Does Locksley coach the Playoffs?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
i dont get some of the hate for coach Lock...he was great by most peoples admission all year and because of 1 game, some want him gone to Maryland ASAP.
I don't think it's hate, or one subpar game. I think it's the concern that he might be distracted by all the other things the maryland job will put on his plate and that he will not be able to dedicate the amount of time and focus to the OC job at hand to be successful. When Smart left, we could tell the D was less prepared than usual. When Kiffin left, it's like they didn't prepare at all or even have the same playbook. There's a track record of this happening to justify concern, no matter how great of a job we all think Locks has done

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gosh, it's like some of y'all weren't even paying attention last season when Bama won the championship and lost virtually all the assistants along the way.

ONE time this has screwed Bama - and that was because Kiffin acted like an amateur idiot in how he handled himself. Shocking, I know.
I was just about to add something similar. The problem was not that Kiffin became distracted by the new job. The problem was that he no longer had restraints on the same old personal problems which had dogged him for years. His behavior before the semi game made retaining him for the final imperative. Sark's elevation was forced. In Lock's case, we have a mature coach who really cares about his kids and about the game. Sure, Enos and others will have to bear more of the load, but, in the end, it's not going to hurt the team or preparation...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't know about this one. I respect Coach Locksley and think he has done a very good job this year. But I have also seen some calls that really made me scratch my head and wonder what he was thinking. I am not talking about the plays that seemed reasonable enough but just got blown up for whatever reason. You can call the best play in the world but if the defense has called the right counter, it won't work. No, I am talking about plays that make me wonder why in the world he would have wanted to call that, even if they were successful. Biggest one: putting an injured Tua at risk with QB run plays. Also, maybe not getting us a little bit more run heavy overall (not back to the old days, just a little more running) to take advantage of all that talent we have at RB as well. And I am sure I am not the only one who noticed our offense as a whole did slow down in the second half of the season. Some of that, obviously, was due to injuries, which he is not responsible for. Another part is defensive coordinators are figuring it out, and I do not know how well he has adjusted accordingly.

But the calls in this last game, in my opinion, cost Tua the Heisman. I said this in another thread, but it honestly felt like every call we made was the exact opposite of what we should have. I do not recall UGA's offensive coordinator's name, but up until the latter half of the 4th quarter, he had called a better game as OC than Locksley had. Locksley didn't get it together until Jalen got in the game. It was almost like an entirely different person was calling that game than the one who had all year. If the distraction from a job interview was enough to cause that, then I would rather him just pack on up and go. If he can call it as well as he did the first half of the season, then of course he should stay.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Gosh, it's like some of y'all weren't even paying attention last season when Bama won the championship and lost virtually all the assistants along the way.

ONE time this has screwed Bama - and that was because Kiffin acted like an amateur idiot in how he handled himself. Shocking, I know.
Ironically Kiffin saved us when Kirby was more busy stabbing us in the back than preparing for Deshaun Watson.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't know about this one. I respect Coach Locksley and think he has done a very good job this year. But I have also seen some calls that really made me scratch my head and wonder what he was thinking. I am not talking about the plays that seemed reasonable enough but just got blown up for whatever reason. You can call the best play in the world but if the defense has called the right counter, it won't work. No, I am talking about plays that make me wonder why in the world he would have wanted to call that, even if they were successful. Biggest one: putting an injured Tua at risk with QB run plays. Also, maybe not getting us a little bit more run heavy overall (not back to the old days, just a little more running) to take advantage of all that talent we have at RB as well. And I am sure I am not the only one who noticed our offense as a whole did slow down in the second half of the season. Some of that, obviously, was due to injuries, which he is not responsible for. Another part is defensive coordinators are figuring it out, and I do not know how well he has adjusted accordingly.

Defenses haven't figured out the offense. Injuries to Tua and Deonte Brown led to some of the offensive struggles (can you call averaging 16 points in the first half over the last five games struggles?). Those injuries were only compounded by Alabama facing the best defenses on the schedule in the last month of the season
But the calls in this last game, in my opinion, cost Tua the Heisman. I said this in another thread, but it honestly felt like every call we made was the exact opposite of what we should have. I do not recall UGA's offensive coordinator's name, but up until the latter half of the 4th quarter, he had called a better game as OC than Locksley had.
Jim Cheney is Georgia's OC.

