Players leaving early for the draft

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think you are right. Even though this is a weak safety draft I just don't see him going in the first round.
I would tend to absolutely agree given how Jekyl and Hyde his season was. He absolutely disappeared late. The NFL is ALL about needs though and they don’t get 25-30 chances to get them right like college does. This draft is just low in all of the possible positions IMO. Of the top 15 picks only Oakland desperately need a safety. That said, I’m thinking they have like 3-4 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds. OL class is weak, LB weak, and QB is laughable compared with the last couple of classes. It’s a great year for the tweener ranked players to try so I can easily see why they are declaring. I wish them all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
As much as I'd like to have him back, he'll likely have the longest (and potentially best) NFL career of any Bama player in the this year's draft. He's not perfect, but he's very smart and determined.
I see this too. I thought the same thing about Eddie Jackson and he’s absolutely tearing it up on Sunday. DT didn’t get to benefit from the amount of playing time that EJ did because of Minkah. If he’d had played since his freshman year I’m betting he would be very similar. Thinking someone is going to get a 2nd-3rd round steal. Probably 2nd considering this class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
I see Savion as Speedy Noil. Declared early, went undrafted. Now unemployed. Red flags all over the place.

What makes him think he’s ready for the next level is beyond me.

One more year would help him. But not upset he’s leaving.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Yea, he was burned by the friction of Clemson's receivers blowing by him.
It may well be he wouldn’t start next year so maybe he is thinking take his shot at the NFL as a starter vs. a non next year. Who knows? Probably best he moves on anyway after that last performance.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think this is why he is going. There are better players behind him ready to play. Hope he does well in the NFL.
This. If he knew he had his spot for next year, he wouldn't declare for NFL. He really doesn't have a choice. If he can work on his coverage skills, he will be fine. Guys, just wish him best and hope he does well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thompson looked like an All-American in the playoffs last year and the first half of this year. He has the tools but I’m not sure he will be a first round pick. I wish I could say the same about Mack.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I really hope we cultivate a deep defensive rotation the first half of the season. With Tua and Co we should be able to put up enough points to weather the storm. Maybe the changing of the guard can be a good thing—new blood, new attitude.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Deionte and Mack made awful decisions. Best of luck to them.
They both will get drafted not latter than the second round. Mack is going to improve a tremendous amount with coaching. His coverage skill alone may push him to the first round. Deionte had some mental mistakes in the second half of the season. His range is unreal. I really wanted Deionte to come back and anchor the secondary next year but that was a selfish desire to have the best safety in the country on our team again. Mac will probably be the 3rd linebacker taken. Deionte will likely be the first.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
NFL isn't a developmental league. They're both rough around the edges. I worry they may both end up busts if they don't land in ideal situations. They both decided to go "high risk" when another year could've assured stability in their professional careers. There is a reason they weren't on the stage with Saban. These are both poor decisions that our staff advised against.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.