Mack Wilson Hints at Coming Back for Senior Year

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
The career ended in an instant still weighs heavy on my mind. Prothro play cannot get out of my mind many years later. It's stuck.
Mine too. I think about him all the time.
Yeah me too. I can't watch replays of when someone get bad hurt now. My son's asked me once why I turn my head and told them about Prothro. 3 of the 4 play football now and I pray before every game that God keeps both teams safe from injury.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
We would all love to have him back, but there is nothing that he could do next year that would improve his draft status. He risks everything by staying. He deserves the rewards that he has worked so hard to earn.
I just don't know how this is true.

Every time I turn on game replay's I think it's Mack and Savion Smith who are the weakest links on the field. I don't know what scouts are seeing that make them think he is 1st round material AT THIS MOMENT. The game still looks too fast for him a lot of the time.

Clearly I must be missing something. Quite obviously I am uneducated about what to be looking for and I don't mean that sarcastically. Somebody please tell me what I'm missing when I re-watch these games with Mack. Yah, he's had some OK games where he has been consistent, but I see a LOT of plays where he is out of position, getting caught in the wash, taking bad angles, not getting off blocks, getting torched by RB's and TE's and not getting any pressure on the QB whatsoever on his blitzes. He doesn't meet people in the hole nearly as well as Reuben, Mosley, Hightower, or Ragland or of course, McClain. He is faster than all of those guys and is built in the new breed of LB's designed to affect the passing game, but that has been a particular area of weakness to my eyes.

I'm not trying to come down on a player. He's got a lot of the tools necessary, but I really don't think he's put it all together yet and if I'm an NFL team, I'm not spending 1st round money betting that he puts it all together in camp. Personally, I think 1 more year in the system gets him where he needs to go. I just don't see it right now, despite what's being said.

And if his tweets are any indication, he has decided to come back likely based on knowing some of this. Mack seems like a guy with a stable ego. Always the first to shoulder blame and an unbelievably hard worker. I think that next year he and Moses will be nightmares.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I just don't know how this is true.

Every time I turn on game replay's I think it's Mack and Savion Smith who are the weakest links on the field. I don't know what scouts are seeing that make them think he is 1st round material AT THIS MOMENT. The game still looks too fast for him a lot of the time.

Clearly I must be missing something. Quite obviously I am uneducated about what to be looking for and I don't mean that sarcastically. Somebody please tell me what I'm missing when I re-watch these games with Mack. Yah, he's had some OK games where he has been consistent, but I see a LOT of plays where he is out of position, getting caught in the wash, taking bad angles, not getting off blocks, getting torched by RB's and TE's and not getting any pressure on the QB whatsoever on his blitzes. He doesn't meet people in the hole nearly as well as Reuben, Mosley, Hightower, or Ragland or of course, McClain. He is faster than all of those guys and is built in the new breed of LB's designed to affect the passing game, but that has been a particular area of weakness to my eyes.

I'm not trying to come down on a player. He's got a lot of the tools necessary, but I really don't think he's put it all together yet and if I'm an NFL team, I'm not spending 1st round money betting that he puts it all together in camp. Personally, I think 1 more year in the system gets him where he needs to go. I just don't see it right now, despite what's being said.

And if his tweets are any indication, he has decided to come back likely based on knowing some of this. Mack seems like a guy with a stable ego. Always the first to shoulder blame and an unbelievably hard worker. I think that next year he and Moses will be nightmares.

I don’t want to speak for another poster, but I’m pretty certain they were taking about Q. Williams in this post. We all would love to have him back but he’s a first rounder. That’s who we were talking about there.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don’t want to speak for another poster, but I’m pretty certain they were taking about Q. Williams in this post. We all would love to have him back but he’s a first rounder. That’s who we were talking about there.
Ohhhhhhh- yah, if that's true then scrap everything I said. I went back and read but must have msised that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree. While incredibly athletic Mack was not in the right place a lot of the time and I remember hearing rumblings he did not make the right calls in the early part of the season. Mack's performance in the semi and final last season had me thinking Foster/Mosley/Hightower also but he is not there yet and he made the right decision to come back if true. I saw him in some moch draft 1st round in the pre-season and in early fall but have not seen any lately and his tape this year is not going to convince too many GM's/coaches to draft him in the 1st round IMO. I will be very happy to have Mack and Dylan as our ILB's next year!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks - We were, indeed, talking about Q.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I agree. While incredibly athletic Mack was not in the right place a lot of the time and I remember hearing rumblings he did not make the right calls in the early part of the season.
Mack's performance in the semi and final last season had me thinking Foster/Mosley/Hightower also but he is not there yet and he made the right decision to come back if true. I saw him in some moch draft 1st round in the pre-season and in early fall but have not seen any lately and his tape this year is not going to convince too many GM's/coaches to draft him in the 1st round IMO. I will be very happy to have Mack and Dylan as our ILB's next year!
That`s my thought as to his coming back. That would be to learn, perhaps becoming more instinctive, particularly in directing a defense. There`s a risk, sure, but he could end up an absolute monster with improvements in that area plus his natural physical abilities.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
This is the first I’ve heard of a first round grade.
That's the thing - The people who know the most are guys like Nick Saban with his relationships with every coach and GM in the NFL.. with open door policy to practices/players at Alabama at any time.

