Mack Wilson Hints at Coming Back for Senior Year

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
All the mock drafts have Wilson between pick #9 and #25 . With a special playoff he could easily be a top 15 pick. Tough decision. Come back for a possible top 5- 10 or leave now for a probable top 20 .
[/URL][/IMG]
It surprises me a bit that he is that highly rated considering how he seems to get lost in coverage at times. The NFL is a passing league these days from what I understand, so that rating for MW doesn't make sense to me. If it is accurate, he should go. If it isn't, I hope he stays.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'd also point out that there's little question that Wilson hasn't reached his ceiling - there's more growth there. I'm not sold on Golding getting him there, but I think staying will definitely improve his draft stock, depending on team needs. He might be the best LB on the board but if teams have more pressing needs, a player can drop like a rock.
But on the flip side -- if he "scores" at the combine -- he could shoot up the ladder.....and Mack is the kind of guy that probably has superb measurables (sp?)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But on the flip side -- if he "scores" at the combine -- he could shoot up the ladder.....and Mack is the kind of guy that probably has superb measurables (sp?)
The NFL scouts have forgotten more about evaluating these players than you and I will ever know, combined. That said, they can see the film and see that he has freakish athletic ability, so I'm sure he'd be drafted - but there's little question he needs more time to develop reading his keys - and that would certainly count against his draft status.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
It surprises me a bit that he is that highly rated considering how he seems to get lost in coverage at times. The NFL is a passing league these days from what I understand, so that rating for MW doesn't make sense to me. If it is accurate, he should go. If it isn't, I hope he stays.
well, if you look at his highlight tape of the past two years in coverage, you see a first rounder. just dont watch the Arkansas game from this year.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think that there is room for discussion if the player is told that he is a mid-late first rounder. Those guys could easily drop to the second round if the teams' needs don't align with their draft pick. But if a player is a early-mid first round projection, he should go. Sure, he mght get more by playing another year, but he might also get less. All it takes is a nagging injury to lower his production and have him drop in the draft.
This happens every year. Projections don’t always pan out, and if you’re not a sure fire top ten pick it’s a gamble, one that could cost a lot of money. It’s basically an individual knowing their priorities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's not the best ILB on the team. He made way too many mistakes this year to be a 1st round inside backer. In the seasons McClain, Hightower, Mosley, Foster, and Evans went out they were tacticians at diagnosing the play and taking the correct pursuit angle or drop in coverage. They seemed a half to whole step faster than their actual pure speed simply due to knowing where to go quicker than the offense could get a hand on them. Wilson ain't there yet. He goes where he going quickly but it isn't always the right direction or best angle.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think it all depends on where he projects in the NFL. Is he expected to step in and be THE GUY calling plays and the QB of the defense as an MLB, or will he be counted on more to be the athletic WILL, or an OLB in a 4-3 scheme. If the first, then this season 2018 shows he probably needs some development time. If the second, then you look back at 2017 where he played a ton but didn't have to be the signal caller and was more productive (on a per snap basis).

Honestly, this was the same thing as Hightower. When we were asking him to be "the guy" calling all the plays, he wasn't as productive. swap that responsibility over to the other guy and let Donta play Will, and his productivity skyrocketed.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We
I think it all depends on where he projects in the NFL. Is he expected to step in and be THE GUY calling plays and the QB of the defense as an MLB, or will he be counted on more to be the athletic WILL, or an OLB in a 4-3 scheme. If the first, then this season 2018 shows he probably needs some development time. If the second, then you look back at 2017 where he played a ton but didn't have to be the signal caller and was more productive (on a per snap basis).

Honestly, this was the same thing as Hightower. When we were asking him to be "the guy" calling all the plays, he wasn't as productive. swap that responsibility over to the other guy and let Donta play Will, and his productivity skyrocketed.
Hightower could play four different positions when he was here and he led arguably the best D(2011) that we’ve ever had. Mack is significantly behind Donta in his development at the same point in his career.

There are two career paths in front of Mack—Dontas or Ro McClains. Right now I’d say he ends up being more like Ro than Donta. But ultimately it’s up to him.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We

Hightower could play four different positions when he was here and he led arguably the best D(2011) that we’ve ever had. Mack is significantly behind Donta in his development at the same point in his career.