Locksley didn't get it together until Jalen got in the game. It was almost like an entirely different person was calling that game than the one who had all year. If the distraction from a job interview was enough to cause that, then I would rather him just pack on up and go. If he can call it as well as he did the first half of the season, then of course he should stay.
It seems having a QB that doesn't have a high ankle sprain on his plant leg makes a big difference or something.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

But the calls in this last game, in my opinion, cost Tua the Heisman. I said this in another thread, but it honestly felt like every call we made was the exact opposite of what we should have. I do not recall UGA's offensive coordinator's name, but up until the latter half of the 4th quarter, he had called a better game as OC than Locksley had. Locksley didn't get it together until Jalen got in the game. It was almost like an entirely different person was calling that game than the one who had all year. If the distraction from a job interview was enough to cause that, then I would rather him just pack on up and go. If he can call it as well as he did the first half of the season, then of course he should stay.
My thought is that it wasn't so much play calling, as execution. Tua was injured, worse than anyone thought, and couldn't play his normal game. His passes were off, and he couldn't scramble at all. Georgia was running different LB blitzes etc all game, and when Jalen came in, he was able to elude that. I'm hoping the job interview distraction is over now, (he's got the job), and Locks can do like Pruitt last year. Pruitt was leaving but he did a great job of finishing up as DC.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm really getting annoyed that this keeps happening, so tired of crappy teams coming in and trying to ruin our playoff runs. I would add a condition to all assistant contracts so that they can not talk to other schools until after the CFP. Yes, that's selfish but I don't care.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm really getting annoyed that this keeps happening, so tired of crappy teams coming in and trying to ruin our playoff runs. I would add a condition to all assistant contracts so that they can not talk to other schools until after the CFP. Yes, that's selfish but I don't care.
With early signing day that logic makes no sense anymore.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think we have to rely on CML's personal integrity -- which has been outstanding. He worked hard to hold down a rebellion among the receivers when TT was not being played. He barely missed a day or 2 when his own son died -- he came back and went to work even when CNS told him he could take some time if he wanted.

We've all beat back and forth the play-calling/execution horse until it is on life support. In the end, good plays executed by good, well-prepared players, work most of the time -- but not all of the time. Without mobility TT was a sitting duck for UGA's defense...MT is not chopped liver, neither are his players.

IMHO, I am glad CML is getting another shot at a head coaching position, but am more delighted that he is staying for the playoffs. My real fear is that he will shut down our pipeline (after this year) to the DMV area. It has been and is very good to us...

BTW -- y'all really had fun last night I see. LOL.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Locks has been a great OC and assistant coach and that he's very worthy of the honor and another shot at a HCing position.

But, he's also been calling plays with arguably the most talented offensive players, collectively, that we've every had. I don't know if a "fart" in the OC mic could result in a TD, like was earlier stated (I LOL at that), but he's had a great situation to work with.

I wish him well. I think he's got enough integrity to make the transition work, but I also think our next OC is in the catbird's seat too.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
i dont get some of the hate for coach Lock...he was great by most peoples admission all year and because of 1 game, some want him gone to Maryland ASAP.
Don't forget - it was not the play calling against GA that was the problem. It was the execution. I kept saying during the game - check it down to your outlet receiver Tua. He did not do that. He held the ball and couldn't scramble on his ankle. Heck - he could have thrown it away. I get irritated when a lot of people immediately blame the play calling. Locksley should finish the season as the OC. He deserves it.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Me too, but if Bama sucked then nobody would want our coaches. I think I'll take being good and people wanting to hire our coaches.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The "change" is already made. Of course, University of Alabama wouldn't have wanted to make a change now. No one said to put his things in a box and have security walk him to the door. He may keep his title as OC and not resign until Alabama loses their last game. I almost expect that to happen. But Locksley won't be able to concentrate on designing a game plan for (hopefully) 2 teams. Someone will need to do the OC job whether Locksley resigns now or sticks it out with most of his attention focused on Maryland. I haven't seen any hating on Locksley just the sober realization that he can't have one rear in two saddles.
I don't want to lose our last game...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Good.

Sent from my iPad[emoji208]
Maryland's new Coach could have Two National Championship Rings to wave under the nose of recruits next year. If he can devote enough time to planning our Offense, I want him very much involved in WINNING OUR LAST TWO GAMES...

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I probably know a lot more about him than you do. He is from the B1G. I knew of him before you ever knew he was alive. And I am not saying that he won't be a great OC some day, but Locks is a great OC RIGHT NOW.

Your offense this year is the best that the NCAA has ever seen. Better than OU's by a long shot. Their stats look better because they play against air. But you want to let Locks go because he might not be focused enough and take a chance with a guy who has never run an offense like this - EVER.

SMH
I have to say I am a bit confused by your post. Dan Enos has been an OC in the past, and has been a very good one. Probably better than Locksley ever was at any school not named Alabama. He isn’t some newbie learning on the job.

That said, Locksley has been pretty good this year, though the last month I’ve felt we’ve abandoned the run for no discernible reason and try to force pass plays. I am sure you understand people being concerned, not about his playcalling, but about his ability to gameplan and focus, considering that over the last 3 years we had Kirby forget to gameplan against Clemson, and Kiffin forcing us to kick him out the week before the NC game. Pruitt is the only one who seemed to have the ability to focus on the task at hand. So since 2015 we are 1 for 3. I Saban thinks Locksley can do it, I am ok with that. At the same time, Dan Enos isn’t suddenly going to tank the offense if he is handed the keys.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The alternative is not having coaches people want, which means you ain't winning.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.