These Mock Drafts and speculation are just that. Every year we see guys who were mocked to go in top 5 drop 10 spots.. or top 10 slip to 20 something... occasionally we'll see a top 10 pick slip down to 30-32 and definitely anyone past 15th Rd. can certainly slip to 2nd round.

If the player doesn't go to the team people suspect will pick them up due to need,.. it can be a while before another team comes around that does have that need and is willing to burn a 1st round pick on them.

All that aside -- Mack Wilson isn't ready for the NFL yet. He has too much to learn at the Mike position at the collegiate level. He hasn't mastered it and it would be a shame to leave Saban's development before that occurs.

When you get into the league you also have to Make and Stay on the squad. Plenty of 1st rounders have been picked up and let go after a few years etc.

Bottom line: I definitely feel Mack Wilson needs another year in the 'system' to truly live up to his 1st round grade (probably move up as well).. each position moved up is a lot of money in that 1st round.. and to be Year 1 Starter ready for the NFL.

On the flipside: Of course NFL is a lot of money but I see someone as talented as Wilson with another year to hang around and develop (who has shown the NEED to do so this year) as merely investing in his own future on multiple levels.

We'll see.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's the thing - The people who know the most are guys like Nick Saban with his relationships with every coach and GM in the NFL.. with open door policy to practices/players at Alabama at any time.

These Mock Drafts and speculation are just that. Every year we see guys who were mocked to go in top 5 drop 10 spots.. or top 10 slip to 20 something... occasionally we'll see a top 10 pick slip down to 30-32 and definitely anyone past 15th Rd. can certainly slip to 2nd round.

If the player doesn't go to the team people suspect will pick them up due to need,.. it can be a while before another team comes around that does have that need and is willing to burn a 1st round pick on them.

All that aside -- Mack Wilson isn't ready for the NFL yet. He has too much to learn at the Mike position at the collegiate level. He hasn't mastered it and it would be a shame to leave Saban's development before that occurs.

When you get into the league you also have to Make and Stay on the squad. Plenty of 1st rounders have been picked up and let go after a few years etc.

Bottom line: I definitely feel Mack Wilson needs another year in the 'system' to truly live up to his 1st round grade (probably move up as well).. each position moved up is a lot of money in that 1st round.. and to be Year 1 Starter ready for the NFL.

On the flipside: Of course NFL is a lot of money but I see someone as talented as Wilson with another year to hang around and develop (who has shown the NEED to do so this year) as merely investing in his own future on multiple levels.

We'll see.
This won't be the last time this is said during this draft cycle - the mock drafts are based on what scouts tell them. It's not like these guys just come up with it on their own.

Yes, they can be duked. It's happened and will continue to happen because the organizations have to watch out for number one.

Another reason a mock draft can bomb is a team deciding to take need #3 over another when the mock figures they go with need #1.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
Yeah. My point was that I would be surprised to see Lewis without zero in game playtime this year have a major, if any, role in the final 1-2 games.
It makes me think he's like 90% but just not quite where he thought he would be and is essentially missing a step right now that he won't regain till the offseason.
The silver lining - Bama gets the best edge rushing LB'r that won't have a learning curve on the field for 2019 season and it's pretty definite as Lewis needs a HEALTHY year to put some significant stats up for that draft grade -- We all know what he's capable of but GM's, Scout's Coaches .. I'm sure.. want to see more film on him, his durability, etc. Given how long he's been in the program he should really break out.

I was hoping Lewis would make it back for game 4-3-2-1 (Auburn - SECCG - Semi - Final) be redshirted and be able to really be a difference maker with his ability to generate a pass rush.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.