Question: Which Power 5 teams do we have a losing record against?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The record is 3-1-1. Alabama won in the Orange Bowl behind Joe Willie, 17-0. We tied in the old Blubonnet Bowl 20-20. Then the home-home in 2002-03. I believe your 2002 team won the SEC west. I was at both games and this series is what brought me to Tidefans. For the record, Bob's comments about the SEC were highly complimentary of Alabama. His point was that the conference as a whole, like other conferences, had its weaker members and wasn't all it was being made out to be top to bottom. He was also speaking from a position as a member of the Big 12 south which at that time was a very tough division. This all reminds me of the next time coach Fran brought a team to Norman ( 77-0 ). The OU student section began chanting "Roll Tide."
2002 Alabama was on a post season ban so we couldn’t “win” the SECW, but we did really stick it to the SEC by forcing everyone not a Georgia fan to watch the second worst SECCG ever.

2002 Alabama vs Oklahoma was a pretty epic game even though we came out on the losing end.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Even though we may trail in the series, I`ve kind of felt we`ve exorcised the demons as far as Texas and ND, especially of late. OU? Another story. We need to win this one. I`m starting to run out of time!

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
That 2002 game was a hot day. The Blubonnet Bowl was as I recall when the Bear started considering switching to the triple-option. We had changed to it that year right before the Texas game and were still experimenting with it. The next year, when Mildren was a senior, we exploded with it. Our version was built on speed vs the power version used by Texas.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I want those loud-mouths from Cumberland.

On a serious note, I'd be okay with using this list for future scheduling.
North Illinois should be invited to Tuscaloosa for the "pay-back butt-whippin'."
As should Rice (x4), and UCF (x2).

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That 2002 game was a hot day. The Blubonnet Bowl was as I recall when the Bear started considering switching to the triple-option. We had changed to it that year right before the Texas game and were still experimenting with it. The next year, when Mildren was a senior, we exploded with it. Our version was built on speed vs the power version used by Texas.
Greg Pruitt killed us in that bluebonnet bowl. Best pure runner I think the Sooners have ever had, including Billy Sims. Had a darn good NFL career also.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
A good number of the losses to these teams happened when I was a student at UA (2000-2004).

They were all tough to swallow because they were either opponents who had no business beating us (UCF) or a quality team that we had a true shot at beating but did something to blow the game. The 2002 game in Norman comes to mind...where we have a legitimate shot at a scoring drive to win the game and the whiff/fumble happened. I was in Pasadena for the 2000 UCLA game...and in BDS the following year for the other loss to the Bruins.

My time as a student was not a good one as a football fan. I can honestly say I saw the worst of Alabama football in the modern era. Kids today have no clue what it was like (now I'm sounding like an old man). Regardless of how bad we were, I still expected us to win every game we played.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The record is 3-1-1. Alabama won in the Orange Bowl behind Joe Willie, 17-0. We tied in the old Blubonnet Bowl 20-20. Then the home-home in 2002-03. I believe your 2002 team won the SEC west. I was at both games and this series is what brought me to Tidefans. For the record, Bob's comments about the SEC were highly complimentary of Alabama. His point was that the conference as a whole, like other conferences, had its weaker members and wasn't all it was being made out to be top to bottom. He was also speaking from a position as a member of the Big 12 south which at that time was a very tough division. This all reminds me of the next time coach Fran brought a team to Norman ( 77-0 ). The OU student section began chanting "Roll Tide."
There was the "rumor" that the Sooner band also played "Yeah Alabama" that day. I've never seen anything definitive (video proof) but, nonetheless, we owe the Sooners for the "Roll Tide" gesture!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the most annoying game of all time is the 2014 Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma. On one side the fans of the losing team just says “ we weren’t motivated to play in a meaningless exhibition” and the other side the winners of that let the loser’s opinion taint their win. Seriously I’ve seen, read, and heard how Oklahoma fans and media personalities just constantly try to make Alabama fans admit the Alabama team was playing fully motivated and lost. I’ve never seen this out of the Utah fans when Alabama fans used the same excuse.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
There was the "rumor" that the Sooner band also played "Yeah Alabama" that day. I've never seen anything definitive (video proof) but, nonetheless, we owe the Sooners for the "Roll Tide" gesture!
I think the two bands played each others' fight tunes or they played them together in a respectful gesture. I am pretty certain I heard about positive exchanges between those two groups during that game and don't think them playing our song was meant as a slight to us at all.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the two bands played each others' fight tunes or they played them together in a respectful gesture. I am pretty certain I heard about positive exchanges between those two groups during that game and don't think them playing our song was meant as a slight to us at all.
It was more of a shot at Franchonie in 2003 for leaving Alabama. He got blown out that year.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Not to hijack the thread, (but i guess I am!)......but I recall 3 teams Coach Bryant never beat. Most Bama fans easily get 2 of the 3, but whiff on the 3rd.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Notre Dame was basically everything that happened in the the 60’s and 70’s.

Oklahoma losses are mostly an annoyance for most because 2 were during a probation period and one was a game in which Alabama didn’t play inspired while Oklahoma played very inspired in a meaningless bowl game to Bama fans. It changed the series from 1-0 UA to 3-1 OU.

I think Texas having a series lead pains Bama fans more than Oklahoma having one on us.
Nothing pains me as much as recent OK losses. I was born in Alabama; graduated from UofA in ‘70; and have lived in Tulsa since 1978. During my time in OK, we’ve played OU 3 times and OK State once. We lost all 4 games. I’m trying to stay optimistic this time, but all the prior losses leave me with a bad premonition. Please let this be the time!!!

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Cumberland is 1-0 against us. Aren't they the team that Georgia Tech beat by over 200 points? Ouch!
Looking up that 1903 Cumberland team...good grief those guys were pretty darn good. They shutout 6 of their 8 opponents 297-0. They had one loss to Sewanee (6-0) and tied Clemson (11-11).

Worth noting, in 1903, touchdowns and field goals were both worth 5 points with the PAT still tacking on 1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.