Mack Wilson Hints at Coming Back for Senior Year

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He was on the field doing some drills during SECCG week. I would be surprised if he's not playing on December 29. They aren't usually doing football movements with players unless they're pretty close to be cleared. This is just going on past situations like the Lewis rehab situation. I imagine he'll probably be cleared before the real game prep begins.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He was on the field doing some drills during SECCG week. I would be surprised if he's not playing on December 29. They aren't usually doing football movements with players unless they're pretty close to be cleared. This is just going on past situations like the Lewis rehab situation. I imagine he'll probably be cleared before the real game prep begins.
He was on the practice field before that. Media saw him for the first time then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If Mac wants a long, fruitful career in the league then he will come back. Though he is extremely talented he doesn’t have Saban’s system down yet much less the complicated O schemes he will face in the NFL. He has been extremely erratic and slow to react in many situations and games this year. He needs one more year of training and development with the Master imo.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
If Wilson comes back and Lewis plays a full season at 100 per cent that will go a long way toward helping a very young defensive line. I'm optimistic that next year's team will be at least as good as this year's. The offense will be just as explosive. If we find a kicker and punter....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Q. Williams has ZERO benefit in returning. He's dang near guaranteed a top ten pick, and very likely a top five pick. Mack on the other hand NEEDS to come back to polish up and improve on areas of his game. IMO, if he came out this year, he would more than likely go in the second round. Any time a player's draft grade is "late first, early second". I normally lean toward he will probably be taken in the second. If he comes back he could solidify a top ten pick and possibly a top five pick. Which is a HUGE difference in money.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
All the mock drafts have Wilson between pick #9 and #25 . With a special playoff he could easily be a top 15 pick. Tough decision. Come back for a possible top 5- 10 or leave now for a probable top 20 .
[/URL][/IMG]

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
IMO, if you're a solid first round draft projection, you go. Sure, you might improve your stock coming back, but first round is first round.
Agreed. The only position I would say this doesn't always apply to is QB. I can see a lot of value in returning even if you're a projected 1st round pick.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
IMO, if you're a solid first round draft projection, you go. Sure, you might improve your stock coming back, but first round is first round.
agree, except nfl salary is slotted bynpick. In 2018 pick 15 made 13.6 mil and pick #5 made 27.6mil. Given the fact the team has control of a player for up to 5 years, where you go in the first round is huge. He could bet on himself , roll the dice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
agree, except nfl salary is slotted bynpick. In 2018 pick 15 made 13.6 mil and pick #5 made 27.6mil. Given the fact the team has control of a player for up to 5 years, where you go in the first round is huge. He could bet on himself , roll the dice.
I think that there is room for discussion if the player is told that he is a mid-late first rounder. Those guys could easily drop to the second round if the teams' needs don't align with their draft pick. But if a player is a early-mid first round projection, he should go. Sure, he mght get more by playing another year, but he might also get less. All it takes is a nagging injury to lower his production and have him drop in the draft.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that there is room for discussion if the player is told that he is a mid-late first rounder. Those guys could easily drop to the second round if the teams' needs don't align with their draft pick. But if a player is a early-mid first round projection, he should go. Sure, he mght get more by playing another year, but he might also get less. All it takes is a nagging injury to lower his production and have him drop in the draft.
I tend to agree, especially as applies to Tua. He's displayed a tendency towards fragility. Any team selecting him will be weighting in that negative factor and selecting him despite that possible problem. A couple of more injuries in his senior year could cause his stock to drop like a rock. Also to remember that we've had a couple of guys go, even with Coach advising the contrary, and were (or are) starters...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I tend to agree, especially as applies to Tua. He's displayed a tendency towards fragility. Any team selecting him will be weighting in that negative factor and selecting him despite that possible problem. A couple of more injuries in his senior year could cause his stock to drop like a rock. Also to remember that we've had a couple of guys go, even with Coach advising the contrary, and were (or are) starters...
Next year Tua needs to show he understands when to give up on a play and live (stay healthy) to play another play. I think if he does that he'll probably get thru next season injury free with a little luck.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd also point out that there's little question that Wilson hasn't reached his ceiling - there's more growth there. I'm not sold on Golding getting him there, but I think staying will definitely improve his draft stock, depending on team needs. He might be the best LB on the board but if teams have more pressing needs, a player can drop like a rock.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd also point out that there's little question that Wilson hasn't reached his ceiling - there's more growth there. I'm not sold on Golding getting him there, but I think staying will definitely improve his draft stock, depending on team needs. He might be the best LB on the board but if teams have more pressing needs, a player can drop like a rock.
Another factor about his development/readiness that Nick might want him to consider is being able to quickly adjust to the NFL. Not being as ready could cause him to not be what most teams want out of their first rounder, which could leave to problems down the road as far as contracts and/or status with the team.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the staff take play calling responsibilities away from Mack around game 3? Communication was horrible. Now everyone looks to the side for signals and we're a much smoother unit. I would assume that NFL scouts are aware of that. I think another year calling the D as the captain would help him quite a bit. RTR!!!:pDTC_003: on TideFans.com
Another factor about his development/readiness that Nick might want him to consider is being able to quickly adjust to the NFL. Not being as ready could cause him to not be what most teams want out of their first rounder, which could leave to problems down the road as far as contracts and/or status with the team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This in spades. He's really not even been ready for the tougher defenses in our schedule. It would be exponentially worse in the NFL...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.