last 2 games, absolutely, but I believe in this team. I think if we use a shorter bench, we can be pretty good. We can't play 10 man rotation, where no one gets enough time to get in sync.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Agree and disagree. I agree that much of our success was based upon a fierce competitor in Sexton, but I also think we can be very good this year. The formula for defending Alabama has been the same for years, clog the inside and make us hit outside shots. Our rotation was simply bad in the 2nd half. For some reason, Petty was not playing much and Jones was. Herb had an awful night shooting as he has the last 2 games. Petty hasn't been given the chance to light up the score board simply because he isn't getting enough minutes. The same goes for Mack. Mack can be our best all around offensive player if he can get on the court consistently. We also have a very young PG who is still figuring out how to get the ball to our other players. Assists are an indication of ball movement and we seem to drive to shoot not to dish. When we do dish it, our bigs often turn it over. We are not as good as we in the 1st half Tuesday night not or we as bad as we were during the 2nd half.

Have I given up on the season , no. Am I extremely disappointed in out play the last 2 games, absolutely, but I believe in this team. I think if we use a shorter bench, we can be pretty good. We can't play 10 man rotation, where no one gets enough time to get in sync.
    Agree about Petty and Mack. I think those, along with Kira are going to have to become consistent double digit scorers for us to have a decect year in the SEC.

The frustrating thing for us going all the way back to Grants tenure is that college basketball has become a 3 point game. If a team can't shoot the three consistently they aren't going to win. And, for whatever reason, we can recruit great athletes but not great shooters. I know the best teams get guys who can do both, but I wish we'd target a few guys who just can't miss who might not be the best athletes. JMO.

BamaNation All-American beatthemtigers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Agree about Petty and Mack. I think those, along with Kira are going to have to become consistent double digit scorers for us to have a decect year in the SEC.

The frustrating thing for us going all the way back to Grants tenure is that college basketball has become a 3 point game. If a team can't shoot the three consistently they aren't going to win. And, for whatever reason, we can recruit great athletes but not great shooters. I know the best teams get guys who can do both, but I wish we'd target a few guys who just can't miss who might not be the best athletes. JMO.
    Between Avery, Herb, Ingram, none are shooters. Get those guys on the court with Smith and inconsistent Mack and thatís a problem. We definitely need more shooters but a few are coming next year

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Is this just a slow start or should we start considering the possibility he just isnít that great a coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Is this just a slow start or should we start considering the possibility he just isn’t that great a coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This!! Avery is proving to be a below average coach. In fact, if you were to rank the coaches in the SEC right now, he would probably fall in the 12-14 range. It is now time for our AD to be putting a list of names together to replace him. Avery will never get the job done against the surging SEC and the list of coaches now in place. Why delay the inevitable? There are some good options, including Fred Hoiberg, who is now on the sidelines.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    This!! Avery is proving to be a below average coach. In fact, if you were to rank the coaches in the SEC right now, he would probably fall in the 12-14 range. It is now time for our AD to be putting a list of names together to replace him. Avery will never get the job done against the surging SEC and the list of coaches now in place. Why delay the inevitable? There are some good options, including Fred Hoiberg, who is now on the sidelines.
    hire him