There are two career paths in front of Mack—Dontas or Ro McClains. Right now I’d say he ends up being more like Ro than Donta. But ultimately it’s up to him.
IMO, he is more like a DeMeco Ryans than either of those guys.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Ryans was rarely out of position and was a very instinctive player which translated well into a very productive career in Houston and philly. He just didn’t have the prototypical size of Reuben, Ro, Hightower and Moseley.

I see Mack as a Ragland type of player. The physical attributes are there as well as the periodic big play and hit, but not the consistency. I believe Ragland went in round two which is where I would guess Mack would go this year

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ryans was a tackling machine. I don't have the stat sheet in front of me but it wouldn't surprise me if he was the all-time tackles leader in Alabama history.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We

DH basically spent an extra year with us because of being slow coming back from the ACL. He was a different player at the end of that season...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, we seldom depart in opinion, but we do here. DR was one of the headiest players we've had, heady enough to overcome significant physical limitations. OTOH, I can't quite go with Ro, either, because I think Ro is more physically gifted than Mack...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, we seldom depart in opinion, but we do here. DR was one of the headiest players we've had, heady enough to overcome significant physical limitations. OTOH, I can't quite go with Ro, either, because I think Ro is more physically gifted than Mack...
Sorry, I meant in physical attributes. You are right about the mental side of the ball. But both were very athletic, could defend receivers in space, etc. But DR was very, very bright. Even his coaches in the NFL have said as much.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I live Mack, certainly has the potential to go in the first, but I,think those mock drafts may be off. Ilb is not a position that comes off tge board quickly unless they are immediately ready to,play at the NFL level or they are next level pass rushers.

Mack has room to improve in those areas, and may br better as a will than a Mike in the Long run. I think when he gets his official grade he will be coming back foe a senior season and with the right progress will be a mid first rounder in the 2020 draft.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I live Mack, certainly has the potential to go in the first, but I,think those mock drafts may be off. Ilb is not a position that comes off tge board quickly unless they are immediately ready to,play at the NFL level or they are next level pass rushers.

Mack has room to improve in those areas, and may br better as a will than a Mike in the Long run. I think when he gets his official grade he will be coming back foe a senior season and with the right progress will be a mid first rounder in the 2020 draft.
I tend to agree. I'm sure you meant "love"... :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd like to say that I've been kinda brutal but honest about where Mack Wilson stands. He'll get drafted if he goes but I just don't see the tape from him similar to other highly drafted ILBs under this regime. He could even end up being a pro bowl player for an NFL team if he continues to progress and lands in the right operation in the NFL. We can't predict his financial situation around him either. There may be circumstances that would dictate a less than ideal declaration decision.

If it is all about the tape and his draft slot then he will be back next year. ILBs rarely go as high as the draftniks online lead you to believe in their mocks. The 20s are usually the range where first round quality ILBS go. The mock draft guys do a very poor job of understanding the value chart by position and how most franchises religiously follow it unless they've GOT to get their guy. If you aren't one of the top few ILBs in your draft class then your likelihood of going in the 2nd round is exceptional.

Here are some alibis though:

The NFL is a passing league now. Even the best run teams usually tend to pass more than run barring a few exceptions like the Ravens with Lamar Jackson right now. Mack Wilson is only comparable to CJ Mosley as an inside backer in pass coverage. I think he's better than Mosley and his interception numbers through two seasons of contribution in regular defense can attest. He's a ballhawking inside backer and that is a rare skill set. We're talking about a guy who would have been a top 15 pick in the days where Tampa-2 was in vogue and that 43 defense Mike LB would often be sinking deep into the void between the split safeties in the middle of the field. Tampa-2 is mostly defunct as a primary defense now but the need for coverage linebackers is probably as high as ever with teams slicing defenses up with interior passing. I think he may just be a unideal scheme fit for the defense we run and if you evaluate him as a 43 defense Mike or Will LB particularly in Seahawks type C-3 schemes then his draft projection increases dramatically.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The NFL scouts have forgotten more about evaluating these players than you and I will ever know, combined. That said, they can see the film and see that he has freakish athletic ability, so I'm sure he'd be drafted - but there's little question he needs more time to develop reading his keys - and that would certainly count against his draft status.
NFL Scouts will watch Mack under a microscope. Any mistakes will hurt his draft numbers.
Looking back we have had guys everyone said were sure things in the first round.
Some of these guys got the call in rounds 3-6. Cost em a bunch of money.
Coming back and learning more and impressing the scouts would likely make Mack extra millions or dollars.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.